Play Book Tag discussion

Me Before You (Me Before You, #1)
This topic is about Me Before You
May 2018: Family Drama > Me Before You by Jojo Moyes ~ 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joni (last edited May 29, 2018 11:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joni | 625 comments Me Before You was a wonderful book. I had seen the movie before reading the book (yes, I did this one backwards).

Louisa Clark is an ordinary young woman living an exceedingly ordinary life—steady boyfriend, close family—who has never been farther afield than their tiny village. She takes a badly needed job working for ex-Master of the Universe Will Traynor, who is wheelchair-bound after an accident. Will has always lived a huge life—big deals, extreme sports, worldwide travel—and now he’s pretty sure he cannot live the way he is.

Will is acerbic, moody, bossy—but Lou refuses to treat him with kid gloves, and soon his happiness means more to her than she expected. When she learns that Will has shocking plans of his own, she sets out to show him that life is still worth living.

A love story for this generation, Me Before You brings to life two people who couldn’t have less in common—a heartbreakingly romantic novel that asks, What do you do when making the person you love happy also means breaking your own heart?

Where does the family drama play out?

**Louisa's family relies on her for the income for the family. Her dad is on hard time with his job; her mother stays home to care for her ailing father; her sister has a child at a young age and doesn't bring in enough money to support him. Louisa loses her job at a local bakery and the family all but freaks out. Then when she lands this new job.....all they seem to see at first were $$$$ signs.

**Will Traynor's family is pretty dysfunctional also. His mom is a little too controlling when it comes to him and his care...he also has a nurse that handles his medical needs; his dad appears at times to be absent, but it's also known that he is having an affair; and Will's sister is very self-centered and thinks it all should be about her & that anything that Will does....he is only thinking of himself.

I really enjoyed this book. At the end of it, i felt emotionally drained even though I knew what was going to happen in the end.

Charlotte | 1663 comments Joni wrote: "Me Before You was a wonderful book. I had seen the movie before reading the book (yes, I did this one backwards).

I watched the movie prior to reading the book as well. Since I knew what was coming, I think I started crying earlier than if I had read the book first. I agree that I felt drained at the end of it. I want to read the next in the series and almost started it right away but decided to take a break first.

Joni | 625 comments Charlotte wrote: "Joni wrote: "Me Before You was a wonderful book. I had seen the movie before reading the book (yes, I did this one backwards).

I watched the movie prior to reading the book as well. Since I knew..."

Yes, I agree, a break between books is needed. I have book 2 on my TBR just waiting for when I am ready.

Charlotte | 1663 comments Joni wrote: Yes, I agree, a break between books is needed. I have book 2 on my TBR just waiting for when I am ready.

You're review reminded me how much I enjoyed it, I may move it up in my TBR pile to be my next.

message 5: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I read the book first, and basically cried through the ENTIRE MOVIE because I knew the ending, lol.

After You is on my nook, waiting to be read.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I did read the book before the movie and then put off seeing the movie because I didn't think they could do it justice. However, I think that they did a good job with the movie too.

I recently read the 3rd book, Still Me, which I liked better than After You.

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I've read the first, but quite some time ago. Should I re-read it, do you-all think, before going on in the series?

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Not really necessary to re-read. The big picture details are summarized.

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Oh, good to know, ty!