Support for Indie Authors discussion

Cover Workshop > Cover Help : The Haunted House of Dracula

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gene (new)

Gene Poschman (geneposchman) | 30 comments My Illustrator just gave me my cover for The Haunted House of Dracula. This is an Illustrated book, not a graphic novel. I'm looking for a younger market but I hope to appeal to young adults. Comments?

description

message 2: by M.L. (last edited May 29, 2018 11:39AM) (new)

M.L. | 1126 comments I like it. I'd pick it up or give it a look inside. Nice. It might be a little youngish for the YA market, but maybe not. It does have a comic feel.

message 3: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4355 comments Mod
It's cute. I really like it. I would have picked this up when I was a child - not a young adult, though. More like when I was eight. As an adult, I'm intrigued as I'm getting an Abbot and Costello Meet Dracula vibe from it.

message 4: by Gene (new)

Gene Poschman (geneposchman) | 30 comments The book will be made up of a narrative that is supported by illustrations to tell the story. The images will not have balloons with dialog in them. While the images have a Disneyesque style, the narrative will be for an older audience. I'm hoping to bridge between readers and audience. How often have you been reading a story and wanted images you could show a younger audience. I'm hoping the story will hold an older audience while the images add a sense of fun and humor to the book.

message 5: by Gene (new)

Gene Poschman (geneposchman) | 30 comments Dwayne, that is an age telling comment and you'd be right. The stories that I will be telling are a bit more sophisticated and I'm hoping they will have a broad audience appeal. A little mystery, adventure, light horror, and humor I hope will interest many.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Has a comic book feel. Not sure that a young adult would pick it up. At first glance, I read Boob and Babbot. Had to re-read that. Is the author name a bit big?

message 7: by Tephra (last edited May 30, 2018 11:36AM) (new)

Tephra Miriam | 18 comments I really like it! The graphics pop and the design is very modern. More of a middle-grade feel to it though versus YA as Dwayne mentioned. To capture a YA audience I would say that you would have to use more of a haunted reality based scene.

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Love it!

message 9: by Camille (last edited May 30, 2018 02:41PM) (new)

Camille Caliman (camillecalimanauthor) I love it. The illustrations are so smooth and round and the font works perfectly. To some it may look comic-ish, but I don't think it will be that big of a deal for most people. I don't think you should change a thing.

message 10: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 45 comments That's awesome. Love the style and detail. Definitely middle grade appeal, but if that's your core audience, then that's who you should appeal to anyway. Anyone who likes middle grade fiction will pick it up.

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela Maher (angelajmaher) | 43 comments I like it and I think it will appeal to a younger audience, but I doubt a YA reader would pick it up.

message 12: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Thatcher (jenna_thatcher) | 132 comments What actual age are you writing for? You say younger but also YA. Does that mean mostly middle school with some younger YA interest?
I love the cover and I can tell you my middle schooler would pick it up.
And I laughed out LOUD at Abbot and Costello meet Dracula. :)

message 13: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Dyer (tldyer) | 1 comments I agree with the others here. An attractive, fun and colourful image, very appealing. Font style suits the genre and the font size is fine. First impressions are that this is for a middle grade audience, but as others have said not YA.

message 14: by Addison (new)

Addison Carmichael | 9 comments Agreed. As a NA/YA author, this cover would not be appealing to that typical audience (ranging from 14-25). However, it would definitely work for a juvenile audience (ranging from 8-12ish). If that reflects your target, then I'd say it's a go.

message 15: by Gene (new)

Gene Poschman (geneposchman) | 30 comments It does

message 16: by Steven (new)

Steven Simpson | 7 comments I agree with others that the illustration and cover in general is very fun. But speaking as a graphic designer (who also writes) the title seems under-sized and the letter spacing way too tight. I had to read the title twice to get the meaning — never a good sign. Your design may be suffering from regrets (you have) about spending a bunch of money on the illustration and now your longish title is covering it all up! The title font is fine, but maybe you should try running it larger (and all letters the same size) and switching to a sans serif font for the secondary text to provide some style separation.

message 17: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1126 comments Well, you never know till you try. The way I read/see the font:
tall & narrow like a haunted house should be; claustrophobic, again appropriate. The way it curves next to the window is reminiscent of a ghost going out/coming in the window. The letters are not on a straight line which mirrors the steps. I look at the picture first and don't mind having to re-read the title. On the other hand, it may work as suggested.

message 18: by J. (new)

J. (jguenther) | 52 comments Gene wrote: "...How often have you been reading a story and wanted images you could show a younger audience. ..."

Since you ask: Never.

message 19: by J. (new)

J. (jguenther) | 52 comments Steven wrote: "...speaking as a graphic designer,..the title seems under-sized and the letter spacing way too tight. I had to read the title twice to get the meaning — never a good sign....and now your longish title is covering it all up!..."

The same things bothered me, too. The cover is definitely not YA-focused. More like MG or younger. The all-caps title is way too busy. With some title corrections, the cover is not a bad effort, just not aimed at the market you're writing for.

message 20: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Thatcher (jenna_thatcher) | 132 comments I get what the critics are saying about font, etc. but I have to tell you I still love this cover. I believe you might do better marketing toward middle grade, but there will definitely be a younger YA market there and some hi-lo readers that will love it.

message 21: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4355 comments Mod
No links. Thanks.

message 22: by Gene (new)

Gene Poschman (geneposchman) | 30 comments My apologies, it won't happen again.

Gene Poschman

message 23: by P.J. (new)

P.J. DeVere | 5 comments I agree with a lot of the earlier posts, but would add one thing. Keep in mind many times kids want to be older, cooler, than they are. I don’t think it would hurt to market it with a more grown up YA cover in mind. You’re more likely to catch middle school kids with a YA cover than YA kids with a middle school one.