Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > Dark Places - Gillian Flynn - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian (branderson) When it comes to family drama novels, I feel as though I oftentimes come across two scenarios: there is either TOO MUCH drama or NOT ENOUGH drama.

With Dark Places, this is one of those novels that almost got it right. The novel follows the story of the sole survivor of "The Satan Sacrifice" of Kinnakee, Kansas that led to the murders of her mother and two sisters - and her only brother being convicted of the murders. We follow her as she digs into her past to learn about what exactly happened that night.

Ultimately, the family drama sounded familiar: angsty teenage boy towards his poor family, annoying younger sisters, kids falling into the wrong friend circles, etc. But then new additions to the drama (to prevent spoilers, I won't list them) are added, you get sucked into a mystery that is ALMOST believable. In the end, I feel like a few of the twists later on in the novel took me out of the book and became too unbelievable. However, the story kept me hooked and was well written.

Would love any suggestions from my fellow Book Tag friends if they've read this book and have found similar titles!

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments It depends on the direction you want to go- a few that I read that gave me the same feel as this one are Mildred Pierce and 1Q84. The Murakami is long, but worth the read.

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian (branderson) Tracy wrote: "It depends on the direction you want to go- a few that I read that gave me the same feel as this one are Mildred Pierce and 1Q84. The Murakami is long, but worth the r..."

I was looking at 1Q84 for the June tag topic! Small world. But like you mentioned, not sure I'd be able to finish it within the month. Best way to learn is to do! I'll give it a go :) Thanks for the suggestions, Tracy!

message 4: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Final Girls is the first that pops into my head with a similar feel and theme. The Roanoke Girls was also eerie but has ALOT of disturbingly dark themes, so you have been warned.