Play Book Tag discussion

Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident
This topic is about Dead Mountain
Archive: Other Books > Dead Mountain by Donnie Eichar - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1662 comments Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident by Donnie Eichar
4 stars

In 1959 a group of hikers on winter break from University headed into the Ural mountain wilderness to summit the Otorten Mountain. They were all experienced mountaineers and their goal was to use this trip to move up to the next level of mountaineering experience, Grade III. The hikers never returned and search teams were eventually sent out to try to find them. When they found their tent, it looked like the group had just stepped out and would be back at any time, but as they started searching the area, they started finding members of the group. A couple of months after the initial search the last of the group was found and it determined that they had perished from violent circumstances.

During that time and over the years since, there has been many theories as to what happened to the group. Everything from avalanche to aliens was proposed, but no one could determine an answer and it has gone unsolved.

It will never be known, exactly what happened, on that mountain in early Feb 1959 but the author does a great job proposing his theory on what unfolded that night. I really enjoyed how he laid out the book. He unfolded the story of 1959 and added in how his research went as he was completing it in 2013. I really like how he laid it out and had both the past and the present support each other. As part of his research, Eicher even went to the spot where the tent was found. I also really liked that he laid out the various theories and went over the plausibility of each one. He also provides insight as to what led him to his theory and the research that went into it. As a conclusion he provides what could have happened and what the hikers could have experienced that night based on what he proposes.

I thought it was a well put together and well written book. It was a quick read and I enjoyed it. It also gave insight into what it was like in Russia during that time and in 2013.

message 2: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2097 comments Great review. Already on my TBR and you made me want to read it all the more.

Sushicat | 805 comments Also read it this month. Fully agree with your review, though I seem to be a bit more stingy - I rated it 3.4 stars. I would have loved to learn more about the people who supported him in Russia.

Charlotte | 1662 comments Sushicat wrote: "Also read it this month. Fully agree with your review, though I seem to be a bit more stingy - I rated it 3.4 stars. I would have loved to learn more about the people who supported him in Russia."

I tend to correlate stars with how easy it was for me to put the book down. The harder it is for me to put the book down, the more forgivable I am on other things. That being said, I could see where he was light on the people who supported him in Russia, but that didn't bother me or impact my rating. I like that he focused on the hikers that went missing and the science. The more I review books, I notice I struggle with too much detail about things.