Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Group Business > New Yorker article on Chinmamanda Ngozi Adichie

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments What a great essay! Interesting that she wants to protect her child from knowing that she is Black rather than just raising her to see being Black as a positive thing.

message 3: by George (new)

George | 773 comments I thought there were a number of interesting bits, including that one!

message 4: by Aleatha (last edited May 29, 2018 06:27PM) (new)

Aleatha Terrell | 12 comments That was a great observation Wilhelmina. I felt unsettled about her insistence that her daughter not know she is black. I related to her desire to protect her daughter but I felt her attempt to completely isolate her daughter was misguided and ultimately futile. But your distinction was perfect. Why not try to teach her daughter to value blackness as a distinct and valuable culture?

I enjoyed the essay. I can’t wait to see Chimamanda tackle contemporary Nigerian society. I want a story set entirely in Lagos or Abuja or Atlanta but in a completely Nigerian setting. I enjoyed Americanah but I was not fully convinced when Chimamanda wrote about black america. There’s something about her tone that discomforts me, which admittedly might be my own issue. But I still enjoy reading her thoughts on love and class in Nigerian culture.

message 5: by Aubrey (last edited May 29, 2018 06:19PM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Adichie's own words about racism and cookies could be thrown back at her regarding her transphobia. A disappointing moment in an otherwise informative piece.

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie George, thanks for bringing this article to our attention. I can't imagine what it must be like to be Adichie in Nigeria. Crazy celebrity status which we don't see in authors in the US. Some of her views and comments will inevitably anger people, but her talent in writing is hard to argue. I wish her the best in raising her daughter because there are no easy choices or perfect ways to raise a child in our world.

message 7: by George (new)

George | 773 comments It seems she's become so prominent that pretty much anything she says will irritate someone, either in the US or Nigeria, but I imagine her opinions on a variety of topics will continue to evolve over time. But I don't think many people are inclined to argue her talent in writing.

If there is a perfect way to raise a child, I never found it. Adichie seems to be torn between raising her as black in the US or as a girl in Nigeria. Both choices impose awareness of societal limitations for her child, per Adichie's comments.