2022 ONTD Reading Challenge discussion

2018 ♦️ARCHIVES♦️ June > JUNE 2018 - “Who?”

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 327 comments Mod
This month, learn more about someone by reading a biography or a memoir!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

res

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Hopefully the ONTD post will go up today :) sorry about the delay!

thanks for those recs Jamie!

message 5: by Cathryn (new)

Cathryn (esmenoir) | 33 comments I have a few recommendations as well:

Stalin's Daughter: The Extraordinary and Tumultuous Life of Svetlana Alliluyeva
Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body
Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman
Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More
Meaty

I got started a little early and I just read Hunger this week -- it was excellent, but pretty heart breaking. I have a lot of memoirs that I've accumulated on my Kindle over the past few years and haven't read yet. Before June is over, I'd also like to read:

The Year of Magical Thinking
The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl
Scrappy Little Nobody

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Ashley | 25 comments Thanks for the recs! I wanted something light this month so I choseScrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick. Hopefully it is entertaining and least somewhat funny?

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim | 65 comments Has anyone read the Rachel Dolezal bio? lol

message 8: by Dainey (new)

Dainey | 69 comments I'm definitely going to read Poirot and Me.

I'm a huge fan of the tv series, yet somehow only found out a couple of months ago that he'd written a book about it!

message 9: by Lea (new)

Lea | 327 comments Mod
Here are some "medical memoirs":

Uncle Tungsten by Oliver Sacks - Sacks was a neurologist, he's famous for his books on brain disorders like The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, and he was known for writing with a lot of humanity. This is the first of his memoirs, he led a fascinating life
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi - a memoir by a neurosurgeon who had cancer. It's very sad but very very beautifully written.
This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor by Adam Kay - this is currently a best-seller in the UK. It's by a NHS doctor who ended up quitting and became a comedian
Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery by Henry Marsh - another memoir by a neurosurgeon (there are so many). This is really about the nitty-gritty of brain surgery
The Language of Kindness: A Nurse's Story by Christie Watson - also currently a bestseller in the UK. Watson was a nurse for 20 years

message 10: by Undine (new)

Undine | 84 comments I'm gonna read Wishful Drinking because everyone else on the planet has and I own it.

Would John Carreyrou's new book about Theranos count? Or does it have to be a person specifically, and not a company built around someone's evil persona?

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Undine wrote: "I'm gonna read Wishful Drinking because everyone else on the planet has and I own it.

Would John Carreyrou's new book about Theranos count? Or does it have to be a person specifical..."

hmm.. i would say it doesn't count since it's more about the business than Elizabeth Holmes

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim | 65 comments I'm angry that I didn't wait to read the David Lynch bio Room to Dream lol i just finished it. Great read.

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim | 65 comments Does this count Frontier Spirit ?

message 15: by phoenix_singing (last edited May 29, 2018 07:11PM) (new)

phoenix_singing (icanhasbooksplease) | 6 comments Ah, there are some in the ONTD post that have my attention!

I was wondering about The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II or Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory too - would those work?

If you fixate on the Osama bin Laden mission like I do (I have fun fixations), The Operator: Firing the Shots that Killed Osama bin Laden and My Years as a SEAL Team Warrior is a legitimately enjoyable read. Dude's got a great writing voice and a decent sense of humor.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

hmm it seems to me that Frontier Spirit and The Girls of Atomic City are about many different ppl at a particular period of time so they don't really work

looks like Smoke Gets In Your Eyes works though, it's tagged memoir!

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Kim wrote: "I'm angry that I didn't wait to read the David Lynch bio Room to Dream lol i just finished it. Great read."

ohh i want to read this!!!!!!

message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin (pivella) | 3 comments I plan on reading:

Geisha, a Life Mineko Iwasaki tells her life story from early childhood to being a geisha.

Elizabeth I This lady was way ahead of her time. While she chose never to marry, she used the idea of marriage in her politics, like many women today.

The Best We Could Do So this is a graphic novel and memoir depicting one family's journey as refugees from Vietnam to California.

A House in the Sky Honestly, I fell for the beautiful cover at first. But this is a memoir about a woman who wants to travel the world and then is kidnapped and held hostage.

message 21: by Lea (new)

Lea | 327 comments Mod
For anyone looking for biographies of European royalty, try the following authors: Antonia Fraser, Alison Weir, Simon Sebag Montefiore, Helen Rappaport, Nancy Mitford, Robert K. Massie

Between them, they've covered a lot of interesting people!

message 23: by Lea (new)

Lea | 327 comments Mod
The "100 memoirs by women" post on ONTD fits this challenge:

https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com...

message 25: by Susan (last edited May 31, 2018 11:45PM) (new)

Susan | 53 comments In 2015 I started Alison Weir’s The Life of Elizabeth I but I didn’t finish because in 2015 I ALSO started my Masters and any extracurricular non-fiction reading just about melted my brain. But it was quite good so I just put it back on the self as to-read for another time, when my brain was ready for it. Clearly, June is that time lol.

Edit: Actually, since it's Pride Month, does anyone have good LGBTQ+ biography recommendations? I'd love to read one of those too. I've had a look at the GR list but recs if anyone has them are always more helpful haha

message 26: by l (last edited Jun 01, 2018 06:25AM) (new)

l Memoirs or biographies re lgbt people?

For lesbian and bi women’s memoirs:
https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com... tbh

tbh I haven’t read as many biographies on lesbians as I would like to- they’re just not available. There’s a beautiful one on tove jansson called tove jansson: work and love though! I wouldn’t recommend warrior poet on Audre Lorde tbh.

message 27: by l (new)

l Lea wrote: "Here are some "medical memoirs":

Uncle Tungsten by Oliver Sacks - Sacks was a neurologist, he's famous for his books on brain disorders like The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, an..."

Re medical memoirs I’d recommend:

Ask me about my uterus: a woman’s quest to make doctors believe in her pain

If anyone wants graphic memoirs and bios:
Last things - Marisa moss (on her husbands death from als)
Life? or theatre? - Charlotte salomon; her biography as well - to paint her life: Charlotte salomon and the Nazi era
Citizen 13660 - Miné Okubo (Japanese internment)
Katie green - lighter than my shadow (anorexia, sa)
Thi Bui - the best we could do
Una -becoming unbecoming (violence against women)
Maggie thrash - honor girl (lesbian)
Cece Bell - el deafo
Leila abdelrazaq - Baddawi (her fathers story growing up as a Palestinian refugee in Lebanon)
Christine redfern - who is Ana mendieta?
Kate Evans - red Rosa: Rosa Luxemburg

message 28: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 105 comments l. wrote: "Memoirs or biographies re lgbt people?

For lesbian and bi women’s memoirs:
https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com... tbh

tbh I haven’t read as many biographies on lesbians as I would ..."

It's not about one specific person but I LOVED The Sewing Circle: Hollywood's Greatest Secret: Female Stars Who Loved Other Women.

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie (littlelistmaker) I'm back after falling off for the last several months because I am predictable. I have tons of these I'd love to get through, but I think I'm going to start with the newly-released Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo" and then move on to The Woman Who Would Be King: Hatshepsut's Rise to Power in Ancient Egypt if I have time.

message 30: by phoenix_singing (new)

phoenix_singing (icanhasbooksplease) | 6 comments Belated thanks, Rachel! I went with Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, and In Order to Live will be next.

message 31: by Kat (new)

Kat | 54 comments I'm currently listening to The Woman Who Would Be King: Hatshepsut's Rise to Power in Ancient Egypt, it's a wild ride lol, the author describes the incest and diseases in great detail.

message 32: by kirsten (new)

kirsten (messyshelves) | 24 comments I'm waaaay behind with the challenge but I think I'll get myself on track by reading on Carrie Fisher's memoirs.

message 33: by Sam (last edited Jun 04, 2018 04:51PM) (new)

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie (littlelistmaker) Update: I finished Barracoon. My review is here. I would highly, highly recommend it, but only if you read Hurston's text before you read the editor's intro/forward.

message 35: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (anthh) | 12 comments I'm going to start Almost a Woman once I get it from the library. Its the second book in her series. I've read the first since it was one of the nominees for New York Reads.

message 36: by Sasha (new)

Sasha | 104 comments My hold for Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness came in yesterday and read it today. I thought it was an interesting, and quick read.

Still, need to complete May's challenge, but honestly, just finishing a book was a good feeling for this month.

message 37: by Cara (new)

Cara (hidingmyheart) | 35 comments I'm reading Lakota Woman and it's so heartbreaking but very good so far.