Silver Screen Book Club discussion

Hedy's Folly: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World
This topic is about Hedy's Folly
Book Discussions > JUNE 2018: Hedy's Folly by Richard Rhodes

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Samantha Glasser | 473 comments Mod
This summer our group read will be Hedy's Follow: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World by Richard Rhodes.

Pre-Reading Questions
Which of Lamarr's movies are you familiar with? Which are your favorite?
What do you hope to learn from this book? Will you be reading a physical copy, digital copy, or listening to the audiobook?

TCM will be showing the following Lamarr movies:
June 6 8:30 am Boom Town
June 8 8 am Her Highness and the Bellboy
June 29 4:45 pm The Conspirators
July 14 6:15 am Lady of the Tropics
August 18 10 am Comrade X
August 18 9:45 pm Boom Town

PBS recently did an American Masters episode about Lamarr, so check your local listings for reruns of that program. It focuses on the information we will be reading about in this book.

Michael Sparrow | 66 comments Hi,

Just finished HEDY'S FOLLY and I was disappointed. It gives a brief account of Lamarr's early life and discusses EXTASE at some length, but gives very little information on Hedy's subsequent film career--a few titles. And there is more biographical and career information on her co-inventor, composer George Antheil (not a bad thing, he had an interesting life and career. ) Most of the focus in the latter half of the book is on their inventions. There is a decent attempt to explain the devices, how they derived and how and why they worked. There is a very brief recap of the later lives of Hedy and Antheil. There is a short photo section--the pictures are well-chosen. I would have liked to read much more on Hedy in Hollywood and more than just a list of her film titles.

Erin  | 118 comments I know Im late starting this but its been an interesting summer. Ill be starting it this weekend.

Erin  | 118 comments I FINALLY finished this book, for such a short book it really dragged. The source material was so fascinating but Richard Rhodes seemed like he didn't know what to do with it. By time we actually got to the chapters on the inventions I just kinda skimmed it.

I'm happy I watched the American Masters on Hedy Lamarr first, because that was much more interesting.

John Yingling I completely agree with your review, Erin. I was expecting much more from this book than I ended up getting. It was a rather large disappointment. The documentary was much better. Thank you for your comments.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

If I hadn't watched the American Masters episode, I would have given up on the book. I wish the author delved more into Hedy's childhood & early cinema career.