2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Sarah J's Little Corner of GR

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah- (new)

Sarah- (dogearanddie) | 7 comments My personal reading goal for 2018 is 150. It's alot but I read 200 last year and had a feeling I wouldn't get through so many with my eldest starting school and lots more happening!
Also I am an audiobook addict so get through alot that way.

Current Challenges/Games/Buddy Reads:

Completed Challenges/Games/Buddy Reads:

Upcoming:
35th Two Month Challenge: June 2018 and July 2018
Pick Me A Winner: June 1 - June 30
Fantasy Scavenger Hunt: June 2018 - July 2018

Other Stuff:
Monthly Book Count
Series Tracker
First Line...
Taglines
Word Association

message 2: by Sarah- (new)

Sarah- (dogearanddie) | 7 comments The Bibliophile Challenge
Duration: April 1, 2018 to June 30, 2018

1. Read a book about books or reading.
2. Read a book-in-a-book.
3. Read a book that is an author's memoir.
4. Read a book about language or linguistics.
5. Read a book that takes place in a library or bookstore.
6. Read a book before you see the movie/watch the tv show.
7. Read a book whose main character is a bookworm.
8. Read a book that is mentioned in another book.
9. Read a book that is a retelling of a classic or modern classic.
10. Read a book that has a palindrome in the title.
11. Read a book that uses an alliteration in the title.
12. Read a book that has a full sentence as it's title.
13. Read a book with a title that rhymes.
14. Read a book with a one-word title.
15. Read a book with an oxymoron in the title.
16. Read a book with a homonym or homophone in the title.
17. Read a book with a homograph in the title.
18. Read a book in translation or a book that merges two or more languages, e.g., Spanglish, Pidgin, or Creole.
19. Read a work of epistolary fiction or nonfiction.
20. Read a book you can't get as an ebook.

message 3: by Sarah- (last edited May 29, 2018 06:24AM) (new)

Sarah- (dogearanddie) | 7 comments A-Z CHALLENGE
Duration: January 1, 2018 - December 31, 2018

Read a book for each letter of the alphabet. You can use ANY of the first letters of the main words in a title of a book (don't use words like "a", "the", "or", and "of").

A:
B:
C:
D: Daughter of the Siren Queen
E:
F: Frost Burned
G: Gaslight
H:
I:
J:
K: Keystone
L:
M:
N: Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men
O:
P:
Q: Queen Mecca
R: Redeemer
S:
T:
U:
V:
W:
X:
Y:
Z:

message 4: by Sarah- (new)

Sarah- (dogearanddie) | 7 comments POPSUGAR READING CHALLENGE 2018
Duration: January 1, 2018 - December 31, 2018

One of the most popular reading challenges is back! The 2018 Popsugar Reading Challenge contains 40 tasks to broaden your horizons and 10 additional book prompts for the “hardcore” readers out here!

1. A book made into a movie you’ve already seen
2. True crime
3. The next book in a series you started
4. A book involving a heist
5. Nordic noir
6. A novel based on a real person
7. A book set in a country that fascinates you
8. A book with a time of day in the title
9. A book about a villain or antihero
10. A book about death or grief
11. A book with a female author who uses a male pseudonym
12. A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist
13. A book that is also a stage play or musical
14. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you
15. A book about feminism
16. A book about mental health
17. A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift
18. A book by two authors
19. A book about or involving a sport
20. A book by a local author
21. A book with your favorite color in the title
22. A book with alliteration in the title
23. A book about time travel
24. A book with a weather element in the title
25. A book set at sea
26. A book with an animal in the title
27. A book set on a different planet
28. A book with song lyrics in the titles
29. A book about or set in Halloween
30. A book with characters who are twins
31. A book mentioned in another book
32. A book from a celebrity book club
33. A childhood classic you’ve never read
34. A book that’s published in 2018
35. A past Goodreads Choice Awards winner
36. A book set in the decade you were born
37. A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn’t get to
38. A book with an ugly cover
39. A book that involves a bookstore or a library
40. Your favorite prompt from the 2015, 2016, 2017 PopSugar Reading Challenges

Advanced
41. A bestseller from the year you graduated high school
42. A cyberpunk book
43. A book that was being read by a stranger in a public place
44. A book tied to your ancestry
45. A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title
46. An allegory
47. A book by an author with the same first or last name as you
48. A microhistory
49. A book about a problem facing society today
50. A book recommended by someone else taking the PopSugar Reading Challenge

message 5: by Sarah- (new)

Sarah- (dogearanddie) | 7 comments THE MEMBERS’ TASKS CHALLENGE
Duration: January 1 - December 31, 2018

This challenge is all about YOU, the wonderful members of our group. All members had the opportunity to submit a task and together we created a challenge. Check out the original entries here.
Set your goal, and see how many of these member-created tasks you can complete!

1. Adriana's task: I just changed careers and I'm studying to be a librarian in the new year. Read a book where a character makes a big change or with a librarian as a main character.

2. Amanda's task: I am from Scotland and now live in the Netherlands. I studied French and German. Read a book which has been translated from another language.

3. Anna's task: I am in a Disney mood. Read a book where any character's name matches with any Disney character's name. Example: Peter from The Chronicles of Narnia - Peter Pan.

4. Aparajita's task: I am an Indian. Read a book written in a language that appears on the Indian currency, other than English. (Read a translation if you don't speak/read any of those languages).

5. April's task: I live in the woods of north-central Washington state and I grew up in Oregon. Read a book that takes place in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.

6. Blagica's task: I am sitting here reading Under the Dome, a book with over 1000 pages. Read a book that intimidates you or the biggest book on your TBR Pile.

7. Candiss' task: I have a love for epistolary fiction - books that are written as a series of documents - traditionally letters or diary/journal entries but now also sources such as newspaper articles/clippings, emails, text messages, blog posts - even transcribed audio recordings. Read a work of epistolary fiction.

8. Charity's task: One of my best friends is bipolar and I've been trying to read books related to bipolar disorder to better understand her. Read a book about mental illness.

9. Cheri's task: I studied medieval hisory. Read a book that is about or takes place in the Middle Ages.

10. Chloe's task: I was born and raised in Canada. Read a book set in Canada or by a Canadian author.

11. Claire's task: I was lucky enough to have travelled to Egypt and see first-hand the pyramids, tombs, and temples there. Read a book about Pharaoh, a book set in Egypt, or a book about archaeology.

12. Daph's task: I love reading (obviously!) Read a book recommended by a friend or family member.

13. Debra's task: My interest in serial killers led me to write to a few of them. Read a book about a serial killer or true crime.

14. Delitealex's task: I love to watch ghost shows on TV. Read a book with ghosts in it or read a horror book.

15. Diana's task: I am from Romania. Read a book by a Romanian author, about Romania's culture or about a famous Romanian.

16. D.G.'s task: I was born in the Dominican Republic. Read a book with a Hispanic author, character, or setting.

17. Eggp's task: I'm always trying to pester a certain friend to read/discuss books with me, but it's like pulling teeth. Read a book with a friend or participate in a buddy read.

18. Gail W's task: I am second generation Scotch/Irish and finally was able this summer to visit Ireland for the first time in my life. Read a book by an Irish writer.

19. Gilraens's task: I lived in three different countries (Netherlands, UK and New Zealand). Read a by an author from one of those three countries or set in one of those countries.

20. Gem's task: I was born in 1966. Read a book with a "6" (six) in the title or one that is set or published in 1966.

21. Greg's task: My brother was drafted in the Vietnam War and sent to Plieku where he got to participate in the Tet Offensive. Read a book about the Vietnam War or about conscription.

22. Gretchen's task: I have identical twin girls. Read a book featuring a main character who is an identical twin.

23. Hemangini's task: Read a book where a writer/author is the main protagonist.

24. Ilona's task: Ilona is a Hungarian female given name, the traditional name of the Queen of the Fairies in Magyar folklore. Read a book about fairy folklore.

25. Inkeri's task: Almost three years ago I decided to turn my life upside down and went back to school to become a radiographer. Physics is obviously a big part of my occupation. Read a book about physics.

26. Jennifer B's task: I have four siblings. Read a book about a big family.

27. Jennifer N’s task: I have red hair, which not many people do. Read a book where either the main character or the author has red hair.

28. Jenny's task: I've had a heart transplant. Read a book about surgery or the history of medicine.

29. Jessica's task: I grew up in Massachusetts, went to college in Montreal, and now live in Minnesota. Read a book that takes place somewhere that begins with the letter M or someplace where the winters are very cold.

30. Jill's task: My grandmothers parents came to America form Ireland. Read a book that takes place where one of your ancestor's lived.

31. Kadijah Michelle's task: I converted to Islam in my early 20s. Read a book about a Muslim woman.

32. Kristin's task: I really enjoy reading the stories that are "sprinkled" amongst the recipes in cookbooks. Read a cookbook with stories or a book about cooking.

33. Kylie's task: My favourite hobby is making shoes, since I have small feet and could never buy nice shoes. Read a book about someone who makes shoes, a book where shoes have an important role, or a (micro-)history of a shoe designer/brand.

34. Laura's task: I like to read book set in places I've actually visited. Read a book set somewhere you have visited or lived.

35. Lauri's task: I was born and raised in Hawaii, and live there still. Read a book set in Hawaii or on a tropical island.

36. Leona's task: My ancestor was Titian, the artist. Read a book about art.

37. Lindsay's task: I love animals. Read a book about or featuring an animal.

38. Lois' task: I am a genealogist. Read a story about a search for family history or discovering your past.

39. Mie's task: I have just been to the annual office Christmas party. Read a book that includes or features a party.

40. Nikinnia's task: I am a Southern, Black woman. Read a book by an African American author, with an African American character or set in the South.

41. Nikki's task: My favorite thing about reading a good book is the escapism factor. I can go anywhere or live any adventure. Read a book where the main character gets transported to a different time or place.

42. Rachael's task: My name was popular in the 1990s, the decade in which I was born. Read a book published between 1990 and 1999.

43. Rebecca's task: I want to be an art teacher someday. Read a book where the main character enjoys creating art or is a teacher.

44. Rique's task: My mother and mother-in-law lived through most of the tumultuous 20th century. Read a book, fiction or historical fiction, taking place anywhere from the Great Depression through WWII (1929-1945).

45. Sarah's task: Growing up there were rumors that my great-grandmother had local mafia/mob connections. Read a book that is centered around the mafia/mob.

46. Sheila's task: I am a decades old first-generation citizen. Read a book about living in the intersection of 2 or more cultures.

47. Susy's task: I was raised in the Netherlands but both my parents are Portuguese. My primary language is Dutch but my first language or mother tongue was Portuguese. Read a book in your mother language/tongue.

message 6: by Sarah- (last edited May 29, 2018 06:19AM) (new)

Sarah- (dogearanddie) | 7 comments 35th Two Month Challenge: June 2018 and July 2018
Duration: June 1st - July 31st

1.) New Release: Read a book that was released in June or July of 2018. If you can't get a hold of one you can use one that came out anytime in 2018.

2.) J & J: Read a book where the authors first and last initial are the same.

3.) Dare Day: Read a book that meets a requirement from a dare in our I Dare You To Challenges. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

4.) Best Friends Day: Read a book that a friend on goodreads gave a 5 star rating to.

5.) Iced Tea Day: Read a book with a drink on the cover.

6.) Hug Holiday: Read a romance book.

7.) I Forgot Day: Read a book that has been on your TBR list for over 6 months.

8.) Teddy Bear Day: Read a book that has either an animal or toy on the cover.

9.) Hammock Day: Read a book that has under 200 pages.

10.) Culinarian's Day: Read a book that has either food or a cooking utensil on the cover.