The Removes The Removes discussion

Angela, Diane and Esil discuss

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane S ☔ (last edited Jun 01, 2018 01:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane S ☔ Starting June 1st. Looking forward to this, I have loved all her book.

Angela M (On a little break) Diane, thanks as always for setting up our thread . Looking forward to this - I can’t believe this will be my first by her . I’ll check later to see where we might stop to connect.

I think you meant June 1 .

Esil I haven't read any of her books either. Thanks again for setting up the tread, and I'm really looking forward to reading this one!

Angela M (On a little break) I probably won’t start until Friday night . Trying to finish what I’m reading- you know me - one book !

My suggestions is to comment :
First Remove - Sixth about a third
Seventh- Ninth about two thirds
Tenth - end
If you think something else makes sense that’s fine with me .

I noticed there are photographs throughout. Not very clear on my kindle so I downloaded to my iPad to Bluefire reader and they are much clearer .

Looking forward to this one !

Esil That works for me. I won’t have much reading time until tomorrow night either. Thanks for the tip about the photos.

Diane S ☔ Sounds good. Have to work in the morning so won't start until after lunch.

Esil I actually just read the first chapter, which is very violent. I’m curious to see where this is going. I hope it doesn’t stay too violent.

Diane S ☔ My understanding is that this is a very realistic portrayal of the time period, which was a very violent time.

Esil I read a few more chapters, and I see what you mean, Diane. The first chapter is particularly brutal.

Angela M (On a little break) Starting it tonight. Thanks for the warning of the opening violence.

message 11: by Diane S ☔ (last edited Jun 01, 2018 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane S ☔ I have finished the first six. It is nice to be reading a historical again. Her writing is so vivid, I sometimes feel as if I'm there. Things I didn't know.....never knew Custer fought in the Civil War, all we read in history was about Custer's last stand. Never knew he was the youngest brigadeer general at 25.So young. Knew absolutely nothing about his wife,nor that she traveled with him. My favorite character is Annie though. I feel so for her. Custer seems rather full of himself. Those corsets, so glad those and girdles went out of fashion. Those cages the women had to wear, however did they go to the bathroom, or was this the time of no underwear or splits in the crotch?

Angela M (On a little break) I fell asleep reading last night so not quite finished with 1-6. Will come back later .

message 13: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil I finished up to the Sixth Remove. I think the author does an excellent job of portraying the times. I find Anne’s strength of character mind boggling and find Libby’s character interesting. But I do find the constant brutality hard to read. So many people and animals treated so badly. While I am up on more recent American history, I need to do a bit of research to understand more about what was going on at that time and Custar’s role.

message 14: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Btw I won’t get back to the book until late afternoon. My husband and I are making a trip to visit our son who is working at a summer camp for the spring and summer. Looking forward to seeing him. Hope you two are doing well!

Angela M (On a little break) Finished 1-6
I agree how violent it is, and because of the exceptional descriptive writing, it is difficult to read about. I think Diane is right, the violence was so prevalent in this time in history. But even in the historical context, it’s brutal to read about.
Anne’s awful plight juxtaposed with Libbie’s life of comfort until Kansas is evident. I like Libby but of course am much more drawn to Anne’s strength of character.
Looking forward to seeing what happens to her .

Custer’s insensitivity telling Libby of his time in Washington and New York and the women while she is alone in Kansas and going to the bedroom of the woman visiting from Monroe makes me not like him very much.

The words of Santana were particularly moving after reading Andrew Jackson’s words.

Diane S ☔ I think I am much more tolerant of the violence when I know it is factual, part of history. Like those we read about the Holocaust, brutal. Still going on in so many parts of the world . I dislike the violence or graphic brutality when it is just used as a literary device,cshock and see factor. Her first book was the Camodian killing fields.

message 17: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil I just finished the 9th Remove, which is where I think we agreed to comment next. I still think it very well written and feels realistic, but I do find Anne and Libbie’s stories most interesting, I find the battles and Custar’s triumphs and failures less engaging. I’m also very curious about whether Anne and Libbie will be connecting at some point. I’m interested to see how it would be for Anne to adapt to living back amongst the white population after living as she has for so many years.

Diane — I agree. Gratuitous violence is a real turn off. When it’s a realistic part of the historical context, I tolerate it more but I still find it hard to read.

Angela M (On a little break) I just finished through the Ninth Remove also. My feelings so far are the same as yours , Lise. I continue to enjoy the writing and am taken with Anne’s strength as her time in captivity goes on. I wonder the same thing you do , about what it would be like for her after being held for so long. Definitely much less interested in the battles and I also continue to find the brutality hard to read. But I do agree with your, Diane about the historical context of it.
Not much more to add except that I like Tom better than his brother, although I think Custer is a complex man.

Diane S ☔ I'm there too. All that slaughter on both sides. I do appreciate that Solid shows all sides of this conflict. So many broken promises. Custer I think is trapped within his own reputation and need for recognition. It seems as if he sympathizing with the sunfish way of life more and more, recognizing that they are very spoke. He is complex but I too like zTom better, but maybe that is because he doesn't have a reputation to live up to. Like you both am wondering what happens tonAnnie.

Angela M (On a little break) I’m taking a break from the violence and will pick it up tomorrow. Sounds like we are on the same page - not just literally with this one.
I’m going to read the Anne Tyler short story then go back.

Angela M (On a little break) On second thought, I’m going to finish this first and read the story later.

message 22: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil I just finished it. I really like Soli’s afterword in which she describes her approach to history — being careful not to romanticize. In the end, I think this is one that I found really interesting but I’m not sure how much I enjoyed it. I liked how Soli took the parallel lives of Libbie and Anne, and did a good and realistic job depicting them. But it made for difficult reading — all the way to the end. I’m either going to land on 3.5 or 4 stars. Will post my review later. I’m looking forward to seeing what you two think in the end.

Angela M (On a little break) I won’t finish until later today so I’ll read your comment,Lise when I get back ,

message 24: by Angela M (On a little break) (last edited Jun 03, 2018 12:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela M (On a little break) I just finished it and as difficult as I found it to read at times mainly because of violence, the story really got to me. Even though the narratives were of Custer, Libbie and Anne, the story was about that piece of American history that Soli points out has been romanticized and her telling felt pretty real to me. I was broken hearted for Anne throughout and she is the character that will stay with me. This will be 4 stars for me. Won’t get to my review until later tonight and probably won’t post it until tomorrow.

Lise , I know what you mean about not enjoying it . I can’t say enjoyed either but I definitely was taken with it .

Look forward to your thoughts, Diane.

message 25: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Here is my review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Anne’s character was definitely so powerful, but I honestly had trouble imagining what she was going through because it was so extreme.

message 26: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Just thinking ahead, any interest in reading Silent Hearts or Where the Crawdads Sing in July?

Angela M (On a little break) I have both , so either works for me .

Diane S ☔ Have both of those too. Almost finished, about forty pages to go. Was so beautiful here today, we took an afternoon ride, went to a forest preserve and had lunch at a little inn.

Angela M (On a little break) Sounds fabulous, Diane . It was a little cool here - 60’s and it rained late this afternoon, so stayed in and read . Just finished my review so
will post it shortly.

message 31: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Sounds like a lovely afternoon, Diane. Angela and I tend to have the same weather, so it was rainy here yesterday afternoon you.

Do either of you have a preference for next month’s book or should we just flip a coin?

Angela M (On a little break) Silent Hearts publishes in July so that might make more sense and maybe read Where the Crawdad Sings for August since it publishes in August?

message 33: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil That works for me, Angela!

Diane S ☔ I finished last night, wont post my review until later tonight. I agree the savagery was hard to read, but necessary I think to show how absolutely devastating this was to both sides. Custer's death at little big Horn was probably the way he would have wanted to die, in many ways it was his destiny don't you think? He came to respect the Indians and their way of life, he had no clue what to do with himself if he wasn't in the cavalry. Had he not died he probably would have ended up like Sitting Bull, a specimen to show off at freak shows. I came to appreciate what an emblematic character he was for the times. I loved Libby, her strength, her fortitude, she was quite a woman and I would like to read more about her. What happened to her after Custer's death. Annie, my heart broke for her, her treatment after captivity is certainly realistic. It happened to many released women captives, they were seen as unclean, defiled, oddities and many never could fit back into society and did commit suicide. Will probably use some of what I just wrote in my review. A solid four for me.

Order of our next reads is fine with me.

message 35: by Angela M (On a little break) (last edited Jun 04, 2018 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela M (On a little break) Diane, your thoughts will make for an awesome review!

message 36: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil I completely agree. I love your perspective on this one, Diane.

message 38: by Diane S ☔ (last edited Jun 28, 2018 05:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane S ☔ Next read https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Cant believe how time is just flying by.