Book Cougars discussion

Readalongs > Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (last edited Jun 21, 2018 11:15AM) (new)

Emily | 284 comments Mod
We will be discussing Little Women during our June 24, 2018 recording.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda | 52 comments Mod
: > )

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim | 31 comments I'll reread Little Women! It could count as my "a book you loved as a child " square on my summer reading book bingo:-)...I'm sure it will also lead to a reread of Little Men and Jo's Boys as well.....

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam Powers | 4 comments Just got Little Women from the library. Looking forward to rereading it!

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen | 19 comments I'm reading along! Just started Little Women yesterday.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (chriswolak) | 332 comments Mod
I am planning to start it on Tuesday. Can't wait to revisit the March sisters!

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate | 13 comments Uncle! I am on page 100 and giving up. I never read it when I was younger, and I am remembering why. Just not my cup of tea. I am looking forward to the episode to hear what everyone else has to say.

message 8: by Gail (new)

Gail | 19 comments I am listening to a reading of Little Women on the CraftLit podcast,..they are on Chapter 25.
There is also a 3 part series of discussion of the tv adaptation on The Recappery podcast (the History Chicks)...tons of detail.

I read Little Women as a kid, but all thoughts of it now have the movie version engrained. I can only see Winona Ryder, Kirsten Dunst, Claire Danes and Susan Sarandon.
I have also seen the recent tv series..it is beautifully filmed. I will have to watch it again after listening to all the thoughts of the History Chicks.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen | 19 comments Thanks Gail! I will try the podcast.

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam Powers | 4 comments Almost done reading Little Women - will finish on my long flight home from Maui. I read it a looooong time ago and had forgotten most of it. Fun to re-read after all this time

message 11: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Salmon | 14 comments I could have sworn I had read this before but now I am not so sure. I listened to the book on audible read by Barbara Caruso. I truly enjoyed it and will read it again in text. I was a bit surprised by the mothers encouragement for the girls to marry for love not status. Which seems wonderfully different from most in their time. They seems to stay positive despite all the hardships. Look forward to hearing other comments.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda | 52 comments Mod
Gail wrote: "I am listening to a reading of Little Women on the CraftLit podcast,..they are on Chapter 25.
There is also a 3 part series of discussion of the tv adaptation on The Recappery podcast (the History ..."

My movie version includes Katherine Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor and Peter Lawford.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily | 284 comments Mod
Thank you, everyone, for stopping by to share your thoughts about Little Women!
Episode 53 was just posted wherein Chris and I shared our initial thoughts. I'm hopeful that the conversation can continue here, as I keep having more thoughts! Up next, March by Geraldine Brooks.

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 284 comments Mod
Linda wrote: "Gail wrote: "I am listening to a reading of Little Women on the CraftLit podcast,..they are on Chapter 25.
There is also a 3 part series of discussion of the tv adaptation on The Recappery podcast ..."

Please let us know what you think. Chris and I are going to try to watch this version, as well.

message 15: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Salmon | 14 comments So that’s why I thought I hadn’t read it. I must have had part one. Enjoyed the discussion on the podcast.

message 16: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 17 comments thank you for the discussion on the podcast. some thoughts I had I wanted to share. I was very impressed with some of the parenting tactics that were used. I think Emily with your comment about having so many choices we have these days the summary description would be that we have too many distractions available to us. They did not have distraction so they had to create their own entertainment. Maybe this allowed their mother to find watching her children's experiments entertaining in a way that we currently don't always have the patience for. what are your other recent podcast I think episode 52, one of you mentioned how it's easy to go back and second-guess our parenting. The examples of parenting here made me wish that I did allow my kids some more experimentation and self learning that way.

message 17: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 17 comments sorry for the typos in poor capitalization. I audio to text and don't always have the energy to read it to correct it

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda | 52 comments Mod
Little Women was a book that I read and read and read when I was a kid. It was my mother's copy. (I have already asked my mom is I could have that copy "when she's done with it.") I ALWAYS identified with Jo and I wanted a garrett.
It was wonderful to realize a dream when I was able to get paid for writing.
After many years, I re-read Little Women when I was 55. It was amazing to me how different it was to a "mature" woman vs the dreaminess of a 14-year old.
When I first had a niece, and she became of age, Little Women was the first book I gave her.

message 19: by Fran (new)

Fran | 1 comments I still treasure my Little Women that was originally my grandmother's copy and then my mother's. It was published in 1910. One of the most important books in my life. Read at least five or six times when I was young and have watched every movie and tv version.
Linda wrote: "Little Women was a book that I read and read and read when I was a kid. It was my mother's copy. (I have already asked my mom is I could have that copy "when she's done with it.") I ALW..."

Linda wrote: "Little Women was a book that I read and read and read when I was a kid. It was my mother's copy. (I have already asked my mom is I could have that copy "when she's done with it.") I ALW..."