Book Cougars discussion

Episodes > Episode 50 - Our 5th Giveaway and 4th & 5th Readalongs Announced!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 283 comments Mod
Chris and Emily announce their 5th giveaway - enter by June 1, 2018.
We also announce our summer of Little Women - in celebration of the 150th anniversary of it's publication. Join us for our 4th and 5th readalong: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott and March by Geraldine Brooks.

Note: We have separate topics for the readalongs on Goodreads, as well.

message 2: by Foxed (new)

Foxed  Folios (foxedfolios) | 16 comments @Chris - Willa Cather alert!

Not sure if you listen to the Backlisted podcast (if not, I highly recommend it - it is excellent and I have listened to every episode multiple times!), but the latest episode focuses on a discussion of My Antonia with none other than Dame(!😄) Hermione Lee joining show co-hosts Andy and John.

Also, totally random but VAGUELY related: if you ever find yourself near Taos in NM and in need of accommodations, you might want to check out The Mabel Dodge Luhan House - you can spend a night or two in the ‘Cather Room’ where Cather stayed and wrote! 😄 (Don’t ask me how I know this random piece of information - I live in Hong Kong and have never been to NM!) I do have a vague memory of you mentioning a place to Cather-related place to stay in an earlier episode but there is a fairly decent chance that this is just a figment of my imagination.

Fun episode as usual guys. Happy reading! AP

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 11 comments In this episode Emily mentioned she had done some research on the best audio recordings of Little Women. What was the consensus?

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 283 comments Mod
I did some research on narrators and plan to try two different versions with the following narrators: Lorelei King / Justine Eyre

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 11 comments Oh, interestingly, these two did not come up in my searches. I'll take a look. Thank you Emily.

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 283 comments Mod
Let me know what you settle on.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (chriswolak) | 332 comments Mod
FoxedFolios wrote: "@Chris - Willa Cather alert!

Not sure if you listen to the Backlisted podcast (if not, I highly recommend it - it is excellent and I have listened to every episode multiple times!), but the lates..."

Yes! I listened to their My Antonia episode and enjoyed it very much (even if I don't agree with some of Dame Hermione Lee's judgments, such as Edith Lewis having been Cather's "slave."). I wasn't aware of the podcast prior to the Cather episode, but am now a fan and look forward to listening to their past episodes.

It has been a long time since I've been to NM, but you can bet the Mabel Dodge Luhan house will be on my to-do list if I ever find myself back out that way. We did discuss Cather's NM connection when we were talking about Sue Hallgarth's DEATH COMES, a Willa Cather & Edith Lewis mystery novel.

Thanks for sharing the Cather love!