Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta Reader Available

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victorique (new)

Victorique Crawford (victoriquecrawford) | 27 comments Are you looking for someone to betaread, then look no further. I am willing to be one although I will take no more than two books per month, to ensure quality of my reading. I will not post them as reviews on my blog unless you specifically request it,

I am willing to beta read mystery, thrillers, fantasy, historical fiction (I will not comment on time period issues unless it is really glaring). Epic Fantasy, science fiction, contemporary, and all other will be judged independently mostly because I am not really certain that I'm the reader that you're looking for that genre specifically.

message 2: by Martha (new)

Martha | 82 comments Are you defining "epic" fantasy as the classic "otherworld" creation or the also-used "massive tome of complicated fantasy-ness"?

message 3: by Victorique (new)

Victorique Crawford (victoriquecrawford) | 27 comments both

message 4: by Victorique (last edited May 29, 2018 10:30PM) (new)

Victorique Crawford (victoriquecrawford) | 27 comments I'm sorry, but I'm not that interested in your book but I hope you will find someone who is more suited to this than I am.

message 5: by L.C. (last edited May 30, 2018 11:03AM) (new)

L.C. Lee | 15 comments Hi Dawning

I have an 85k historical novel that has been edited, with a trade off beta. I think it could use a look from a woman, and someone familiar with that genre.
Here is the body of the query draft to get an idea of the story.
Through a series of life-threatening ordeals, the main character, Andrée becomes a strong and independent woman.
Abandoned by her family, young Andrée becomes a nun, and her troubles begin when she is assigned to a mission in Haiti. She soon has to flee for her life in order to survive a revolution between the Vodun and French farmers. Along with a priest, René, she finds refuge in the mountains with the Taino Indian tribe. Without the Church to define her role, she falls in love with the rebel priest. When their presence endangers the tribe, they escape Haiti by boarding a ship to Cuba. In one of the several intriguing deceptions in the story, they abandon their positions in the Church and travel as husband and wife.
Once in Cuba, they have a son, Miguel, who is lost at sea, on a fishing trip. After some time, their fraudulent life is discovered by René’s involvement in a movement to free Cuba from Spanish rule. He is sent to prison in Spain for sedition, and Andrée is exiled back to Haiti.
She enters the vacated church in Haiti, and dons the robe of a priest pretending to be René. She continues this deception to travel back to Europe, where she is instrumental in having the Church reissue, a papal bull that frees all Jesuits from political imprisonment. Alone now, Andrée’s only thought is to free René from prison. Posing as a man presents its own problems, but as a priest, everyone is suspicious of her. If caught, she will lose everything, perhaps even her life.

Thanks

LC Lee

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul (sus4th) | 8 comments I would like to be added to your queue in July. I have a hardboiled murder mystery, likely around 85k-90k, and it's a sequel to my first novel (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...). It should work as a standalone read, so I'm interested in getting feedback from someone who hasn't read the first one.

Blurb:
Newly appointed county coroner Fenway Stevenson is called back from vacation to investigate the murder of the coastal town's beloved mayor—and she quickly finds that others are being targeted as well. In the middle of small-town political drama, she uncovers hidden motives, betrayal, and a white-collar drug ring—all of which threaten to tear the town apart.

message 7: by Marshall (new)

Marshall S. | 26 comments Hi Dawning,

I have a 101k science fiction novel about terraforming beings being exploited for their abilities. PM me if interested, thanks!

message 8: by Serena (new)

Serena Fox | 3 comments Hello Ms. Dawning.

* Upper Middle Grade
* Christian Fantasy
* roughly 45k Word Count

I have had some success in digital magazine submissions, but I have not yet been published in print. I want to grow as an author, but I need honest feedback to do that. Please would you consider giving this book a read for me. Several have offered to read it, but none have given any truly helpful feedback yet. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

message 9: by Victorique (last edited May 30, 2018 05:35PM) (new)

Victorique Crawford (victoriquecrawford) | 27 comments L.C.Lee wrote: "Hi Dawning

I have an 85k historical novel that has been edited, with a trade off beta. I think it could use a look from a woman, and someone familiar with that genre.
Here is the body of the quer..."

Sure, I'll be willing to beta read it. I'll PM you my email and preferred format.

message 10: by Victorique (last edited May 30, 2018 05:36PM) (new)

Victorique Crawford (victoriquecrawford) | 27 comments Paul wrote: "I would like to be added to your queue in July. I have a hardboiled murder mystery, likely around 85k-90k, and it's a sequel to my first novel (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3......"

I'm interested in this book as well, I'll PM you my email.

message 11: by kotokuki (new)

kotokuki | 5 comments Hello!

I've written my first book, NA/YA 63K (Word Doc.) entitled "Dandelion Graves."

It is an unconventional contemporary story that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster.
Racing home from work Sam opens an old shoebox of letters entitled with single blurbs on the envelopes. Opened at random, the letters were given to Sam at the age of twelve when Sam's sister (a righteous, fiery thing) experienced a loss during her junior year of high school. These letters are her raw thoughts throughout a year of grieving, continuing life, and experiencing other hardships.

This has developing plot, comic relief, foreshadow, and the curiosity of whom Sam is grieving for. Outside of the beginning and ending, the entire book is told through the letters -- a frame story. Let me know if you're interested. thanks!

message 12: by C.E.L. (new)

C.E.L. Stefani | 11 comments Hello!

I have an Adult Epic Fantasy Novel with multiple points of view that is about 180k. It contains mystery, romance, superpowers, and adventure. I have gone through several drafts and a few beta readers have read it. I'm in the process of re-editing my novel after some feedback I received.

Blurb:

King Cassius Noor must find the mysterious Lucin Stone and deliver it to an uncharted village—but it may be more of a burden than a blessing. Three knights join him on a perilous journey across the Eklend continent, where they encounter both enemies and allies, while questioning the stone’s true purpose. After their journey comes to a standstill, Cassius wonders if it has all been for nothing. Is it worth risking their lives for a stone that’s rumored to be cursed?

In the king’s absence, archknight Oziah Oliendur must find the traitor in the kingdom who allowed the enemy of the north to enter the castle, as well as keep an eye on the princess. The burdening investigation forces him to put his trust in potential traitors. When Princess Valinia’s life is threatened by her own people, Oziah questions if they could be the true enemies.

Princess Valinia Noor is an outcast in Odinaty—hated because her dark hair resembles the enemy. Through reading an ancient diary written by the most evil prince in history, she discovers everything she has been taught may be a lie. Venturing outside of the kingdom could be her only chance to find the answers she seeks. When she meets an intriguing young man of the north, her life takes a drastic turn. Will trusting him lead to answers or will it be her biggest mistake?

If you are interested, please send me a PM. I look forward to hearing from you! :)

message 13: by Victorique (new)

Victorique Crawford (victoriquecrawford) | 27 comments Serena wrote: "Hello Ms. Dawning.

* Upper Middle Grade
* Christian Fantasy
* roughly 45k Word Count

I have had some success in digital magazine submissions, but I have not yet been published in print. I want ..."

I'm sorry, but because it's just isn't my cup of tea or in a subgenre that I'm familiar with, and I don't want to waste your time, I'm not going to accept it. I hope you manage to find a beta who is better suited to your story than me. Wish you the best of luck with you story.

message 14: by Scott (new)

Scott Mckernan | 6 comments Hi Dawning,
Would you be interested in betareading a 35,000 word story?

In a sentence...

When a misspent, damaged young man dies and meets God, he returns to life ready to face his demons and win back the person he was meant to be.

Kind regards,
Scott

message 15: by Serena (new)

Serena Fox | 3 comments Dawning wrote: "Serena wrote: "Hello Ms. Dawning.

* Upper Middle Grade
* Christian Fantasy
* roughly 45k Word Count

I have had some success in digital magazine submissions, but I have not yet been published in..."

Thank you so much for you honesty. I do appreciate it. Have a blessed Summer break.

message 16: by F.A. (new)

F.A. Huffman | 2 comments I have an almost 60,000 fantasy book that I'm looking to have beta read. I contains romance and violence.

Burb:
There’s nothing quite as annoying as falling in love and having to save your best friend’s life all in the same week. In Loved by Death, Ashley Black is faced with just that.
Ashley had spent her entire life trying to protect Lizbeth from her supernatural world. Then, with a single magical letter, the façade came crumbling down. Ashley’s enemies were coming after her weakest link. Lizbeth was human. Ashley was a vampire and werewolf hybrid. Liz was surrounded by this world of supernatural beings, but like most humans, was none the wiser. When Ashley’s office building is blown up, she is forced to tell Liz the truth. With the help of her new recruit, Alberto, her brother, Joe, and twin sister Alexis, Ashley sets out to put an end to Jeremy. Little did she know she was going to find love along the way.

message 17: by Ilana (new)

Ilana Long | 3 comments Hi Dawning,

I am looking for a reader who enjoys critiquing satire for my 65,000 word comic fantasy.

High school teacher Miss Trudy Lakelinker doesn’t feel a speck of remorse the day she decides to plagiarize her student’s creative writing assignment; but the moment Trudy swaps student Catherine Willit’s name for her own, chaos erupts. The star of Catherine’s story, an enormous gelatinous sea blob, comes to life to wreak havoc on the students and staff at the Central American International School. Amidst the catastrophes that plague the campus—the ash storms, the locusts, and an immaculate conception—Catherine realizes that her book has been hacked, and the teen author seeks lasting revenge.

Thanks for considering it,
Ilana

message 18: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Fuller | 2 comments Hi Dawning,

108k Fantasy in first draft stage... Ideally looking for plot holes and anything that doesnt make sense. Hope you'll give it a shot!

Description: As a final defence against the invading Blackhook forces, Alkan Ra, commander of the Empire's army and Brother of Vidan Ra the Emperor of the Sun, is ordered to perform a strange unknown ritual as a wildcard final defence. This, unbeknown to he, is the ultimate key in the great padlock of change.

The ritual, an ancient Danari spell, invokes a terrible power so potent that none but the Gods themselves posess the resilience to withstand its might, thus, humanity is forever scorched from the face of Lekanos.

In an instant the face of the planet is transformed, its bustling streets, ripe fields of crop, anywhere that people had previously resided, now empty, vacant of human life. Nothing but the lifeless bodies of mankind left to litter the ground as carrion fodder, fallen where they had stood in life with faces marred by the scorched flesh surrounding the empty sockets within their eyeless faces.

This is where our story begins, with Alkan Ra atop of his place of vantage above the battlefield far below, witness to the sea of death before him, confused and alone in the knowledge that this is all because of him.

Join the Black General as he embarks on his long and arduous return journey across the face of Lekanos, a journey filled with the appearance of other survivors, adventures and horrors as Alkan travels onwards to Sunfaer, the capital city of the Sunland Empire and previously home to the Emperor of the Sun.

message 19: by Bob (new)

Bob Austin | 21 comments Hi, I see you get a lot of responses but I'm also looking for a beta reader for my first novel. It's a modern fantasy and the name for the series is Evolution of Magic, I've copied the blurb below if you're interested.

In the modern age, as technology advances, magic is still a key part of society.
Having just graduated from Arkon’s mage academy, Claire Butler is ready to go out into the world and use her talents to help people. The nearby city of Verras seems like the place to prove herself as the Anti-Magic Technologies firm have been working to replace mages altogether. With three of her closest friends at her side Claire can set up and show the value a team of mages has.
But it’s not long before the newly formed team find themselves in over their heads. The city’s efforts to replace mages catches the attention of a dangerous criminal who is happy to show them how powerful magic can be. Soon the thriving city could become a warzone between the psychotic killer, the tech firm and now a mage revolution threatening to boil over.
Claire must learn fast in order to prevent disaster in Verras while keeping her friends safe.
And keep her growing number of enemies away.

Thanks for reading my comment :)

message 20: by Keith (new)

Keith Ahrens | 2 comments To Dawning Moon, I am not sure if this is your style of Sci/Fi/Fantasy, but I could really use a Beta reader who doesn't know me and isn't afraid of telling me some hard truths. I'm including a 3 paragraph synopsis in this note. please let me know if your interested in giving it a chance. thanks. -Keith

Randomly thrown into a cell with three other men as a replacement for a dead comrade. Caleb is the new guy in a foreign situation, but soon, the fighting squad forms into an eclectic family. Each member having been abducted from a different period in time due to the unpredictable time difference between the 'real world' and the Fey lands, known as “Under Hill”.

Months of training and close living quarters finally give way to the yearly battle they were kidnapped to fight in. However, due to desperate plans and reckless chances, the group makes an escape during the battle. Disaster again strikes at the threshold of freedom, when Caleb is separated from the group and a few of his friends volunteer to stay behind to find him and help him survive the next month until the gate opens again.

The story culminates with a final, near hopeless attempt to sneak past the re-fortified garrison and escape back to their world. Outnumbered and under-armed, but sensing imminent freedom, the group walks into a trap. A last stand is made, and not all of the group lives to see the other side.
Thanks for considering this. Fair warning, I've done 4-5 edits and rewrites, word count around 130, 000. any sections that could be lightened or removed would be a great note.
My email is Kawookie64@yahoo.com

message 21: by Victorique (new)

Victorique Crawford (victoriquecrawford) | 27 comments OK, for now until probably the end of July, I'm closed. Once I'm open, I'll open the thread up.

message 22: by William (new)

William Walters | 111 comments Newcastle is a 182030-word historical fiction/Family Saga about the Richards family led by the tyrannical Wilbur and his manipulative wife Aggatha. The novel follows the family from the period just after the Revolutionary War to the opening days of the Civil War. It is based on the massive plantation NewCastle in South Carolina. You can reach me at randelldenney@aol.com if you are interested in editing critique or Beta reads.

message 23: by William (new)

William Walters | 111 comments Hi, I need Beta Reader to review first 6 chapters of a Family Saga/ Historical Fiction.

message 24: by William (new)

William Walters | 111 comments Hi, I need Beta Reader to review first 6 chapters of a Family Saga/ Historical Fiction.

message 25: by Mytchel (new)

Mytchel Chandler (authormytchelchandler) | 42 comments Howdy! I am hoping to find someone to review by upcoming book; The Dark and Dangerous Days of Sin Shadow. It is YA Fantasy and sits at a whopping 84,000 words. Blurb:

Sin Shadow, after discovering he has the ability to travel through shadows, is anointed as the ambassador between the two sides of his world, light and dark. Both sides seem to be creeping closer and closer to war, and it's up to him to hold the pieces together as they come crashing down. He will very quickly realize that his newfound powers will only help him get so far...

Hope to hear from you and thank you!