Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Shelter in Place
This topic is about Shelter in Place
Book Discussions > Shelter in Place - June 2018 Book of the Month (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sheery (last edited Jun 06, 2018 02:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheery (wwwgoodreadscomprofilesheery) | 685 comments Mod
Sometimes, there is nowhere safe to hide.

It was a typical evening at a mall outside Portland, Maine. Three teenage friends waited for the movie to start. A boy flirted with the girl selling sunglasses. Mothers and children shopped together, and the manager at the video-game store tended to customers. Then the shooters arrived.

The chaos and carnage lasted only eight minutes before the killers were taken down. But for those who lived through it, the effects would last forever. In the years that followed, one would dedicate himself to a law enforcement career. Another would close herself off, trying to bury the memory of huddling in a ladies' room, hopelessly clutching her cell phone--until she finally found a way to pour her emotions into her art.

But one person wasn't satisfied with the shockingly high death toll at the DownEast Mall. And as the survivors slowly heal, find shelter, and rebuild, they will discover that another conspirator is lying in wait--and this time, there might be nowhere safe to hide.

Settings
Rockpoint, Maine
New York, New York
Portland, Maine
Tranquility Island, Maine

Table of Contents
Part One - Innocence Lost
Chapters 1 - 10

Part Two - Passion of Purpose
Chapters 11 - 20

Part Three - Proof of Life
Chapters 21 - 30

Character List
(view spoiler)

Spoiler Info
(view spoiler)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6129 comments Mod
Starting this now!

Jonetta wrote: "Starting this now!"

I'm hoping to start it tomorrow but it may be Saturday. I'm a little nervous about reading the shooting aspect of the book. I know it's prevalent to the current American culture but it makes me sad. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Nora writing about it I just wish shootings weren't a thing, if that makes sense.

It does. It’s the world we now live in.

Linda | 81 comments Wow, really good book. I read it in one sitting (2am finish, sigh). The story catches you and doesn't let go because you basically are in the middle of the story from the word go. I'm not going into the story until more have read it and we start getting a conversation going, but the read is very well worth it. The only comment I will say is that it definitely not a "Who Done It".

This will become a spoiler zone on the 8th.

Until then, please use the spoiler feature for detailed discussions.

message 7: by Talya (new) - added it

Talya | 749 comments Mod
Almost two hours in on audio, and I am so hooked. The Nora trademark magic of making you feel like you’re there, and the characters are real, while tastefully tackling difficult subjects is definitely here.

I’m over 4 hours in and had to force myself to take a break.

message 9: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Uugghhhh I'm dying to get to this!! I'm so thrilled that you all are loving it!😊

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1288 comments Something about all NR's books is that she really knows how to develop a character. That said, I think she went a little overboard in this book.

So_Many_Books (so_many_books_so_little_time) | 11 comments LOVED it! I am going to miss these characters!

Finally starting this tonight.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 634 comments Just finished. Love Love it. Want to re read it for fun. Love the ending a ready tear jerker.

I started this last night with the intention of reading a few pages and going to bed. Ha! 9 chapters later I forced myself to get some sleep. It's SO good and definitely emotional. I can't wait to get back to it tonight.

I’ve got 15 minutes of listening left and hubby turned to a series we’re watching together. Grrrr.....

Lynne I just finished this and loved it. I was almost done, then had surgery that really knocked me down. I feel bad that I have not been able to post a review since I was lucky enough to get an ARC. Maybe today

Hope you’re better, Lynne!

Don’t feel bad about the review not being done yet. It was just released so your review will be timely. And, if you post something as simple as, “I loved it!”....that works.

message 18: by Talya (new) - added it

Talya | 749 comments Mod
Just passing the 5 hours completed mark and ugh, (view spoiler)

Talya wrote: "Just passing the 5 hours completed mark and ugh, [spoilers removed]"

Felt the same way at that point.

Talya wrote: "Just passing the 5 hours completed mark and ugh, [spoilers removed]"

Yes, completely agree with how you feel at this point!

I finished the book last night, or rather, early this morning! I LOVE IT! This book has jumped into my top 5 favorites by Nora!

Oh, and I want to say how much I LOVE CiCi! I think everyone should read this book for Simone and CiCi's (then Reed and CiCi's) relationship. LOL!

Sheery wrote: "I finished the book last night, or rather, early this morning! I LOVE IT! This book has jumped into my top 5 favorites by Nora!"

Mine, too!

message 24: by Eve (last edited Jun 07, 2018 04:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 158 comments Yay, my copy arrived and I started to read it.
It always amaze me how good of a storyteller Nora Roberts is -- her descriptions are good and vivid without being long or boring. You feel like you get to know the scenery and the characters, so they come to life. Shooting theme is sad and too real.

Eve wrote: "Yay, my copy arrived and I started to read it.
It always amaze me how good of a storyteller Nora Roberts is -- her descriptions are good and vivid without being long or boring. You feel like you g..."

She really is a master at setting time and place while moving the story along. Never too descriptive.

message 26: by Talya (new) - added it

Talya | 749 comments Mod
Oh wow, (view spoiler)

Talya wrote: "Oh wow, [spoilers removed]"

Amazing. (view spoiler)

Lynne Jonetta wrote: "Hope you’re better, Lynne!

Don’t feel bad about the review not being done yet. It was just released so your review will be timely. And, if you post something as simple as, “I loved it!”....that w..."

Thanks Jonetta, I am better today

Talya wrote: "Oh wow, [spoilers removed]"

100% agree with you, Talya! Chilling is the way I kept feeling.

This is now a spoiler zone! Feel free to discuss the book openly without using the spoiler feature.

***If you haven’t finished the book, reading below this message is a risk for viewing spoilers***

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 634 comments When I start this book I thought you would be getting a mass killing with the FBI, ALF, or police changing the killer. Boy was I wrong. Love that the book was though the eye of the survivors and how they live after the attack. One became a policeman, one became angry, one when on with her life and one change her life.

Perfect summary, Cookie.

I, too, was prepared for a book about the pursuit of the shooters. This was so much smarter and it really pays homage to those survivors of mass shootings in this country. Not everyone recovers the same way and we saw so many examples of how a traumatic event like this can shape people’s futures. It was thought provoking.

I agree with you Jonetta about the book being thought provoking. I love how the story highlighted the survival of the characters, how they dealt with it and ultimately grew. I also love that Nora emphasized never forgetting those who were killed so horribly and senselessly.

The book also made me think of mental health and nature vs. nurture. I know mental health is a big part of the debate on gun control and it seems everyone has a different opinion on the topic. I felt Nora handled everything in the book in an intelligent and compassionate way. I imagine it must be difficult to write a book of fiction that relates so dynamically to real-life issues. She did a phenomenal job with it!

You make some important points, Sheery, especially the mental health aspect. Patricia was a psychopath that no one ever even suspected as having any mental issues. She manipulated those boys into doing the shooting spree but they had to bring something to the table on their own, particularly because they executed the plan on their own. Nora did indeed present all angles.

Simone’s tribute was just beautiful and the irony wasn’t lost that Tiffany’s bitterness was the impetus for the vision. This was so lovely.

I also liked that the tension and animosity between Simone and Natalie was resolved. I never even considered that Natalie’s issues were tied to the shooting.

And CiCi...I just loved this character. Such a free spirit who was so non judgmental. She was the backbone of the story.

I was so afraid that something would happen to Essie. I was so happy when they broke the news that Patricia was dead.

message 35: by Eve (last edited Jun 10, 2018 08:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 158 comments I just finished. Wow. One of the best stories by Nora Roberts.
Its very difficult and tender subject because things like this happen in real life sadly too often, happen when least expected. But everything was handled in delicate, compassionate and careful way. Agree with things previously said, it was though provoking.
I so enjoyed the main characters, what they did with their lives. And CiCi, she was darling. Wanted to slap Natalie but when it was explained, it made sense and good they made their peace. And Barney, poor mistreated dog.
I hope all victims and their families can find shelter in place. And peace.

(view spoiler)

Eve, might want to put your last paragraph in a spoiler for those who haven’t yet read that book!

message 37: by Eve (last edited Jun 11, 2018 12:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 158 comments Jonetta wrote: "Eve, might want to put your last paragraph in a spoiler for those who haven’t yet read that book!"

Sorry, I thought it is now a spoiler zone. Made my last paragraph as a spoiler.

It’s a spoiler zone for this book. That’s a spoiler for another book.

message 39: by Talya (new) - added it

Talya | 749 comments Mod
Two hours audio to go! I am loving the chemistry with Reed and Simone, chill yet fiery hot. And my heart is melting at the Barney moments.

And we all need a Cici type person in our lives, I think.

Oh, we cannot forget Barney. Loved that pooch.

message 41: by Eve (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 158 comments Jonetta wrote: "It’s a spoiler zone for this book. That’s a spoiler for another book."
Aahh, thanks :)

message 42: by Eve (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 158 comments Couldn't help but agree with CiCi's moto of life:

CiCi Lennon lived life by her own rules. Two of the top rules—Try Not to Hurt Anybody, and Have the Balls to Say What You Think—often clashed, but the results blended with her Be An Asshole When Necessary rule, so it worked for her.”

Good one, Eve!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments Talya wrote: "Two hours audio to go! I am loving the chemistry with Reed and Simone, chill yet fiery hot. And my heart is melting at the Barney moments.

And we all need a Cici type person in our lives, I think."

I love audiobooks and always think I WANT to listen to Nora books but I read so much faster than I can listen and I am usually just too impatient! lol.

I have considered listening to some of the In Death books. I am slowly making my way through that series and feel less of a compulsion to race through those books.

I changed the speed on my audio to 1.25 and it’s made a big difference.

message 46: by Nicole R (last edited Jun 12, 2018 06:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments Jonetta wrote: "I changed the speed on my audio to 1.25 and it’s made a big difference."

I also listen at 1.25, and it did make a big difference!

Aside from a few random books where the narrator was soooo sllloooowww, I haven't made the jump to 1.5. I think the narrators voices start to become a bit distorted then.

Margaret Standafer | 170 comments There were things I really liked about this book, but I can't say it's one of my favorites by Nora. The way she wrote the scene at the mall was brilliant. Honestly, I felt like I was there. Patrica was the perfect blend of crazy and evil...I hated her, of course, but she was, nonetheless, intriguing. My problem with the book was the relationship/romance angle. I felt almost no connection to Simone and Reed. Each, on their own, was likable, especially Reed, but they didn't seem to have much chemistry and the romance seemed sort of thrown into the mix just because the story needed a romance. I did love Cici, though!

It almost kills me to criticize anything Nora writes as I've been a fan as long as I can remember, but this book left me feeling sort of let down.

Margaret, I’ve seen other comments in reviews that the romance didn’t click for them. You’re not alone.

As I’m more drawn to the mystery/suspense aspects, the romance is always secondary to me. I don’t recall much about chemistry (that’s telling, isn’t it?) but I liked both of them and liked them together.

message 49: by Talya (new) - added it

Talya | 749 comments Mod
To be honest, I've come to expect Nora's couples and love scenes to not have the same punch (and quantity) as series/books that are more chemistry heavy (Crossfire, Fifty, This Man, etc.). It's good going in knowing that you're in for at least 50% slow burn and build up, and then the romance is a little bit back burner for the suspense.

Well put, Talya. I find the trilogies skew more to the romance.

« previous 1