Play Book Tag discussion

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)
This topic is about If I Stay
May 2018: Family Drama > If I Stay, by Gayle Forman - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Magdalena | 414 comments Seventeen year old mia must make a decision whether to follow her dreams to try to go to New York and become a renowned cellist or to stay in her home town with family and boyfriend. But then Mia, her mother, father and little brother get in a terrible car accident that leaves her with a collapsed lung, a torn spleen and in a coma. While in this coma however she has an out-of-body experience and in this out-of-body state she must make much more important choice. To stay or to go.

I don't really know how to rate this. It's not a bad book and some of it was even heart wrenching like the part about her little bother. But its not that memorable. It's told though flashbacks as she thinks back to her life before the accident and even with the fairly good writing and well rounded characters it starts to get old. Her family seem just a little too prefect I think it would have been more interesting of they had been allowed some flaws just to make it more believable. But even if I had some problems with it I still enjoyed reading it.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I liked this one — I think I read it in a day. There is a follow-up that had a bit more drama to it.

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments I read and enjoyed this one, but like you, I didn't think it was highly memorable. I did really enjoy the sequel, Where She Went, though, which I thought was a richer story.

Magdalena | 414 comments It was quick, I read it in a day and a half. Glad to hear the sequel is good I wasn't sure if I read it since follow-ups can sometimes be iffy.