The Great American Read discussion

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
This topic is about Anne of Green Gables
Comments - Children and YA > Anne of Green Gables

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marnie (new) - added it

Marnie (marniekeister)

Codie | 61 comments I read this entire series when I came down with mononucleosis and was homebound for two weeks. It’s a sweet series and I hope to share it with my daughter one day.

Diane I read this book last year and enjoyed the story and character development. I never read it as a little girl but enjoyed reading it even though I'm a grandma now!

message 4: by Tasha (last edited Jun 01, 2018 08:07AM) (new)

Tasha I'd love to read this one with my 11yo daughter. She is reading IT now by Stephen King so I think she will be busy for a while! I love the puffin covers so may just buy it for myself anyway. :)

Parker | 204 comments Loretta wrote: "Diane wrote: "I read this book last year and enjoyed the story and character development. I never read it as a little girl but enjoyed reading it even though I'm a grandma now!"

I never read this ..."

One of my favourite books (and series). I discovered this after the PBS series with Megan Follows, which came out in the 80s and early 90s.

Linda  | 915 comments I had never read it as a child, but when I participated in 2015: The Year of Reading Women, I downloaded the (almost) Complete Works of LM Montgomery on the Kindle and went through the whole series.

Bill I've never read but I've enjoyed both of the TV series based on the books, especially the recent Anne with an E. Loved the first season. I have recently bought the books in the series for my wife and I hope to read as well.

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 47 comments This sounds good & the shows. Arrgh so many to get to! Wish I would have got to more of these in my younger years....

Linda  | 915 comments Colleen wrote: "This sounds good & the shows. Arrgh so many to get to! Wish I would have got to more of these in my younger years...."

They read quickly. Not too many layers, you can just consume them, but will notice things such as the use of color, etc as you read.

Renee Freeman (reneefreeman) | 12 comments Just bought old copy of Anne’s House of Dreams for ...50 cents .I was so excited, I had loaned my copy out years ago and was never returned.

message 11: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 47 comments Renee wrote: "Just bought old copy of Anne’s House of Dreams for ...50 cents .I was so excited, I had loaned my copy out years ago and was never returned."

I love that bargain shopping! It's how I buy most of my books these days.

Linda | 10 comments I’ve only read the first book in the series, hope to get to them sometime as really enjoyed it so much....

Heather (bruyere) I absolutely loved the tv series growing up. I read the first three books recently. The first book was good but so closely matched the show that I found it rather uninteresting. The next two books I found mostly disappointing, so I haven't gone back. I still appreciate that she wrote the stories so we can have such great tv....but I just don't think the books were worth reading.

Catherine (catjackson) My Canadian grandmother gave me the first couple of books in the series maaaany years ago and I devoured them. She and I would talk about the books and she would add more to my collection as time went by. She passed away a few years ago and this series always reminds me of the times we spent together.