Book Chat discussion

What Are You Reading / Reviews > What Are You Reading? Reviews July, August, & September 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 1110 comments Mod
This is where you can post your comments & reviews about the books you're reading/have read.

Let us know the author, title, synopsis, what you liked, what you didn't like & why

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Island of Bones (Crowther and Westerman, #3) by Imogen Robertson

Island of Bones, Imogene Robertson

★ ★

While this book had a very interesting story line, the writing bored me and I did not care overly much for the characters (which is important for me)....

The simpering Mrs. Briggs who now owns the former estate/home of the Greta's

Sullen, anti-social Gabriel Crowther (formerly Charles Penhalgion), anatomical scientist

Inquisitive & intelligent Mrs. Harriet Westerman, crime solving partner of Gabriel

Imperious & demanding Vizegrafin Margaret von Bolsenheim, Gabriel's sister & Mrs. Briggs' neighbor

from the inside flap: "Cumbria, England 1783. The tomb of the 1st Earl of Greta should have lain undisturbed on its Island of Bones for three hundred years.When an extra body is discovered in the ancient crypt, however, Gabriel Crowther and forthright Mrs. Harriet Westerman travel to the Lake District to investigate.

Gabriel Crowther's family, marked by its own bloodied legacy, bought the Greta's land years ago. His brother was hanged for murdering their father , the Baron of Keswick, and Crowther has chosen the safety of seclusion and anonymity over estate and title for thirty years.

Now, Crowther and Mrs. Westerman, who is fleeing her own tragedy, find a little town caught between new horrors and old, where ancient ways challenge modern justice. In Island of Bones, Crowther discovers that his haunting past will not stay buried and the lure of the mystery--a broken heritage, a secret history--bring him home at last."

This sounds wonderful, does it not? It was all too tediously written for me and the two women; Mrs Briggs & the Vizegrafin distracted me from the mystery.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Stolen Remains (Lady of Ashes, #2) by Christine Trent

Stolen Remains, Christine Trent

★ ★ ★ ★

This was a treat: an interesting & compelling read, which I read in one day!

Mrs. Violet Harper, widow of London undertaker Mr. Morgan, now running a funeral business in Colorado is currently visiting her sick mother in England.

Lord Raybourn, recently returned from Egypt where he was keeping tabs on Prince Albert Edward & the building of the Suez Canal by the French, is found dead of a gunshot wound to his face by his housekeeper and soon to be wife Mrs. Peet.

Violet is summoned by Queen Victoria to take over the preparations of the body and funeral of the now deceased Lord Raybourn , as well to ask questions about his death...

Due to the nature & extent of facial disfigurement of the corpse, Violet locks the coffin. After agreeing to open it for Mrs. Peet, so that she might take hair for a mourning brooch, Mrs. Peet is found dead, hanged by her neck.

Meanwhile, both Lord Raybourn's Valet & Cook have gone missing and then someone steals Lord Raybourn's remains demanding a ransom for their return.

In the house with Violet are the family:
* Stephen, 2nd son is the new Lord Rayburn; as his eldest brother Cedric, was assumed dead in the Crimean War
* Katherine, Stephen's wife
* Dorothy Fairmont, Lord Raybourn's eldest daughter whom he forced into spinsterhood
* Eleanor "Nelly" Bishop, Lord Raybourn's youngest daughter, whom he forced into an unwanted marriage & out of a career in journalism
* Gordon Bishop, Nelly's husband
* Toby Bishop, Nelly's & Gordon's son who always seems to disappear

Working against Violet is Inspector Hurst of Scotland Yard, who would prefer the death of Lord Raybourn be ruled suicide, but isn't quite convinced.

There were many twists and turns, the family members were written so that they appeared to the reader opposite of their true character.

The dialog was easy to read, the various practices of preparing a body for burial & a family for mourning was very interesting.

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1189 comments Mod
The Terra-cotta Dog (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries) by Andrea Camilleri
The Terra-Cotta Dog – Andrea Camilleri – 3.5***
Book two in the Inspector Montalbano series has him solving a 50-year-old crime. Montalbano is a wonderful lead character. He doesn’t suffer fools gladly, nor sweat the small stuff. He’s intelligent, a loyal friend and is always ready to find the humor in a situation, no matter how dire. Camilleri populates the novel with an assortment of colorful characters that complicate Montalbano’s life. Interesting, engaging and entertaining. I’ll keep reading the series.
LINK to my review

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "The Terra-cotta Dog (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries) by Andrea Camilleri

The Terra-Cotta Dog
– Andrea Camilleri – 3.5***
Book two in the Inspector Montalbano series has him solving a 50-year-old crime. Montalbano is a wonderfu..."

I'll try it....

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

What the Dead Leave Behind (A Gilded Age Mystery #1) by Rosemary Simpson

What the Dead Leave Behind, Rosemary Simpson

★ ★

From the inside flap: "As the Great Blizzard of 1888 cripples the vast machinery that is New York City, heiress Prudence MacKinzie sits anxiously within her palatial Fifth Avenue home waiting for her fiancée's safe return. But the fearsome storm rages through the night. With daylight more, than two hundred people are found to have perished in the icy winds and treacherous snowdrifts. Among them is Prudence's fiancée - his body frozen, his head crushed by a heavy branch, his fingers clutching a single playing card, the Ace of Spades...

Close on the heels of her father's untimely demise, Prudence is convinced that Charles' death was no accident. The Ace of Spades was a code he shared with his school friend, Geoffrey Hunter, a former Pinkerton agent and attorney from the South. Wary of sinister forces closing in on her, Prudence turns to Geoffrey as her only hope in solving a murder not all believe in -- and to help protect her inheritance from a stepmother who seems more interested in he family fortune than Prudence's well being."

Well, I'd say that the above blurb was rather over dramatic & Gothically eerie, and so too is the book. So why did I check the book out? I wasn't paying close attention to what I was reading, when I picked it up off the shelf, and one of my favorite Historical Mystery authors, Victoria Thompson, gave it a good review.

So the book begins w/ Charles (who is carrying in his briefcase the legal marriage papers that will set Prudence free from her stepmother) following an older attorney out into the BLIZZARD attempting to make sure that the older man remains safe... Which I immediately questioned the sanity of.

The author goes on to describe the ferocity of the blizzard and the fact that one could not see in front of them. Unbelievable for me was if one was unable to see, how would the murderer know that Charles was out & about and how could he follow Charles, cosh him in the head, and steal the briefcase?

Then we read that Prudence's father married a much younger woman, who when the father was not present was beastly cruel to the young Prudence... and now Prudence has a dependency on Laudanum which she is weaning herself off of, by pouring her nightly warm milk (which her stepmother lovingly prepares) out the bedroom window.

Prudence is just 19 and unable to be free of her Stepmother unless she is to marry, which she is about to do... Charles was on his way with all the legal marriage papers that would bring Prudence into full inheritance.

I didn't like the writing, I didn't like the characters (which you all know is a deal breaker for me), but the plot was a good one, even if overtly Gothic. I also found the book to be rather violent, right up to the end, which was another -★.

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Death at the Abbey (Lady of Ashes, #5) by Christine Trent

Death at the Abbey, Christine Trent

★ ★ ★

This was a strange one, and I had thought it might be the 2nd in the series (as the Library dates acquisition date), but I was wrong..

Violet is a remarried widow, her first husband left her is undertaker business in London. When she remarried Sam, an American Lawyer, she sold the business & they moved to Colorado.

Violet had returned to England to help take care of her
mother, when Queen Victoria remanded Violet (who had done a splendid job providing the King Consort's funeral) to help conduct a funeral of a Peer.

As Violet worked in conjunction with her former partners for the funerary needs and one of the partner's wives was unhappy being married to an undertaker, Violet bought him out & has formally returned to work in England.

At this point, Violet is still in England w/ Sam, who has just met Mr Alfred Nobel (Nobel Prize) and is attempting to gain backing for a mine, touting it as safer by using Nobel's invention of dynamite... which The Queen is adamantly against.

Violet is summoned by Duke Portland to attend to the lifeless body of his favorite Raven Aristotle (we never find out what killed him) to prepare & bury him.

The Duke is a recluse that does his business from behind a screen and rarely goes out except at night. He is in the process of restoring the mansion, but never has guests. The Duke is also in the process of building tunnels, he travels to town, church, railway, everyplace by tunnels that are large enough for his carriage. There is a ball room underground, a chapel, and soon to be a skating rink for the staff, which Sam is helping to excavate w/ use of his dymanite...

The Duke is generous, when a worker dies, their family is kept on w/ a stipend & a cottage. The Duke also employs boys from an orphanage at full adult wages, which are set aside & given to them when they emigrate to Canada, where he finds the jobs.

While a guest of the enigmatic Portland, Violet stumbles upon three other bodies, two estate workers and a retired Colonel, a war-time friend of the Duke's who had a penchant for glass eyes and digging for buried treasure on the estate: it is up to violet to take care of their remains and find out who murdered them.

There are no end of suspects and there are, of course, Red Herrings... The main clue coming when Violet visits the Duke's sister while on an errand to visit P.M. Gladstone in order to investigate a suspect.

The book held my interest, some of it was just ok, some of it didn't make sense: how do 3 men end up being murdered & no one reports the murders to the Police or Scotland Yard? The one small part where Scotland yard is called in, is the attack on Violet while in London...

There wasn't as much discussion on funerary practices in this book as the last one I read, which is what really makes the books interesting for me and as Violet isn't a coroner, she isn't able to always discern w/ certainty the exact cause of death.

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

The Girl She Used to Be by David Cristofano
The Girl She Used To Be – David Cristofano – 2**
A young woman in Federal Witness Protection Program is surprised when a man calls her by her real name. On the positive side, Cristofano writes a fast-paced suspense filled story full of twists and turns. On the other hand … the plot stretches credulity too far and at the end I’m left just shaking my head and muttering “Huh?”
LINK to my review

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "The Girl She Used to Be by David Cristofano

The Girl She Used To Be
– David Cristofano – 2**
A young woman in Federal Witness Protection Program is surprised when a man calls her by her real n..."

Do you want me to post to FB? Or do you want to?

message 10: by Yen (new)

Yen Lian | 1 comments Book Concierge wrote: "The Girl She Used to Be by David Cristofano

The Girl She Used To Be
– David Cristofano – 2**
A young woman in Federal Witness Protection Program is surprised when a man calls her by her real n..."

I've read this too and I loved it, I've posted a review before on my blog.

Here's the link if anyone's interested.
https://xiaohuamaobiji.wordpress.com/...

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Kimberly wrote: "
Do you want me to post to FB? Or do you want to?..."

If you don't mind doing it, would you? Don't have a smart phone and I don't have THIS GR account connected to my husband's facebook account (the only one in this household with a FB account).

Thanks.

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Call the Midwife A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth
Call the Midwife – Jennifer Worth – 4****
Originally titled: The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy and Hard Times . This was renamed to coincide with the popular television series. I think Worth did a good job of honestly relaying her experiences during the 1950s, serving as a midwife in London’s East End. There are some graphic scenes, but I felt they were honestly portrayed.
LINK to my review

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Flora Segunda (Flora Trilogy, #1) by Ysabeau S. Wilce

Flora Segunda, Ysabeau S. Wilce

★ ★ 1/2

Oh my! This is a triology? So much for that.... This has been on my (physical) TBR bookshelf forever and I finally got around to reading it.

Flora Segunda (the second Flora, first one died)... is the 3rd daughter in a military family, all who take their place in the Barracks to become warriors, but unlike others in her family, Flora carries Magic.

Flora's mother is The General & very strict, no-nonsense & willful with very little if any time for her family, but is planning Flora's Catorcena (like a Quinceañera) and demands that Flora not only go to school, maker her dress, but take care of the house, dogs, stables, & Poppy as well.

Flora's father, Poppy, whom Flora has inherited her magic from, has lost his will and has fits of madness, drunkenness, rage, a rare bit of sanity.

All great houses have Butler's, but Valefor has been banished by The General and imprisoned in the Biblioteque (Library). When Flora accidentally comes across him, she pities him & allows him to draw her breathe from her in exchange for his performing his former housekeeping duties, which becomes her undoing.... As Flora assists Valefor, they both begin to fade into the Abyss and this is when Flora if forced to seek help from those adults whom society fear & her mother loathes.

While making a mess of life, Flora's friend Udo is there watching her back every-step-of-the-way.

The book had a very interesting premise & plot.... But as Flora is a child she tends to be whiny & creating problems she has no idea how to solve.

I really did not warm to any of the characters, except Udo and the Boy Pirate, who was a minor character and for some reason a major threat to The General.

I found a good part of the book at the beginning to be dully repetitive, while other parts of the book were difficult to understand.

Needless to say, I will not be reading the other two in the triology.

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Bitter Grounds by Sandra Benítez
Bitter Grounds - Sandra Benítez – 4****
This is a sweeping historical epic covering three generations of two families in El Salvador: the wealthy land-owners, and the servants employed by them. Through these families the reader learns something of the history of El Salvador from about 1932 to 1975. I really enjoyed the way Benítez showed these two classes interacting. As much as they tried to remain separated, they were inextricably linked and their lives held many parallels. Winner of the American Book Award, 1998.
LINK to my review

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Lady of Ashes (Lady of Ashes, #1) by Christine Trent

Lady of Ashes, Christine Trent

★ (being generous)

This is the first book in the series, had I read it first I would never have read any more in the series....

Violet Morgan is working in her husband's funerary business as an undertaker. Violet discovers Susannah, a child of 9 sleeping in one of the coffins...

Susannah has run away from a workhouse after the death of her mother. Violet takes Susannah back to the workhouse but is so appalled by the attitude of the Matron & the conditions of the place that Violet adopts Susannah and begins teaching her the funerary business.

Violet & Susannah are on the train back from the workhouse, when Susannah comes across a woman, whom she fears, from her past. While on the train there is a terrible accident; Violet suffers a badly mangled arm and Susannah disappears.

Violet's verbally abusive husband Graham & his brother Fletcher have embarked upon a shady business deal, which will eventually be their undoing, with Samuel Harper, a lawyer from Colorado. Samuel becomes enchanted w/ Violet & Susannah and endeavors to protect them from Graham's undoing.

The Adams (not Addams) family, along w/ Samuel Hunter is working w/ the British government to contain the Confederacy and put a halt to British privateers intent on slipping through the blockade.

Violet meets Albert, the Prince Consort, while attending to the remains of a former Admiral (?) and is later requested by Albert to handle his funeral, which Queen Victoria reluctantly agrees to.

There is also a serial killer on the loose; noted throughout the book by cryptic journal entries, which eventually reveals that Violet has been targeted.

This was just all too much for me.... and to make matters worse, there were 4 additional long side stories as well....

The parts about Violet's husband's illicit business dealings w/ Sam Harper & the tie-in to the Adams family and American-British politics during the American Civil War was flakin' tedious, boring, & exhausting, which for me was the deal-breaker, so much so that I finally skipped over most of it.

I continued with the book in order to make the full connection between Violet & Sam, which continues throughout the rest of the series...

My suggestion is do not judge the rest of the series by this first book.... In fact, had I known, I would have skipped this one all together.

message 16: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 15, 2018 09:30PM) (new)

A Virtuous Death (Lady of Ashes, #3) by Christine Trent

A Virtuous Death, Christine Trent

★ ★ ★ ★ (Don't Faint)

Violet Harper, undertaker, is still living at St. James Court and the beck & call of Queen Victoria.... Much to Violet's dismay she is summoned by the Queen to attend a spiritualist message session given by the Queen's Ghillie, Mr. Brown.

Mr. Brown's tarot reading warns the Queen that there is death & plots abounding that will be their undoing.

While attending the Queen, Violet befriends both Princess Beatrice & Princess Louise. Princess Louise is involved with a group of aristocratic young women who are working against to abolish "The Contagious Disease Acts (1864, 66, & 69). When one of the young women in the group dies, Princess Louise is convinced that her friend was murdered and sends Violet to attend to the remains. When two more young women of the group are found dead, with similar symptoms, Violet is forced to go to Scotland yard for help. Aside: I realize Violet is a professional undertaker and lacking medical experience, but she seemed rather blasé about the odd double bite marks found on each of the women's bodies .

In Wales, Sam Harper, Violets husband is witness to the Mold riots and the murder of a young housemaid, Margaret Younghusband (actual person killed in riot) by indiscriminate shots fired by soldiers at the townspeople. Margaret's 1/2 brother, Reese Meredith (fictional character for this book), is so distraught & ired by the murder of Margaret, that he seeks revenge upon the Royal Family.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the stories therein. The plot kept moving, seemed credible, and held my interest.

message 17: by Book Concierge (new)

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
The Forgotten Garden – Kate Morton – 4****
In 1913 a 4-year-old girl is found alone on the wharf in Australia. In 2005, her granddaughter inherits a cottage in Cornwall from her grandmother, and sets out to solve the mystery of her grandmother’s origins. What a magical story. The action moves back and forth in time, from the late 1800s to 1913 to 1975 to 2005, and changes perspective from chapter to chapter. I was engaged and interested from beginning to end.
LINK to my review

message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
Lilac Girls – Martha Hall Kelly – 3.5***
Using three different narrators, the novel tells the WW2 story of the women prisoners held at the notorious Nazi prison camp Ravensbrück. Kelly used two real-life women: Caroline Ferriday, a New York socialite and Broadway actress, and Dr. Herta Oberheuser, a German physician who became the only female surgeon operating at the prison camp. The third narrator is Kasia Kuzmerick, a Polish teenager who is sent to the camp along with her sister, whose story is loosely based on that of a pair of sisters who survived the operations they underwent at Ravensbrück. It’s good historical fiction and a decent debut. I look forward to reading Kelly’s next book.
LINK to my review

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

The Mourning Bells (Lady of Ashes, #4) by Christine Trent

Mourning Bells, Christine Trent

★ ★ ★ ★

This book's plot centers around the Debtor's Act of 1869 and use of safety coffins, in particular those with bells that when the mistakenly dead person inside the coffin pulls the string, a bell outside the ground would ring, thus notifying that the occupant was alive.

Violet Harper is the widow of Graham Morgan & proprietor of her deceased husband's undertaking business, she is also now the wife of American Sam Harper, who is intent on operating a coal mine using the newest technique of blasting w/ dynamite.

While Violet is seeing to a journey to a burial via the Funeral Train, she happens upon a safety coffin w/ its bell ringing. Upon opening the coffin, she finds a young man, very much alive inside.

At first Violet assumes this is a sloppy undertaking mistake, then Violet once again comes across a safety coffin, as she tests the bell, a young man bursts forth from inside, again causing Violet to question the sloppiness of the undertaker.

On Violet's third trip upon the Funeral Train, a young woman becomes hysterical when the safety bell of the coffin she is accompanying does not ring, and the young man inside is found to indeed be dead.

The young men all have one thing in common, they were from society, well off and in debt...

As Violet investigates w/ her newly married Daughter Susannah, both Violet & Susannah are attacked, which forces Violet to include Scotland yard in her investigation.

This book was very interesting as it explores many facets of Victorian society and its undertaking & funerary practices. I was able to guess a major portion of the plot... but this did not diminish my interest in the book.

message 20: by Book Concierge (new)

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova
Left Neglected – Lisa Genova – 3***
As she has done for other neurological disorders, Genova crafts a compelling story that educates and entertains. I felt Sarah’s frustrations as she worked with occupational therapists to try to regain some of her lost functionality. I empathized with her inability to let go of the high expectations she set for herself. I thought the book was interesting and informative, but not as compelling as some of her other works.
LINK to my review

message 21: by Kimberly (new)

Teetotaled (Discreet Retrieval Agency, #2) by Maia Chance

Teetotaled, Maia Chance

Wow, what an unbelievably poorly written book.....

The main character (M.C., because I can not remember her name) & her former cook, Berta, have opened the "Discreet Retrieval Agency"; these two are anything but discreet.... She just can not keep her mouth shut about her investigations...

M.C., is a former member of society, he husband has died & left her with nothing... His brother has taken over the family home & is about to marry M.C.'s sister.

M.C. & Bertha are hired to retrieve a young woman's diary; which will have serious implications for some rich society man.... M.C. & Berta check into a health farm which is run by M.C.'s brother-in-law. The retrieval of the diary is for naught; the young disappears; and an older society matron is found dead w/ an empty bottle of rum in her hand (but she only drank gin).

M.C. is hot for Ralph Oliver, who has recently returned from Cuba. He too is an investigator, but a very subtle & discreet one, who divulges little or nothing to M.C. about his case, which parallels hers.

The dialog between the characters makes M.C. seem shallow, insipid & inane.

The ending was totally ridiculous and uninspiring.

No matter how much this author strove for cute, she failed.

If you want a better mystery set in the 1920's read: Phryne Fisher, Grace and Favor, or Amory & Milo....

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

They can't all be winners ....

Mrs. Poe by Lynn Cullen
Mrs Poe – Lynn Cullen – 2**
Historical fiction that focuses on the relationship between Frances Osgood, a poetess, and Edgar Allan Poe, and complicated by the attempts at friendship between Poe’s wife and Frances. Well, I wanted to like this. I just never really felt any love between them. I got tired of the longing and yearning and attempts to stay apart, only to be inextricably drawn together. I found the author’s notes at the end of the novel more interesting than from the novel itself.
LINK to my review

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Gin and Panic (Discreet Retrieval Agency, #3) by Maia Chance

Gin and Panic, Maia Chance

★ ★

This was a bit better than the previous in the series, not much, but I liked the characters & story better.

Main Character (M.C., because I still can not remember her name) is still a ditz and still knows squat about discretion...

Locked door, fake suicide mystery... With a 2nd murder of one of the guests, hidden treasure, a cache of diamonds hidden in the head of a rhinoceros, and dealings w/ a mobster

I read this two days ago, and don't remember too much about the details, but we do find out why M.C.'s love doesn't want to get married.

I won't be continuing w/ this series.

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Bad Housekeeping (An Agnes and Effie Mystery #1) by Maia Chance

Bad Housekeeping, Maia Chance

★ ★ ★

It could be me, it could be this author, it could be the genre of "Cozy Mystery"....

I didn't really like the two main characters, but I did like the other characters, even the one who done it....

Let's see; Agnes & Effie, her aunt/grandmother (I forget, and it's not important to me) are working to restore the old mansion/inn that Effie has just purchased... It is run down & thanks to the nasty head of the local historical society has been slated to be demolished.

Eventually the nasty woman is murdered and there are no few suspects, including her daughters...

The book mostly held my interest & I didn't skip as much as I did when reading the author's other books.

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
The Road – Cormac McCarthy – 3***
A man and his son wander a desolate and destroyed American landscape after some unnamed world-wide disaster has pretty much killed off most of the earth’s population and destroyed the environment. I don’t need a happy ending in order to appreciate and like a book. But I do need to feel some sense of purpose to the story, and I couldn’t figure out what McCarthy was trying to impart. Still, there is something about McCarthy’s writing that captivates me. I like his spare style. I like the way he paints the landscape so that I feel I am living in the novel (even if it’s a horrible place to be). I think he’s one of those author’s whose works I appreciate, even when I don’t particularly like them.
LINK to my review

message 26: by Kimberly (new)

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair, Nina Sankovitch

I'm sure most people will disagree with my rating, but I was not enthralled and I'm not into grieving for people (family, friends, or otherwise) who have suffered a prolonged painful death.

After the author's sister died at the age of forty-six of bile duct cancer, the author turned her life in to a race to do as much living as possible...

Upon the author turning forty-six, she spent the entire year reading & reviewing one book a day...

I found the book not to be about her "Magical Year of Reading" but of the homage to her sister & her sister's death.

At the beginning of the book we learn about her parents' lives before they emigrated to the u.s. Early on the book for some confusing reason repeats itself, I had to check the pagination to make sure I had indeed passed from page 27 to page 28, rather than re-reading a previous paragraph.

So this book is about how reading helped the author through her grief; although I certainly could happily have gone without reading this book and the burden.

The book felt as if it was a form of therapy for the author and I was the most unwilling therapist....

message 27: by Book Concierge (new)

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier
My Cousin Rachel – Daphne du Maurier – 4****
Oh, what a tangled web we weave …. Wonderfully atmospheric, gothic psychological suspense. Rachel is flirtatious one moment, and standoffishly proper then next. She seems callously indifferent in one scene and then solicitous and concerned about Philip on the next page. She’s both captivating and infuriating!
LINK to my review

message 28: by Kimberly (new)

The Life of Elizabeth I by Alison Weir

Life of Elizabeth I, Alison Weir

★ ★

I read this again? What was I thinking?

This was tedious..... I swear Weir is redundant, over & over & over & over the same event...

You can beat a dead horse all you want, but it's just not going to get up & pull your wagon ever again...

I'm thinking this was rather written as a time line, because I was reading all about the Deceits of Mary Stuart and then all of a sudden there are 3-4 other chapters about whatever-it-was.... I think it was marriage plans (again) to d'Anjou.... or some such French Royal son of deMedici, but then changed to his younger brother Alençon... and then back to Mary Stuart (who was a total whack-job)

All the details, minute, important, unimportant..... So where I had originally given this 4 stars, well too bad, so sad, it now has 2.

I realize that Elizabeth had a btch of a difficult childhood & an even more hellacious time when her sister was queen.... But her constant neediness, jealousy, selfishness, prevarication & how she treated those people close to her when they disagreed with her (especially when they were right & just)....

In my belief she was psychologically way past disturbed (narcissistic), but not in comparison to her father or sister.... I do not understand how many times she allowed certain people to betray her before she finally put an end to the betrayals. How she could blame & turn against, those proving just & fair dealings while protecting her...

I will say, as a ruler she did her best for England and her people....

The book was 400+ pages and it felt as if I was reading 365 days x 45 years of information....

I'm still a bit dazed & confused & need to clear my head after this one.... and again, I'm not sure how I could have possibly forgotten I'd already read this... but it had a nice cover picture & in the portrait of her coronation, she looks exactly like her father...

message 29: by Book Concierge (new)

The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
The Yearling – Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings – 4****
Rawlings’s 1938 Pulitzer-winning novel focuses on the boy Jody, his parents Ora and Penny Baxter, their neighbors the Forresters, and their hard-scrabble lives in central Florida in about 1870. As the fawn AND the boy grow to “yearling” status, they face difficult decisions that affect the family’s very survival. I loved the poetic way Rawlings wrote about the natural world; it reminded me of the many times I went camping with my father and brothers, and the lessons he imparted about plants, animals, nature, survival, hunting and fishing. I highly recommend this classic of children’s literature.
LINK to my review

message 30: by Kimberly (new)

His Last Letter Elizabeth I and the Earl of Leicester by Jeane Westin

His Last Letter, Jeane Westin

Minus

1/2 ★, maybe even a minus

Well, it started out as a good idea... but then it got involved & the author lost the time & place and the language changed to modern day rot.

I do enjoy historical fiction, especially about 1500's, but this was so far off base. The author took blatant liberties w/ the personages & the non-fiction accounts in order to make up a fantastical "romance", which rang so far false, that it was a shameful sham.

I'm pretty sure that "sweetheart" just wasn't a part of courtly vocabulary... and much of the dialog had a 20th/21st century style....

In this book she called him "Rob"? Really? No Way in Hell.... She asked him to murder Mary Stuart while he was in his bed? No Way in Hell. That Dudley took Elizabeth's virginity? Ah, ha, ha, ha,ha....

Wow this author has one hell of an active imagination.

Thankfully it was a fast, albeit, boring read and it knocked off one more book from my TBR

message 31: by Kimberly (new)

A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery, #1) by Dianne Freeman

A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder, Dianne Freeman

★ ★ ★ ★

This was a delightful story.. It was fun, light & easy to read; some of the places & people mentioned were actually real & I could identify with that.

Frances (one of those American rich débutantes that exchanged American money for British Title) is now a widow; her husband's mistress wakes Frances up in the middle of the night stating that she needs Frances's help moving Reggie's (dead) body out her bed & into the one he shared w/ Frances. Reggie, weighs too much, so Frances asks the only man at the house-party that has a modicum of discretion, George Hazleton (her best friend Fiona's brother), to help.

After the official mourning period is over, Frances moves out of the family estate, into Belgravia and unwittingly next door to George Hazleton (whom she had hoped to never see again); much to the delight of both George & Fiona .

Frances' sister, Lily & their Aunt Hetty, come to stay w/ Frances, in order for Lily to have her debut in London Society.

Frances' brother-in-law is so angry about losing Frances' money, he files a claim against her personal account.

(At that time in England, women could hold no property or, for the most part, bank accounts: All legally belonged to the husband, for his pleasure of disposal. In exchange a woman got a title and place in society).

When Lily & Hetty come to London for the "season", there begins a rash of thefts from homes where society parties have been held... Each of the three gentlemen courting Lily were at those parties.

While Frances, George, & Aunt Hetty investigate; the thefts, Lily's suitors, & Reggie's death (now a suspected poisoning) Frances becomes the target in a dangerous game of cat & mouse.

The story was short, fun & easy to read; I liked the characters (even the murderer).... The historical setting was well described and felt authentic rather than pedantic.

message 32: by Kimberly (new)

Radio Girls by Sarah-Jane Stratford

Radio Girls, Sarah-Jane Stratford

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ♥

What an excellent piece of historical fiction & well written book

Maisie (fictional character) gets a job w/ BBC, she eventually ends up working for Hilda Matheson as her assistant...(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilda_M...) .

Actual history in the story: As fascism begins to rear its ugly head, Nestle & Siemens, both pro-Nazi companies, work to take over the British Press & BBC... Women get the vote, Labor wins the elections...

Maisie unwittingly becomes engaged to a young man, whose family of British Society, signs a business contract w/ Nestle.

Maisie & Hilda work together w/ Lady Astor, Vita Sackville-West, & Harold Nicholson to thwart the British Nazi take over via the BBC & other Free Democratic Press outlets

Now here's the interesting thing, as I read about actual events that took place & were written about in this book; I am seeing the same exact happenings today in the u.s.: Nestle is taking over our water & our press is being controlled six companies, all aiming at limiting the information being disseminated & shared w/ the public.

The book goes on to talk about, Nazi's/fascists believing that by controlling the press, those who are too lazy to think for themselves will fall in line. The Fascists also asserted themselves as "socialists" and pro-working class.... Which is also easy to see in today's u.s. government.

What an eye-opener & the parallels of the Swiss-Fascist Nestle Corporation of pre-war Britain and their current agenda the take-over of the planet's water sources is blatantly obvious

I suggest that everyone read this book. Not only is this an excellent story, as it gives us a basic account of the BBC's history, but that of Hilda Matheson & the pro-democratic British society and their involvement in fighting off fascism in Britain

message 33: by Book Concierge (new)

The Professor and the Madman A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester
The Professor and the Madman – Simon Winchester – 4****
The subtitle is all the synopsis you need: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary. James Murray is the professor, a learned man who became the editor of the OED. Dr William C Minor is the madman, an American Civil-War surgeon whose paranoid delusions result in his commitment to an asylum for the criminally insane. And yet … Simon Winchester crafts a compelling non-fiction narrative. He captured my attention on page one and held it throughout.
LINK to my review

message 34: by Kimberly (new)

The Secret Lives of Color by Kassia St. Clair

The Secret Lives of Color, Kassia St. Clair

★ ★

Thorough, comprehensive, assiduous, meticulous, conscientious, painstaking, methodical, rigorous, in-depth, exhaustive, all-embracing, & anal-retentive book I have ever read: and to think when it came out I, as an artist who loves & revels in color, was so excited, that instead of waiting to read a Library copy (there was a humongous wait list) I bought one to own.

That was a mistake, but I learned (well no, I let most of it pass me over) more than I ever wanted to know, that I didn't even know was possible to know, about:
White + Seven (7) variations
Yellow + Ten (10) variations
Orange + Six (6) variations
Pink + Seven (7) variations
Red + Seven (7) variations
Purple + Six (6) variations
Blue + Eight (8) variations
Green + Eight (8) variations
Brown + Eight (8) variations
Black + Eight (8) variations

Included is a Preface & six (6) chapters prior to the investigation of the history of each color AND a Glossary, Notes, Bibliography (and suggested other reading), Acknowledgements, & Index all for 320 pages of mind-numbing, sleep inducing reading.

I am an artist; I use color, lots & lots of color; I mistakenly thought this book would further my knowledge of what I already knew: Lead white or red or orange is poisonous; Green is from arsenic & therefore also poisonous & William Morris used it heavily in his clothing & wallpaper; Sepia is squid ink; and cochineal (which we have & talk about at the Garden I docent at), used as natural food coloring, is a Bug!

It took me well over 6-8 months to read this and it hurt my brain. However, if you have a steel-trap for a brain and you want to learn about the composition & history of traditional colors used in art, clothing/fashion, make-up, and/or decor this is the book for you.

I'm thinking of gifting it to my favorite watercolor artist, it would better serve as a go-to reference source, rather than a sit-down "let's read for a bit" book!

It earned a 2nd ★ for the completeness & depth of information

message 35: by Book Concierge (new)

Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill
Someone Knows My Name – Lawrence Hill – 5*****
Originally published in Canada as The Book of Negroes , Hill’s novel tells the story of Aminata Diallo from 1745 to 1802. What marvelous story telling! I was engaged and interested from beginning to end. It’s a thought-provoking, informative and inspiring tale.
LINK to my review

message 36: by Book Concierge (new)

The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) by Diana Gabaldon
The Fiery Cross – Diana Gabaldon – 3***
Book number five in the popular Outlander series continues the saga of Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser. There’s plenty of drama and intrigue in these tales … personal and political. It’s a ripping good yarn that moves at a quick pace and held my interest throughout.
LINK to my review

message 37: by Kimberly (new)

English Tea Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #17) by Leslie Meier

English Tea Murder, Leslie Meier

★ ★ ★

This is the first time, to my recollection, I have ever read a mystery by Leslie Meier, and I was pleasantly surprised.

I usually am put off by "cute-cozy" and sparky, whiny, small-town women whom all seem too good to be true; however, I have run out of books to read, my TBR is mostly Tudor Fiction (I need a rest), and since we have a new County Library Director w/ her own blatant personal bias so our collection has gone to hell damnation (all books purchased are by people who know nothing and care naught about purchasing books of interest for any of the upper income level communities)... So, as the collection has gone to hell in a handbasket, I was forced to peruse the book sale and I ended up with this & an Agatha Raisin book as well.

Back to my review: four friends, one is Lucy Stone, the protagonist in the series, are off on a trip to England with a local college professor. Prior to boarding the plane, Lucy notices several odd incidents w/ the professor, and for some reason his asthma acts up while boarding the plane. Mid-flight he succumbs to anaphylactic shock.

The college then sends another professor to take over the tour, he has a past w/ Lucy from when she was a college student, which he tries to take advantage of.... but the professor is also making whoopee (check out that term) with one of the students on the tour.

There are mysterious events taking place on the tour, one of the students attempts to kill herself in Brighton by jumping off the pier, a friend of Lucy's is pushed into traffic, and two of the student's pull a knife on another of Lucy's friends, and then everyone (almost everyone) confesses, but it's not really over.....

The plot is loosely based on two of Agatha Christie's more famous works: "The Mousetrap" and "Murder on the Orient Express".

I liked the tour information, seriously it was like being an armchair traveler without photos and I like the extra bit at the end (the conclusion).

What took this down 1 ★ for me, was the beginning when being introduced to Lucy, she was whiny... I hate that.

I may or may not read another, but between this & Agatha raisin, I was able to read 2 books in 1 1/2 days.

message 38: by Kimberly (new)

Something Borrowed, Someone Dead (Agatha Raisin, #24) by M.C. Beaton

Something Borrowed, Someone Dead, M.C. Beaton

★ ★ 1/2

This is the first time I have ever read Agatha raisin by Marion Chesney (M.C.) Beaton. I have purposely avoided this series for the reason that I surmised (correctly) that Agatha Raisin was an blatantly brassy & bold busybody (alliteration) . Ah Ha! I was correct, she certainly isn't an endearing old biddy (Nosy Parker) like Miss Marple, although someone in the book likened her to be.....

In the neighboring village (hamlet) a woman is found poisoned, no one really liked her except for the Vicar, she was full of good church deeds, however, she was also pushy, a liar, & a thief. When she is found poisoned by a bottle of locally made elderberry wine the townspeople are actually quite relieved.

Agatha Raisin is called in to investigate by one of the locals, but because Agatha goes in brassy, bold & rude as the midday sun, and nobody is who they appear to be, the town closes ranks and Agatha is left to send in others to investigate for her.

The story; with the exception of Agatha's neediness of being with a man and her never-ending jealousy over her ex-husband as well as over another man with whom she had a thing was seriously off-putting.

...and another thing that bothered the pffffft out of me, the book should have ended on page 248 with the arrest of the murderer, but for some reason M.C. decided to keep it going for another 43 pages putting Agatha in mortal danger from the imprisoned murderer.

I was correct in thinking I would not like Agatha, she's a narcissistic harpy, which is a shame, because other than Agatha's over-the-top foibles, I liked the story.

message 39: by Kimberly (new)

The Palace of Laughter (The Wednesday Tales, #1) by Jon Berkeley

The Palace of Laughter, Jon Berkeley

★ ★ ★ 1/2

Miles Wednesday, orphaned, has escaped the orphanage for the 7th time & is living in a barrel when the Circus Obscuro comes to town. Meeting up w/ a very hungry magical Tiger, Miles goes down to the circus w/ a gift of bones for the Tiger, but the tiger is nowhere to be found.

Sneaking inside to see the show, Miles watches as a little girl, Little, balances up high then falls, miraculously using her wings to safely alight. When Little is finished, Miles watches as she is tied up & locked up. Little is a prisoner of the Circus Obscuro & will remain so as long as they have Silverpoint (an angel of sort) performing for them. Without Little, Silverpoint would desert the Circus Obscuro.

Reminiscent of: "Heck", ""The Faerie Door", & "Uncommon Goods"

message 40: by Book Concierge (new)

The Best of Friends Two Women, Two Continents, and One Enduring Friendship by Sara James
The Best of Friends – Sara James & Ginger Mauney – 2**
Sara James and Ginger Mauney met when they were in middle school, and this shared memoir covers their early divergent career paths, missteps and successes, both personally and professionally. Good for them. I was bored.
LINK to my review

message 41: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 08, 2018 11:26AM) (new)

The Irresistible Henry House by Lisa Grunwald

Irresistible Henry House, Lisa Grunwald

★ ★

Apparently in 1919 Cornell University began a trend in Home Economics called "Practice Babies" who all came from a local orphanage & were later adopted out... Young college women would take Home Economics to study & practice, chemistry, physics, mechanics, cooking, cleaning, & baby raising. The program went on until 1969.

So this book is about Henry, who was the child of the Dean's daughter by a man other than her husband and was eventually given over to the Practice House Mother to raise as her own.

It would have been nice to like Henry, but lets face it, he hated his adoptive mother, he hated his mother, & he used women... he was a sexually promiscuous misogynist. The author tries to make her readers sympathetic/empathetic towards Henry, but I for one would have like to slap him silly.

In a fit of defiance, Henry decides to become mute... so he is sent to the "Custodial Asylum for Unteachable Idiots" a.k.a. "Humphrey Asylum for the Feeble Minded" a.k.a. "Humphrey School for Mental Defectives"... which had me wondering what kind of person names a school that aims to help those in need such assholic titles?

So Henry, hates his adopted mother for never telling him the whole truth, hates his mother for disposing of him, & uses women sexually & emotionally by plying them with his charms & charisma...

So Henry starts out in Pennsylvania, then to the asylum in Connecticut as he has (purposely) become "mute" yet excels at art, then to N.Y. where his birth mother is working for the Times & living w/ one of his practice mothers, then to CA to work for Walt Disney on Mary Poppins, then to London to work for the Beatles on Yellow Submarine, to Paris to face off his birth mother one last time, & back to N.Y. to his "one true love".

Somehow everywhere he goes he finds a connection & seduces women.... and we are to fawn over Henry...

The book was too long for me, the characters particularly bent, odious, & unrealistic. As I stated, I'd like to have been able to beat the holy crap out of Henry, such a narcissistic p.o.s.

I will tell you this, it was a compelling read & I finished it in one day.... I wanted Henry to redeem himself (because of all the many, many opportunities he had to do so), but in my opinion: as a human being, Henry was as an unrepentant narcissistic failure.

message 42: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 08, 2018 10:49PM) (new)

Belle Epoque by Elizabeth Ross

Belle Epoque, Elizabeth Ross

★ ★ ★ ★

How would you like to be considered ugly? If you were poor, single, in a Huge City & in need a good paying job; would you accept employment based on what others perceive based on your looks?

That is the basis of this book: working in Paris as a Repoussoir, a plain companion that makes the woman who has employed her appear by comparison much fairer than she actually is.

Maude Pinchon has run away from a small town, where her father was planning to marry her to the local butcher.

As a Repoussoir to Isabelle, a local heiress whose mother is planning for Isabelle's marriage; Maude turns out to be more of a friend to Isabelle, who as it turns out has no intention of getting married, but plans instead to study science at the Sorbonne.

When it all comes crashing down around both women, both Isabelle & Maude team up to show the aristocracy for what it is....

I liked the story, I liked the characters... The women were strong, the men, meh, not-so-much! I liked that beauty bloomed no matter the looks of the girls and there was heart underneath the dejection.

What made this book make more of an impression on me was Maude's interest in photography & her thoughts, which mirror my own: "Using the camera as my tool, I hope to find that elusive inner light in the subjects that I photograph, both people & places, and to really see - see the truth and beauty of an instant.... With photography, as with any art, you are given the gift of connection, when you can say to a stranger: 'Look! I have something to tell you, I have something to say.'"

message 43: by Book Concierge (new)

Heat Lightning (Virgil Flowers, #2) by John Sandford
Heat Lightning – John Sandford – 3***
This is the second book in the Virgil Flowers series, which is a spin-off of Sandford’s extremely popular Lucas Davenport series. In his trademark style, Sandford gives us plenty of twists and turns in the plot, a few red herrings, and some subtle clues that are easy to miss. Flowers is an extremely likeable character. The action is fast and furious, and the ending is satisfying for the thriller/mystery genre.
LINK to my review

message 44: by Book Concierge (new)

Kimberly wrote: "Belle Epoque by Elizabeth Ross

Belle Epoque, Elizabeth Ross..."

This sounds really good.

message 45: by Kimberly (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Belle Epoque by Elizabeth Ross

Belle Epoque, Elizabeth Ross..."

This sounds really good."

It was, and LibraryCin was the one who recommended it

message 46: by Kimberly (new)

Four Funerals and Maybe a Wedding (Her Royal Spyness Mystery, # 12) by Rhys Bowen

Four Funerals and Maybe a Wedding, Rhys Bowen

★ ★ 1/2

Lady Georgiana is like 35th in line for the crown, she is about to marry Darcy O'Mara & a catholic in a small private wedding, when her cousin Queen Mary invites herself & the King as well as a slew of other Royal relations.

I disliked the beginning, because it begins w/ Georgie at Ascot w/ the Queen & King and she sees Darcy across the field w/ an attractive woman. Rather than going over greeting him & introducing herself, Georgie jumps to the wrong conclusion & falls into a pity pot of whining & moaning.

I wish to hell & back Bowen would finally stop this crap....

Georgie then receives a letter from one of her step-fathers, who is off in the Andes asking her, as his heir, and Darcy to move into to his estate & take over the management of it, as he's worried about shady dealing there.

Upon arriving at her new home, what Georgie finds is an unkempt estate; a truculent, lazy & surly staff; disappearing furniture; short accounts; and an ghost which for once in Georgie's life makes Georgie stop whining & find the gumption to take over and manage the staff & estate. While in town trying to find out what happened to the original estate staff, Georgie learns that there has been a rash of burglaries in the area.

There are 5 deaths; one more than in the title: The German Industrialist Father of Georgie's Mother's soon-to-be husband, the bride-to-be of Georgie's Granddad; the original Butler (a year before she arrived); the banker who has come to investigate possible fraud of the owner's mother's accounts; and the owner's mother whom Georgie & her Granddad find in the family vault.

When both Georgie's Mother's & Granddad's wedding are called off, Georgie invites them both to come stay with her. The new cook, Fernando, is so bad that Georgie calls her former maid Queenie back from Ireland where she has learned to be an excellent cook. At least Bowen changed Queenie's character from a gormless twit to a capable woman.

You know I despise weak & whiny characters who run hot & cold, it really does ruin a story; so I'm not sure if I can read another in the series.... I do not comprehend why the author takes so different a care with this series than her Molly Murphy series, the immaturity of these characters (considering royalty is involved) never ceases to amaze and disappoint me.

message 47: by Book Concierge (new)

Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende
Island Beneath the Sea – Isabel Allende – 4****
In a bit of a departure from her usual emphasis on Hispano-American history, Allende gives us a story of an 18th-century slave in French-occupied Saint-Domingue (later to become Haiti). We follow Zarité from her childhood through age forty, Saint-Domingue to Cuba and on to New Orleans. Allende is more than up to the task of relating the historical events that frame this family drama. I loved Zarité. She’s intelligent, resourceful, courageous, and wily. Violette is also a richly drawn character – willful, intelligent, confident, loyal and loving. None of the men in her life are a match for her.
LINK to my review

message 48: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 15, 2018 09:08AM) (new)

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8) by John Tiffany

Harry Potter & the Cursed Child, Rowling, Tiffany, & Thorne

I should have listened to myself when I said: "Kimberly-Ann, don't read this, you're not going to like it", because I was Spot On the Mark!

Why? Why was this written?

What a bunch of whiny unlikable people..... Why did Rowling have to ruin a wonderful set of characters & a wonderful series? It is not like she needed the money....

Sometimes (and this is one of those times) it is Best to Leave Excellent Alone. You Can Not Improve on Great, to try to do so ruins everything...

The End of Book Seven needed to Remain The End..

So anticlimactic, so disappointing, so-so-so Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

New & Improved 99.9% of the time ISN'T and this book proves it.

My small consolation, I didn't have to pay for it

Now I get it:

Fan Fiction, yep, no wonder it was gawd awful.... Someone had a fantasy to be a great writer & didn't have an original thought, except maybe: "what if...." and it just didn't play out well.

message 49: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) Heaven

Halo Series, Adornetto, Alexandra

5*****

I have completed this series and I really enjoyed it.

I would recommend this to anyone. It makes me think. I love all the aspect of this book.

message 50: by Laurie (last edited Aug 15, 2018 09:39AM) (new)

Laurie  (laugal) | 134 comments Villa Mirabella by Peter Pezzelli Read this one in one day.I liked it.Nice story of family,love,redemption and new beginnings. Family owns a B & B in Rhode Island.Good character development,nice flow to the story. I had tried to read other books by this author and did not like them,so I was surprised I really did like this one!

« previous 1 3