The Great American Read discussion

Charlotte's Web
This topic is about Charlotte's Web
Comments - Children and YA > Charlotte's Web

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Codie (new)

Codie | 61 comments My love for the animated movie got me to read this book and I’m so glad I did!

message 3: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 05, 2018 02:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
I've been voting for this book (among many others). I loved reading it as a child, and I loved reading it to my kids. The movie is wonderful too.

On the pbs show, someone (maybe it was a kid) pointed out that the best characters include a spider, a pig and a rat. Most people don't like spiders, pigs and rats, but this book makes them lovable.

I think that has a deeper message for all of us.

message 4: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne This is just the greatest story. I loved this as a kid.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I cried and cried at the ending.

message 6: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "I cried and cried at the ending."

Me too.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the first book I completely remember reading in elementary school. I still love the story today and have seen all the movie versions.

Parker | 204 comments NancyJ wrote: "aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "I cried and cried at the ending."

Me too."

Me as well. Every time.

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I loved this in school. Really need to re-read it.

Parker | 204 comments I discovered this as an adult (don't remember reading it as a child) and really loved it.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I requested it from the library, I should have it next week.

Heather (bruyere) I read this with my mom several times as a kid. And yes, I cried at the end. I hate spiders, but I still loved this book.

Gretchen My 4th grade teacher read this book to the class and by the end of it, there were over 20 8-9 years crying their eyes out.

Mrs. Haggerty read some great books to us. It was the best time of class.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished reading this today. Absolutely loved it ... still.

5 stars

message 15: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe (mstrahanache) | 52 comments I read this to my kid and I was blown away. I simply have no words how warm and how beautiful the story felt to me. I’m sure millions of readers said the same thing and mine is just another voice in a crowd but as I just discovered it through PBS Great American Read, I thought I should give it a big shout out. Because it made me feel wonderful and it felt good to sit with my baby (who’s no longer a baby in fact) and appreciate good storytelling and incredible friendship.

message 16: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
This made the Top 10!

I just got it out of the library to re-read after the What We Do for Love episode.

message 17: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe wrote: "I read this to my kid and I was blown away. I simply have no words how warm and how beautiful the story felt to me. I’m sure millions of readers said the same thing and mine is just another voice i..."

I miss having kids to read to. The last time was when my son was a tween and we read Harry Potter together.