Play Book Tag discussion

Child of the Warsaw Ghetto
This topic is about Child of the Warsaw Ghetto
Archive: Other Books > Child of the Warsaw Ghetto - David A. Adler - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments This is a true story young children's book of a boy born in 1936, growing up in the Warsaw ghetto, risking his life to help those in the ghetto, getting caught and being sent to several death camps, including Auschwitz, before being liberated.

My daughter still has trouble completely comprehending atrocities likes these through history so we talk about these things regularly and what makes someone treat another group of people like this.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this book to my children as well. Often it's difficult for adults to comprehend the atrocities let alone a child. But I do believe it is good for them to have an early understanding of not only the Holocaust but all the other atrocities throughout the world.

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Rachel wrote: "I read this book to my children as well. Often it's difficult for adults to comprehend the atrocities let alone a child. But I do believe it is good for them to have an early understanding of not o..."

Yes Rachel, I agree. Of course we have talked about the Holocaust and we read Number the Stars together. Plus we've talked about the Jehovah's Witnesses also being persecuted at this time with many other religious, ethnic, and political groups. We read A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story about the tribal wars in Sudan, being a refugee in Kenya and then the Kenyan government kicking the refugees out by deadly force. We've discusses the Trail of Tears and persecution of Native American's as a whole. She loves learning about this especially since she has learned a great great grandmother was Native American. She likes learning about Gandhi and we've talked about Nelson Mandela and South Africa.

But each time, she doesn't understand why the people can't get away or fight back. She has trouble grasping the idea of helplessness. She can't comprehend that after everything there is still a wall between Pakistan and India.

We have been discussing why people persecute others, but the how still elude her.