The Great American Read discussion

Gone Girl
This topic is about Gone Girl

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marnie (new) - added it

Marnie (marniekeister)

Roseanne Another one I loved the book so much I didnt even bother to watch the movie.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) One of my least favorite books of the past few years.

Roseanne She is twisted. It's shocking. Every character in the book is awful with no redeeming qualities. I can see how people dont like it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 01, 2018 08:36AM) (new)

The overall story was good, 4☆. Hated the ending!

Roseanne When I was reading it I kept saying aloud NOOOOO! to myself. Finally my husband said to me what are you reading? lol

Kirsten  (kmcripn) For me, I was just groaning and wondering when it would end.

Roseanne Kirsten wrote: "For me, I was just groaning and wondering when it would end."

lol

Sheila (sheilaj) Here I thought I was the only one that wondered. Huh? what's all the hype about?

Debbie Oh my goodness! I loved this book! I'm a sucker for a good thriller with gotcha plot twists. When I got to the middle of the novel I was blown away. After Sharp Objects which I did not like I was hesitant to read this but because of GAR I picked it up. I'm glad I did.

Linda  | 915 comments Roseanne wrote: "She is twisted. It's shocking. Every character in the book is awful with no redeeming qualities. I can see how people dont like it."

Agree. I took it on a trip to Peru. I finished it there, and there it stayed. Not worth the weight/space in the suitcase. This is one that I will never re-read. And I didn't think that the ending was that much of a surprise. After all, (view spoiler)

Bonnie I don't vote for it often, but do sometimes. I did love reading it. It was a unique experience for me loving a book and hating all the characters.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I read a much better book for hating the characters. I think the point is you should care about the characters. But in Gone Girl I couldn't even bothered to exercise myself in hating it.

A good book with bad characters is The Lying Tongue by Andrew Wilson. It is still memorable YEARS after reading it. GG is memorable just in the time wasted. Though not as bad as SHARP OBJECTS which I couldn't even be bothered to finish.

Linda  | 915 comments My best example of a book with characters that you hate (well, not all of them, the protagonist and a couple of others), but love the book is Coetzee's Disgrace

message 16: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim (skullfullofbooks) I did love Gone Girl in the second half. The first half was slow as molasses, but after everything clicked I liked the twisted nature of it.

Honestly, I'm just mad that Gone Girl has created this slew of "copy-cat" thrillers that are even worse at hiding that they have a "shocking twist" and hint at it from the beginning. The popularity of Gone Girl actually changed the thriller genre for months afterwards. That's too much power for one book to have.

Sarah I | 4 comments I liked the movie a lot more.

Gretchen Sheila wrote: "Here I thought I was the only one that wondered. Huh? what's all the hype about?"

Ditto. I say though, that the movie was much better than the book. I just didn't understand why everyone loved that book.

Gretchen Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Roseanne wrote: "She is twisted. It's shocking. Every character in the book is awful with no redeeming qualities. I can see how people dont like it."

Agree. I took it on a trip to Peru. I finished..."

Somewhere in Peru, someone is thinking how disrespectful we Americans are by leaving such a book. ;)

message 20: by Linda (last edited Aug 28, 2018 06:56PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Linda  | 915 comments Gretchen wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Roseanne wrote: "She is twisted. It's shocking. Every character in the book is awful with no redeeming qualities. I can see how people dont like it."

Agree. ..."

Haha, I was staying at a friend's house. She teaches English. So, I was.....um..........contributing to the advancement of English reading skills! (Either hers, or her sons', or at a later date, her students') That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :P

In all honesty, though, when I travel, I try to take books that I suspect I won't want to keep. When I'm done, if I don't want to keep it, I leave it in the hotel lobby. Nicer hotels in big cities usually have a sort of "book crossing/green dot" shelf. If it's in a less well-to-do city/town/neighbourhood, and it's in Spanish, there's no end of people who want free books, since in some countries , a book can cost 1/2 a month's salary, for some people.

That way, as I read, I clear space/weight in the suitcase, and don't have to worry about excess baggage on the way home, if I buy something. Also the reason why I have no trouble complying with their requests for bags of mini Reese's and Hershey's kisses!

Gretchen Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Gretchen wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Roseanne wrote: "She is twisted. It's shocking. Every character in the book is awful with no redeeming qualities. I can see how people dont l..."

Hi. I was trying to be your friend but I don't know the secret password even though what I put in there was seriously funny

Linda  | 915 comments Gretchen wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Gretchen wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Roseanne wrote: "She is twisted. It's shocking. Every character in the book is awful with no redeeming..."

Bahahaha, it's at the end of my "about me" section.........and put the funny back in, I can always use funny, especially seriously funny! :P