The Great American Read discussion

The Great Gatsby
This topic is about The Great Gatsby
Comments - other GAR Books > The Great Gatsby

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marnie (new) - added it

Marnie (marniekeister)

Roseanne Another one I really enjoyed. I got myself a copy of sparks notes to read with it. That makes me feel like a book nerd. lol

Colleen  | 47 comments I honestly don't remember much of this book - I should probably do a re-read, like I did for The Catcher in the Rye, which I enjoyed much more the second time around, probably due to maturity. But there's so many books out there I just really avoid reading books twice, even the really good ones I've loved. GR makes it so much easier to remember all the books I've read.I really wish I would have kept a journal of them all - prior to the internet. :)

Leila Jaafari (leilajaafari) | 1 comments Loved Great Gatsby. I read it when I was in the eighth grade and again as a sophomore in high school and liked the commentary on class distinctions and wealth.

Dawn I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't like this book.

Margie Dawn wrote: "I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't like this book."

I didn't like it either, Dawn. Maybe I should reread it again to make sure, but I think there are too many other books I'm looking forward to than spending time reading this again.

message 7: by Paula (last edited Jun 01, 2018 11:00PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paula Margie wrote: "Dawn wrote: "I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't like this book."

I didn't like it either, Dawn. Maybe I should reread it again to make sure, but I think there are too many other books I'm ..."

I'm always pleasantly surprised (although I shouldn't be) to hear that there are others besides me who didn't like this book. I read it twice to make sure I was sure. I was sure!

Dawn Yea! I'm not alone. Thanks. 😁

Rosemarie I actually enjoyed the book but really disliked most of the characters, except the narrator. I felt sorry for Gatsby because all of the characters were there only because of his wealth.
I am influenced by a writer's style, which is why I like this book. I think Fitzgerald is an excellent writer.

Roseanne I dislike most of the characters even though I liked the book too.

message 11: by Dawn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dawn I agree none of the characters were likeable.

Parker | 204 comments I didn't like it either.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Dawn wrote: "I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't like this book."

You're not in the minority. I didn't like it either.