The Great American Read discussion

Looking for Alaska
This topic is about Looking for Alaska
PAST Group Reads 2018 > Looking for Alaska- June- NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marnie (new) - added it

Marnie (marniekeister)

message 2: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2018 10:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
This is our June 2018 Group Read - SPOILER- FREE Thread. We are discussing Looking for Alaska by John Green. June 1- June 30.

There is also a Spoiler-thread to discuss key events, the ending, and any potential spoilers.

We will move this discussion thread down to another folder after June, but we will still be able to discuss the book. I hope you enjoy it!

Who is joining us?

message 3: by Janet, series facilitator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 91 comments Mod
I plan to read it. Right now I am reading Ghost. I also am committed to Bless Me, Ultima and Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Not sure which of the three to read next. What is the time frame for this group read?

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Kaso I read this last year (Looking for Alaska) after I read Green’s TFIIOS, which is my favorite of his so far. I also read Paper Towns. I liked LfA, but it was very much an early book. Also, as he writes for the Young Adult market, his characters are going to act & sound like the very definition of “sophomoric”. They are learning about life, making mistakes, fearful of the opinions of their peers, looking for love in all the wrong places, trying to act “cool” & knowledgeable when they are uncertain. Boarding school just heightens all of that by having fewer adults monitoring the students, my family & small town seemed to have GPS & immediate communication of where I was & with whom long before the cell phone came along.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I don't know, I've read YA books where the YAs make better decisions than most adults I know...

Roseanne I read a lot of YA novels. They are not all on the same level. I did not know it was an earlier novel. I didn’t read TFIOS because of this one maybe I should read that. Maybe I will like it better.

message 7: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. Haven't read any John Green books, but plan to startLooking for Alaska when my library hold becomes available.

message 8: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen  | 47 comments The only one I've read of his is The Fault in Our Stars which had such huge acclaim & I thought it was good. Not sure how his others really measure up. I can read YA if smart.

message 9: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janet wrote: "I plan to read it. Right now I am reading Ghost. I also am committed to Bless Me, Ultima and Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Not sure which of the three to read next. What is the time frame for this gro..."

I think we can be flexible on time frames, and leave books up for at least a month (or more?) What do you think? A lot of people liked the idea of having a new read every two weeks.

message 10: by Janet, series facilitator (new) - rated it 3 stars

NancyJ wrote: "Janet wrote: "I plan to read it. Right now I am reading Ghost. I also am committed to Bless Me, Ultima and Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Not sure which of the three to read next. What is the time fram..."
I agree about leaving books up for a month. Since most other book groups have their books up for the month starting with the 1st and ending on the 30th or 31st I think that if we are going to have more than one book a month we should plan it out beforehand so that those of us in multiple groups can plan our reading in advance.

message 11: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Colleen wrote: "The only one I've read of his is The Fault in Our Stars which had such huge acclaim & I thought it was good. Not sure how his others really measure up. I can read YA if smart."

I don't always like YA, but that book really touched me. I cried like a baby even though I swore I wouldn't. So I'm looking forward to this one.

message 12: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin (erin814) | 20 comments I'm going to start this one as soon as I finish 1984.

Tasha I'm joining in. An ebook copy was available so I grabbed it this morning. I'll be able to start tomorrow.

message 14: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 04, 2018 01:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janet wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "Janet wrote: "I plan to read it. Right now I am reading Ghost. I also am committed to Bless Me, Ultima and Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Not sure which of the three to read next. What i..."

I agree. I always like time to plan ahead and get books from the library. I'll put up a poll for July 1

message 15: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin wrote: "I'm going to start this one as soon as I finish 1984."

Me too. I have a feeling this book will offer a gentler kinder world than 1984. (If that's not true, don't tell me yet).

message 16: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janet wrote: "I just finished this. Four stars. I posted comments (in another "Great American Read" group) which have spoilers but if you want to read them I will post the link.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/s..."

Thanks Janet, I also set up a Spoiler thread for this book, so you can post it there too.

message 17: by Janet, series facilitator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Starting this today. My previous comment, since deleted from this discussion, said I just finished. The comment was posted in the wrong spot. Sorry for any confusion.