The Great American Read discussion

The Lord of the Rings
This topic is about The Lord of the Rings
49 views
Comments - other GAR Books > The Lord of the Rings (Series)

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marnie (new) - added it

Marnie (marniekeister)


message 2: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne I have always wanted to read this.


Rosemarie I have read these at least three times and wonder if I will have time to read them again this year.


message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 47 comments I need to read these too - actually working on the Harry Potter series (somewhat, in that I just finished the first one on audio which was very well done) now. I'm sure these are just really good & classic. I'm sure the author has had a huge impact on literary folks.


Rosemarie It was more than five years ago. I read them for the first time in the 70's.


message 6: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 21 comments These are on a very short list of books that I have read more than once.


message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Tom wrote: "These are on a very short list of books that I have read more than once."

I was given a box set of the paperbacks when I was in my teens (my older brother). I later loaned them to my nephew, 7 years my junior, and never got them back. I thought, "Oh, well, at least he's reading." I had had to replace the second or third one (original fell apart).

Flash forward to a few years ago. I'm visiting my niece (little sister to the nephew who had mine). She's the mother of two young ones with little time to read/watch TV. We're channel flipping. One of the films is on, and they're in Rivendell. She (an 8th grade English teacher in another life) mentions that she's never read the series. And goes to the bookcase and pulls out my set!


Catherine (catjackson) This was the first big fantasy series I read as a teenager and these are the books I keep coming back to. I had to buy a second set because I'd worn out the first!

The movies are good, too, but I still like the books better. That's because I make my own movie as I go along and nothing ever really comes close.


message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Catherine wrote: "This was the first big fantasy series I read as a teenager and these are the books I keep coming back to. I had to buy a second set because I'd worn out the first!

The movies are good, too, but I..."


That set came to me used and is still (mostly) alive today...been through two generations.
I remember struggling with either the second one or the third one. Lots of war and battles. Disliked The Iliad for the same reason.
However, I was thrilled with Andy Serkis' portrayal of Gollum in the film. It was exactly what I had pictured! And I think that the thrill of that added to my enjoyment of the film so much more


Catherine (catjackson) @ Linda... wrote, "That set came to me used and is still (mostly) alive today...been through two generations.
I remember struggling with either the second one or the third one. Lots of war and battles. Disliked The Iliad for the same reason."

I agree that the first of the series was easier to read, but somehow the wars and campaigns didn't bore me like the ones in The Iliad. But, yes, it is the first book that is now held together by rubber bands, but the others also have worn edges and the paper is now really soft.


message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Catherine wrote: "@ Linda... wrote, "That set came to me used and is still (mostly) alive today...been through two generations.
I remember struggling with either the second one or the third one. Lots of war and batt..."


Agree completely, The Iliad with its infintely long lists of "so-and-so, begat by so-and-so" just made me tune out. The Odyssey was so much more interesting to a high schooler.


message 12: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) I just picked up the one volume edition (1100+ pages) for $2 at my library! I’ve never read any of the books. I guess it’s about time, after I finish Lonesome Dove and Don Quixote. Of course, I had to pick the longest ones to read.


message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Pam wrote: "I just picked up the one volume edition (1100+ pages) for $2 at my library! I’ve never read any of the books. I guess it’s about time, after I finish Lonesome Dove and Don Quixote. Of course, I had..."

Think of the Quixote as a bunch of stories......easy to drop/pick up without losing the thread.


message 14: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Pam wrote: " and Don Quixote. Of c..."

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "
Think of the Quixote as a bunch of stories......easy to drop/pick up without losing the thread.
.."


Pam how are you doing with the long books?
I really want to read Don Quixote too. Linda - thanks I might start with the first chapter or so to get a flavor for it (and decide if I should give it a few votes at least.


message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Pam wrote: " and Don Quixote. Of c..."

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "
Think of the Quixote as a bunch of stories......easy to drop/pick up without losing the thread.
.."

Pam how are yo..."


Lol, it's touted as the first modern novel.........that's gotta be worth a vote or two! :)


message 16: by Paula (new)

Paula Catherine wrote: "This was the first big fantasy series I read as a teenager and these are the books I keep coming back to. I had to buy a second set because I'd worn out the first!

The movies are good, too, but I..."


Interesting comment, Catherine. Since you've read the books, you know that Peter Jackson took several liberties with the story. The movies were good, but I agree with you that the movies can never come close.


message 17: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Nancy - I just started part 3 of Lonesome Dove but have finished several other books since starting it! I keep having Library holds and ILLs come in. I plan to start Don Quixote in September. I’m giving myself 3 months to read it. The next long one to tackle is The Lord of the Rings. Although, my husband says I should read The Hobbit first. Any thoughts by those of you who have read the series?


message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Pam wrote: "Nancy - I just started part 3 of Lonesome Dove but have finished several other books since starting it! I keep having Library holds and ILLs come in. I plan to start Don Quixote in September. I’m g..."

Yes, start with The Hobbit. In order: The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King. The Hobbit deals with Bilbo Baggins and his journey, the other three with his nephew. What happens to his nephew will make much more sense if you've read The Hobbit. Just don't let all those dwarf names get you down!


message 19: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Pam wrote: "Nancy - I just started part 3 of Lonesome Dove but have finished several other books since starting it! I keep having Library holds and ILLs come in. I plan to start Don Quixote in September. I’m g..."

I read other books while I was in the middle of Lonesome Dove too. There is also a War and Peace read coming up soon, but I'd like to read the first chapter or two of Don Quixote to see if I like it. I also just started Their Eyes were watching God and I'm in heaven.

I tried to read the Hobbit in High School at the urging of my boyfriend and I couldn't get into it. I've read more fantasy since then, so I think I'll like it more when I try again. I did enjoy the first and third LOTR movies, though I didn't pay close attention to all the characters. If the writing is as good as people say, then it will be worth it.


message 20: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
Pam wrote: "Nancy - I just started part 3 of Lonesome Dove but have finished several other books since starting it! I keep having Library holds and ILLs come in. I plan to start Don Quixote in September. I’m g..."

I read the trilogy first and then the hobbit. I preferred it that way, but I don't think it matters. They're all pretty similar. It might be easier to knock out one book and then try to tackle the trilogy. If you don't read a lot of fantasy it may be hard to get into at first.

I love Lord of the Rings. It is one of my favorite works. I've read it several times and every time I love it all over again.


message 21: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Thanks for the input on The Hobbit!


message 22: by Atl (new) - rated it 5 stars

Atl (dark_leo) I’m currently listening to the fellowship of the ring on audible, I also have a print copy. I believe I’m in chapter 4.


message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Atlanta wrote: "I’m currently listening to the fellowship of the ring on audible, I also have a print copy. I believe I’m in chapter 4."

SInce I read them when I was young, this might be a good way to experience it again (I've seen the films more times than I can count). Any recommendations on narrator? Or is there only one available?


message 24: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Atlanta wrote: "I’m currently listening to the fellowship of the ring on audible, I also have a print copy. I believe I’m in chapter 4."

SInce I read them when I was young, this might be a good wa..."


I wish I could help, but I'm not an audio book person!


message 25: by Atl (new) - rated it 5 stars

Atl (dark_leo) There’s only one narrator available and I bought it on sale on audible. I’m now on chapter 16. Im really enjoying it. I think rob inglis is the narrator. It’s on my currently reading shelf.


message 26: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Atlanta wrote: "There’s only one narrator available and I bought it on sale on audible. I’m now on chapter 16. Im really enjoying it. I think rob inglis is the narrator. It’s on my currently reading shelf."

Thinks, good to know there's only one option! This might be the thing to do when I'm cleaning closets, laundry, etc


message 27: by Atl (new) - rated it 5 stars

Atl (dark_leo) Yes i listen to
Audio books when I’m
Cooking and cleaning .


message 28: by Atl (new) - rated it 5 stars

Atl (dark_leo) Check out The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...


message 29: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Atlanta wrote: "Check out The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1..."


Even more fun! Thanks!


message 30: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) I’m 65% in to The Hobbit and really enjoying it! Once I finish it I’ll start the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I like Tolkien’s writing. I don’t know why I didn’t read these books when I was in high school but it’s nice to find a classic, that you’ve never read and didn’t plan to read, in your 50s!


message 31: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Pam wrote: "I’m 65% in to The Hobbit and really enjoying it! Once I finish it I’ll start the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I like Tolkien’s writing. I don’t know why I didn’t read these books when I was in high s..."

I read them as a teen, but struggled with "The Two Towers"(found that one boring), and with trying to separate all of the dwarves,.........then, even when you watch the films, "Arwen" and "Eowyn", with very different personalities/roles, were hard to separate, when you heard the names.

I don't know if I could consider anyone as a perfect "Gollum", though, than Andy Serkis. He nailed that.


message 32: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Pam wrote: "I’m 65% in to The Hobbit and really enjoying it! Once I finish it I’ll start the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I like Tolkien’s writing. I don’t know why I didn’t read these books when I w..."

I think Gollum would be a really easy to caricature, but thankfully it was so well done in the movies. At least in Fellowship I could keep the names straight because of the different classes of characters. 13 dwarves in the Hobbit with similar names nearly sent me over the edge the first time.


message 33: by Linda (last edited Sep 09, 2018 07:29PM) (new)

Linda  | 915 comments J. wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Pam wrote: "I’m 65% in to The Hobbit and really enjoying it! Once I finish it I’ll start the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I like Tolkien’s writing. I don’t know..."

Yep, along with Boromir and Faramir.........yeesh

I loved hearing the story of Serkis' inspiration for the voice of Gollum....amazing, and it worked out so well!


message 34: by Heather (last edited Sep 10, 2018 08:23AM) (new)

Heather (bruyere) I really liked mine which is Rob Inglis and unabridged. He does the songs and everything.

I, also, read them out of order - First Lord of the Rings and then Hobbit. I wish I had read them in order. The Hobbit is pretty much recapped in the trilogy so I didn't enjoy it as much as I kinda knew what would happen.

I do think everything drags a bit in the trilogy but if you find things to do while listening, it's still very enjoyable even though you probably won't "skim."


message 35: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
This made the Top 10!


back to top