The Great American Read discussion

Pride and Prejudice
This topic is about Pride and Prejudice
Comments - other GAR Books > Pride and Prejudice

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marnie (new) - added it

Marnie (marniekeister)

Roseanne I love Jane Austen. I have read all of her books. I get that this is the most popular and that is why it is on the list but I dont think its her best book.

message 3: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I love this book (and Colin Firth will always be my Mr Darcy). But I do agree with Roseanne about it not being her best. I would suggest Persuasion or Northanger Abbey for that distinction.

message 4: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 21 comments Loretta wrote: "Pride and Prejudice is tied for being my all time favorite, along with Wuthering Heights.

I don't think it's on the list because it's her most popular book but because it i..."

Whether it is her best or not is subject to debate. It is definitely on the list because it is her most popular. The whole process was based on a report by "public opinion polling service “YouGov” to conduct a demographically and statistically representative survey asking Americans to name their most-loved novel."

Bonnie I was voting for it initially, but then realized it was really the movie versions I loved.

message 6: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
I had never been able to finish P&P in it's entirety. Then I had a college roommate who ate/slept/breathed P&P. After seeing all the TV/film adaptaions, I was finally able to read past page 100.

Heather (bruyere) Somehow I made it through an English literature degree without reading this author. So, about 10 years ago I decided to try her out and really liked her insight into social aspects of the period. I read almost all of the novels since then. This one always sticks out because I've seen the movies, but I like several others just as well.

message 8: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 17, 2018 01:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Kirsten wrote: "I love this book (and Colin Firth will always be my Mr Darcy). But I do agree with Roseanne about it not being her best. I would suggest Persuasion or Northanger Abbey for that distinction."

I often say that Persuasion is my favorite but I only read it once. I know Pride and Prejudice better, probably because the movie and miniseries were so good. I didn't like Northanger Abbey as much as the others, though I think it was a good mystery.

I didn't even know there was an unfinished book until I saw ads for the TV show about it.

message 9: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bonnie wrote: "I was voting for it initially, but then realized it was really the movie versions I loved."

I hope that's not the case with me, but I haven't read it in so long, I can't be 100% sure! I do love the movies and the mini-series. Even the 1940's version with the awful costumes.

I read Bridget Jones' Diary because of it's connection to P&P. And it was brilliant that they got Colin Firth to play Mark Darcy in the movie.

Heather (bruyere) Has anyone read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? I found it quite hilarious.

message 11: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bruyere wrote: "Has anyone read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? I found it quite hilarious."

No, but I think the movie is on cable, so I might watch it one day.

Bonnie Bruyere wrote: "Has anyone read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? I found it quite hilarious."

I enjoyed it when it first came on cable :)

Heather (bruyere) I haven't seen the movie yet, but it's on my list!

message 14: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
This made the Top 10!

message 15: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I found this interactive site that allows you to see Jane Austen's library.

http://www.readingwithausten.com/inde...

message 16: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bruyere wrote: "Has anyone read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? I found it quite hilarious."

Heather, based on your recommendation I just watched the movie. I don't really like horror, but we watched that Zombie tv show a few years back so now zombies are just funny to me.

I really enjoyed it! It was hysterical to see the Bennett girls brandishing weapons and slaying zombies. Very Buffy-esque. The best part was how they worked in the dialogue from the book. The fight scene with Darcy and Lizzie was quite unexpected, and therefore funny. I loved the angle with the George Wickham role, and Lady Catherine. I don't think I would have liked it if I didn't know the story, I wonder if this was popular as a date movie.

Heather (bruyere) Cool, so glad you watched it. The book was really funny. I haven't read Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters yet. Now I will definitely have to watch the movie!

message 18: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Nov 28, 2018 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bruyere wrote: "Cool, so glad you watched it. The book was really funny. I haven't read Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters yet. Now I will definitely have to watch the movie!"

I would want to reread Sense and Sensibility first, because I don't remember the dialogue. Based on my experience with PP and Zombies, the fun comes with the recognition of how they used the dialogue and characters of the book. I wouldn't want to miss the irony and twists.

Heather (bruyere) Very true. It has been about 7 years since I read all these novels.