The Great American Read discussion

The Sirens of Titan
This topic is about The Sirens of Titan
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Comments - other GAR Books > The Sirens of Titan

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marnie (new) - added it

Marnie (marniekeister)

message 2: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
My son and I decided to read a book together from the list. He narrowed it down to three and I picked this one. This doesn't appear to be the most commonly read of Vonnegut's books but it has many passionate fans and is said to cover his favorite themes.

message 3: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Hope your son enjoys it. I haven't read that one. But Vonnegut can be an acquired taste.

message 4: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kirsten wrote: "Hope your son enjoys it. I haven't read that one. But Vonnegut can be an acquired taste."

I know, and I'm prepared for that. I read a Vonnegut book in college, but I can't remember which one. He likes Hunter Thompson and Tom Robbins, who are authors that I couldn't get into.

It was fun going through the list with him. I knew he loved Lord of the Rings, The Hitchhiker's Guide, Dune, and childhood favorites - Tom Sawyer, Call of the Wild and Charlotte's Web. He also loved Heart of Darkness (one of the best books ever written,he said).

A few surprises... He really likes The Great Gatsby, and Wuthering Heights (but not Jane Eyre). He knew the difference between the Bronte sisters (I didn't). He liked most of the books he read in school, but definitely NOT A Separate Peace.

Rosemarie I think this is Vonnegut's weakest book, but it is his first, which is maybe why it was chosen.
I think his best two are Slaughterhouse Five and Cat's Cradle.

message 6: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosemarie wrote: "I think this is Vonnegut's weakest book, but it is his first, which is maybe why it was chosen.
I think his best two are Slaughterhouse Five and Cat's Cradle."

I would have expected to see Slaughterhouse Five! It would be interesting to know what kind of discussion took place to opt for this one instead. I wonder if there was some political or religious concern?

message 7: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda  | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Hope your son enjoys it. I haven't read that one. But Vonnegut can be an acquired taste."

I know, and I'm prepared for that. I read a Vonnegut book in college, but I can't remember..."

I also have bad memories of "A Separate Peace" from 10th grade.

Heather (bruyere) I didn't like Slaughterhouse Five even though I get why it is an important and interesting book. I actually really loved Sirens of Titan and found it really funny and entertaining.

message 9: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 68 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I think this is Vonnegut's weakest book, but it is his first, which is maybe why it was chosen.

Cat's Cradle is my favorite of the three I've read. I also loved Slaughterhouse Five. I just read this one and it was entertaining but not nearly as good as the other two for me

message 10: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bruyere wrote: "I didn't like Slaughterhouse Five even though I get why it is an important and interesting book. I actually really loved Sirens of Titan and found it really funny and entertaining."

I'm glad to hear that! He's reading another birthday present first, while I focus on two group reads, so we'll wait a few weeks.

message 11: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sue wrote: "Rosemarie wrote: "I think this is Vonnegut's weakest book, but it is his first, which is maybe why it was chosen.

Cat's Cradle is my..."

Great, if Iike this one, I might try Cat's Cradle next. [Now I'm going to be humming that song for a while.]

message 12: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 68 comments I enjoy Vonnegut's humor. I think I'd probably like all of his books

message 13: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
NancyJ wrote: "A few surprises... He really likes The Great Gatsby, and Wuthering Heights (but not Jane Eyre)."

This is me too!!!! I just read Sirens of Titan and enjoyed it. I've not read any other Vonnegut.

message 14: by Atl (new) - rated it 2 stars

Atl (dark_leo) I'm reading it now and frankly I find some of it shocking, like the execution. It kind of reminds me a little bit of clockwork orange. I wouldn't read it if my library wasn't doing a reading challenge for the great american read. Two more weeks to go.

message 15: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (last edited Oct 12, 2018 05:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
This was a group read ... Threads below to those discussions!

Spoiler-free thread here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Spoiler thread here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.