Stephen King Fans discussion

Talk about the Novels > Scariest SK novel

Comments Showing 1-50 of 277 (277 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Emil (new)

Emil | 25 comments So, what S. King novel scared you the most?

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul | 17 comments Without a doubt "IT" was the scariest book I have ever read. The Shining was a close 2nd.

message 3: by Troop (new)

Troop Leader IT! I shiver still when I think about it.
I would also like to add that SK has scary scenes that haunt me as well. I am currently reading Wolves of the Calla. I find myself thinking, 'They'll come out of Thunderclap and the sky will look like this."

message 4: by Emil (new)

Emil | 25 comments Yes!

message 5: by Aditya (new)

Aditya Pet Sematary, books never scare me but the bleakness rather than any supernatural creature in that book was unsettling.

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3977 comments 'Salem's Lot by far. I read it when I was very young, but it still frightens me today. I know vampires aren't real, but King's de-glammed versions are terrifying to me. What if...

message 7: by Emil (new)

Emil | 25 comments Kandice wrote: "'Salem's Lot by far. I read it when I was very young, but it still frightens me today. I know vampires aren't real, but King's de-glammed versions are terrifying to me. What if..."

That question helped King bring us some terrible nightmares, indeed.

message 8: by Emil (new)

Emil | 25 comments Callum wrote: "Pet Sematary scared me quite a bit, although that's not saying much as I once managed to have a nightmare about the film 'Shaun of the Dead'!! :)

But, I've always found the idea of things coming..."

SK admitted that that's his only book that crept him out while writing it, having kids and all...

message 9: by Nate (new)

Nate (the_enobee) | 80 comments Nice question! I have to go with 'Salems Lot on this one. Just completely unnerving most of the way through. I would rate Pet Semetary as number 2, though. There are some teeth-chattering sequences in that bad chicken. And they stand up to rereads as far as I'm concerned.

message 10: by Emil (new)

Emil | 25 comments Nate wrote: "Nice question! I have to go with 'Salems Lot on this one. Just completely unnerving most of the way through. I would rate Pet Semetary as number 2, though. There are some teeth-chattering seque..."

Agree, I've reread quite a few of his books. Thank you all for the comments.

message 11: by Donald (new)

Donald Scott (writeondon) 'Salem's Lot, definitely. Read it when it first came out, and still feel the same about it decades later.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) | 83 comments Tie between The Shining and Pet Sematary for me.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

For me it was definitely "The Shining". I put away the book for a few days after reading the bathroom scene. At that point I had gotten so much into reading it that I actually felt the woman's hands on my neck. Needless to say, it gave me nightmares.

message 14: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Arnold-wirick | 21 comments I would have to say Cujo just because it's about a dog and it could truly happen The Shinning a close seconf

message 16: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 224 comments The Shinning. The claustrophobic of the book is really creepy.

message 17: by Max (new)

Max (maxweldam) I read most of 'Salems lot by candlelight, which definitely added up to the horror factor, but nonetheless, it's the scariest SK for me

message 18: by Nate (last edited Jul 31, 2014 07:38AM) (new)

Nate (the_enobee) | 80 comments Max wrote: "I read most of 'Salems lot by candlelight, which definitely added up to the horror factor, but nonetheless, it's the scariest SK for me"

Nice! The only way that could be spookier is if the candle was burning in that old, abandoned house up on the hill :)

I love seeing the 'Salem's Lot representation. The two accompanying stories in Night Shift are also pretty fun. Had to look up the titles:

"Jerusalem's Lot" and "One for the Road"

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Out of the ones I have read so far, 'Salem's Lot, then It.

message 20: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3977 comments Carrie wrote: "I would have to say Cujo just because it's about a dog and it could truly happen The Shinning a close seconf"

I already said 'Salem's Lot but agree with Cujo as a close second. To this day I keep an "emergency box" in my car just in case I'm stuck in the boondocks with a rabid dog. Or any other emergency, but the dog thing first!

message 21: by Troop (new)

Troop Leader Might be a little off topic but I see that a lot of people have chosen Salem's Lot. That's so interesting to me. I liked that book but not as scary as IT for me. I do want to read The Shining and The Dark 1/2. A friend of mine told me that those were her favorite ones for the creep factor. Has anyone read those?

message 22: by Malina (new)

Malina | 304 comments It's a hard one I would say Salems Lot, The Shinning and I found Bag of Bones pretty scary as well.

message 23: by Nick (last edited Jul 31, 2014 08:08AM) (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3996 comments I think a lot of the scare has to do with your own personal experiences even if the story isn't that scary. I agree with Salam's Lot and The Shining. But the scariest part of a book for me was the opening chapter of Cujo. Not the part about the big dog, but the scene where the little boy is lying in bed and he knows that there IS a monster in his closet. And what a master King is here. Because the monster is the spirit of an executed murderer, and he comes right up to the little boy while he's in bed and says something like "I AM going to kill you." If you were a kid with a closet full of monsters (as I was) nothing could ever top that.

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3977 comments Troop wrote: "Might be a little off topic but I see that a lot of people have chosen Salem's Lot. That's so interesting to me. I liked that book but not as scary as IT for me. I do want to read The Shining and T..."

I think the majority of us have read every word the man has ever written! The Shining was scary to me, but The Dark Half was not.

message 25: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Arnold-wirick | 21 comments Troop I just reread The Shining after not reading it in over 20 years and I truly love it!

message 26: by Jennicem (new)

Jennicem | 7 comments From a Buick 8 really scared me. It was the way it was presented I think. I was expecting another Christine, but instead got this creepy other worldly experience that stuck with me long after the last page. And then of course The Shining. I always thought it was strange how most of the REALLY scary parts are not in the Kubrick movie.

message 27: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2106 comments For me, I thought It was rather scary.

message 28: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments For me it's been the shining. The woman in the bathtub!!

message 29: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Wilkins 'Salem's Lot is a terrific novel, but barring a few scenes, I didn't find it particularly frightening. I would say the same for It (which I think is an absolute masterpiece of modern literature).

For me, the scariest is Misery by far.

message 30: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3977 comments Jacob wrote: "'Salem's Lot is a terrific novel, but barring a few scenes, I didn't find it particularly frightening. I would say the same for It (which I think is an absolute masterpiece of modern literature).
..."

Misery, Cujo, Gerald's Game and a few others are scary in a different way for me because they really could happen. There is no supernatural mumbo jumbo (which I love), just real situations we could all find ourselves in.

message 31: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 3 comments Colton wrote: "For me it's been the shining. The woman in the bathtub!!"

Absolutely!

message 32: by Simon (new)

Simon  Grant | 12 comments pet semetary followed a close second by IT

message 33: by Amin (new)

Amin Ghali IT and the shining are definitely the scariest. I think the fact that I read them in my teens almost 20 years ago must have made them so memorable and scary to me. Also I remember one time I was reading "the library policeman" where the guy opens the door and meets the library policeman for the first time "pissing himself from horror actually" as I was reading that part, my dad barged in the room and I literarily jumped in the air. That is the scariest memory of my life that I can remember.

message 34: by Vykki (new)

Vykki (wikkimom) | 15 comments It was the scariest for me

message 35: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 220 comments I would say, The Shining and Salem's Lot, but there are so many I haven't read yet.

message 36: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan I agree with Simon for me the scariest are Pet Semetary and It. Salem's Lot is a really scary one as well. I guess different people will think different ones scare them.

message 37: by Jude (new)

Jude (judiferr) | 10 comments Amin wrote: "IT and the shining are definitely the scariest. I think the fact that I read them in my teens almost 20 years ago must have made them so memorable and scary to me. Also I remember one time I was re..."

I had the same experience while I was reading Pet Sematary actually lol... my dad came and stood in the doorway of the room while I was reading it late at night and all I saw was this figure in the door and I screamed.

I think the good thing about King's books is that one may be scarier to some people while it may not effect others at all because he almost plays with personal fears that someone may or may not have.

message 38: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3996 comments Callum wrote: "Jude wrote: "Amin wrote: "IT and the shining are definitely the scariest. I think the fact that I read them in my teens almost 20 years ago must have made them so memorable and scary to me. Also I ..."

I agree on Gerald's Game... the bad guy in that book seemed to me to be one of the scariest characters King ever created, partly because there was nothing supernatural about him, he could be real. The same goes for the husband in Rose Madder. The opening chapters of that book, where Rose is trying to get away from him, terrified me. King does violent husband's and fathers very well.

message 39: by Amin (new)

Amin Ghali I have to agree with you guys about Gerald game. I haven't thought about it for a long time. I think I read it 15 years ago or something, but I remember the parts where the main character was unsure if she's imagining the guy standing there or not. That was really scary the whole uncertainty. It actually happened to me before, waking up in a dark room And for a second not knowing if someone is standing there or not, mind playing tricks.
Another scary moment is the whole chapter "catatonic" in the shining. Also the part of the hedges. SK is the master of horror. No doubt.

message 40: by Leah (new)

Leah | 24 comments Cujo. It scared me, too. But Cujo by far scared me the most out of all his books.

message 41: by Lazaros (new)

Lazaros Karavasilis (lazaruskaravasilis) | 7 comments The Shining so far.

message 42: by Cory (new)

Cory Lawrence | 2 comments For me the scariest book was IT. The thoroughness that King goes through is what really got me. How Pennywise had been around for generations in Derry, how Mikes grandfather remembers seeing a form of Pennywise as a gigantic bird. It terrified to know the entire town had been living with this thing for years and never knowing the truth.

message 43: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3996 comments Cory wrote: "For me the scariest book was IT. The thoroughness that King goes through is what really got me. How Pennywise had been around for generations in Derry, how Mikes grandfather remembers seeing a form..."

I agree Corey. What is blowing me away this time through is that IT isn't really just a clown, it's every scary thing you can imagine from the mummy, to Rodan, to the witch in Hansel and Gretel and everywhere in between. Chapter 11 where the kids reunite as adults and then go on their walking tours of Derry and each encounters some version of pennywise is just drop dead terrifying, even when I'm driving around on a sunny sunday afternoon listening to the audiobook.

message 44: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marniek) | 14 comments I think the most scared I've ever been reasons an SK novel was in high school. I was

message 45: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marniek) | 14 comments What I tried saying before was I waitressed on the weekends in high school and I remember getting home after midnight one time while reading The Stand. To wind down and relax before falling asleep I would read but that time I must have been somewhere past the middle where things were really popping in the story. I remember reading until I couldn't keep my eyes open then putting the book down and turning out the light just to lay there wide awake. I even did my tried and true trick of putting a non-scary book on top of the SK book, you know, to keep the scary stuff from getting out, but still couldn't sleep. I ended reading until the sun came up because I was just too creeped out to sleep.

message 46: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3996 comments Marnie wrote: "What I tried saying before was I waitressed on the weekends in high school and I remember getting home after midnight one time while reading The Stand. To wind down and relax before falling asleep ..."

Great story. Thanks.

message 47: by Justice (new)

Justice  (HavenTierra) I think Misery was one of the scariest for me, though I doubt it was SK's scariest ever written, likely It takes that honor but I never read It. I found Misery so incredibly realistic. And I remember when I started that book, I had no notion what it was even about (hadn't even read the synopsis) so it caught me by surprise. Usually you have some idea what the book you start to read is about. I had no clue it would turn out to be one of my all-time FAVORITES. Boy I love that novel.

message 48: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3996 comments Justice wrote: "I think Misery was one of the scariest for me, though I doubt it was SK's scariest ever written, likely It takes that honor but I never read It. I found Misery so incredibly realistic. And I rememb..."

So you'd better read IT. Not just for the scares but for the characters. They are among King's best.

message 49: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Leoni | 180 comments I'm not saying it's the scariest.

But I just read 1922, the first novella of Full Dark no stars, and I found it terrifying.

I wasn't of course flat out scared. But it was actually creepy

message 50: by Justice (new)

Justice  (HavenTierra) Lol I know Nick, I really have to! I've seen the great movie of it as a kid and I own the book, I actually tried starting it last year but I made the mistake of buying It in mass-paperback so the story was so long but the book itself was so tiny (very small font), I struggled and eventually gave up with plans to buy another bigger edition. Anyhow, I'm certainly going to try getting around to it soon but currently I'm so raveled in this Game of Thrones series, not sure if you heard of it but it's awesome! Anyways thankyou Nick, we'll see because I'm almost done here with book 2 of Game of Thrones, as much as I'm loving it, I may take a break.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6