On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Wise Blood
This topic is about Wise Blood
Group Reads: Pre-1990 > Initial Impressions - Wise Blood. June 2018

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diane Barnes | 4420 comments Mod
Take this wild ride with Hazel Motes and start your discussion here. No spoilers please.

message 2: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 2282 comments Mod
I’m going to confess...no judgement but this will be my first by this author. Definitely getting to this one in June.

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 27 comments I enjoyed the book (and the John Huston adaptation). looking forward to reading folks' reactions.

message 4: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 3 stars

Flannery O'Connor land is no place for sissies, Laura. Cant wait to hear what you think. Ill be sitting this one out, since I read it a few years ago here on the Trail. Like Mark, I look forward to everyone's reactions.

message 5: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well The Trail has definitely helped me to be less “sissie”. Remember, I did breathe in the actual smoke from Donald Ray Pollock’s cigarette. Im making huge strides.

message 6: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have witnessed your evolution, Laura. Your "sissy" status no longer stands.

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 156 comments I love how O'Connor captures the speech of these characters. It took me a bit to realize that "theseyer" was an adjective in identifying particular objects. When I sounded out the work, I got it and recalled it. Never saw it spelled before.

Wyndy | 241 comments LOL - I'm the true sissy in this group! I've yet to read a single Pollock or Crews or Gay or Hannah, have only read 2 relatively tame McCarthy's, and have attempted and failed to finish three Faulkners and Paris Trout. But . . . having recently visited Flannery O'Connor's childhood home in Savannah, I WILL read Wise Blood with the group next month. I also have Scar Lover on my nightstand (which I found in a used bookstore for $6) since Ron Charles suggested that Crews sissies should start with this one :-)

message 9: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wyndy you have made me laugh out loud.

Dustincecil | 178 comments This one is tamer than "the violent bear it away" can't decide if I'll re read, just read this one last year- but it is pretty short...

message 11: by Sara (new) - rated it 1 star

Sara (phantomswife) | 1394 comments I'm in. I have it on my Kindle now. I am a true Georgia girl, no sissies allowed where I come from.

message 12: by Franky (last edited May 28, 2018 06:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Franky | 346 comments This was my first exposure to the work of Flannery O'Connor and it didn't disappoint. I had to read this for a Southern Lit course back in college and I instantly seeked out O'Connor's other works. I tend to like O'Connor's stories a little more than some of her fiction, but Wise Blood is definitely memorable--and a bit shocking. I'll try to reread this one.

Dustincecil | 178 comments e book and audio options available on hoopla and overdrive.

message 14: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Would I appreciate this book on audio?

Dustincecil | 178 comments I've read the book, seen the movie, and plan to do audio by the end of this week, I'll let you know. It's a pretty straight forward narrative, so audio should be a good option.

Jason (desiderio) | 38 comments I’m going to join the group and re-read this one. In the past, I ranked her stories and her other novel THE VIOLENT BEAR IT AWAY above this novel but still liked WISE BLOOD. Wondering if my opinion will change after this re-read....

message 17: by Sara (new) - rated it 1 star

Sara (phantomswife) | 1394 comments It is always nice to revisit them and see how they strike you at different times in life. This one is up next for me.

Dustincecil | 178 comments I guess I had forgotten that Hazel Motes came out of the army during my first read.

message 19: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

I’m late to this but started the audio today. I’m liking it and the reading is great. I’m half way through

message 20: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura, if your library has the movie, it's a great representation of of the novel, with perfect casting.

message 21: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

I jumped to final comments, if I like now will I like until the end?

message 22: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 3 stars

Well, it's strange, but hard to say. I don't think it's one anyone especially "likes".

Carol (carolfromnc) Laura wrote: "I jumped to final comments, if I like now will I like until the end?"

I venture to guess that most of our opinions on it didn’t change from page one to page ten to page two hundred. So if you like it now, I expect you’re a reader that will like it until and through the end.

Dustincecil | 178 comments too short to not finish...

message 25: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

The audio is really good. Weird characters and not sure who's on 1st all the time but I found it was entertaining driving home. I'm to the part where the man with one arm is looking under his new to him vehicle.

message 26: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

I’m finishing it....no question there. Dustin thanks for pushing me towards the audio. I’ll finish tomorrow hopefully.