On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

The Last Ballad
This topic is about The Last Ballad
Group Reads: Post-1990 > Initial Impressions - The Last Ballad. June 2018

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diane Barnes | 4420 comments Mod
Here's where to begin our discussion of Wiley Cash's third book, The Last Ballad. No spoilers please.

message 2: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diane Barnes | 4420 comments Mod
I just read this a couple of months ago for my "real life" book club, so I won't re-read, but will just follow the discussion. It is his third book, but my first taste of Wiley Cash.

message 3: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 2282 comments Mod
I finished this one as well a few weeks ago. Following along. I’ve read all of his and this one falls in the middle for me. Based on factual events.

Sara (phantomswife) | 1394 comments I am about 100 pages into it now. I will admit that I found the switch from 1920s to 2005 a bit jarring. I wasn't expecting it and didn't think it flowed well. We'll see.

Franky | 346 comments I'm starting this one pretty soon. Looking forward to it and the discussion.

message 6: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (last edited May 28, 2018 08:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Mathews | 2749 comments Mod
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this. It's my first exposure to Wiley Cash and I really enjoyed it. It was about a subject I knew very little about so I was both entertained and educated.

FYI: Here's a photograph of Ella May Wiggins, the subject of this story.

Connie G (connie_g) | 511 comments I read "The Last Ballad" for a library book club last month. It has a slow start, but picks up after a few chapters, so I'm glad I read the book. It really makes one realize the desperate plight of the poor workers and their families.

Connie G (connie_g) | 511 comments Ella May Wiggins was a singer who wrote songs for the labor movement. There is an interview on youtube from UNCA that features Wiley Cash, and Charles Frazier. Shannon Whitworth sings some of Ella May's songs too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgKJY...

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Wiley Cash (other topics)