YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Genres > YA - Dystopia

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) | 1942 comments Mod
Have you read a YA Dystopia book that you love? Looking for recommendations of Dystopia novels? Use this thread for all your YA Dystopia talk.

message 2: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Here are some of my favourite dystopia novels. I have loads of favourites but I've gone for some more unknown/newer ones.

Eve of Man by Giovanna Fletcher Eve is the first female to be born in 50 years. She is held in a secure facility away from the men. Now she has to choose which person will be her match so they can repopulate the human race. But should she do her duty or follow her heart?

The Belles (The Belles #1) by Dhonielle Clayton People are born ugly: with grey skin, straw like hair. All but the Belles. The Belles are an elite group of beautiful girls with the power to make others beautiful. But all is not as it seems in the world where the elite will pay and do anything to be beautiful.

The Power by Naomi Alderman Not really a YA book but OMG it's incredible. Women now have magical powers and for the first time feel what it's like to be the most powerful gender. But will they use their power to suppress the gender that has suppressed them for so long?

The Testing (The Testing, #1) by Joelle Charbonneau This is aimed at a younger audience. It's kind of like the hunger games but so much better in my opinion. I loved this series so much. Utterly fantastic.

message 3: by Bri (new)

Bri The Selection series by Kiera Cass are my favorite dystopian books so far! I really recommend this series to you all!

The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass

I also recently read the sequel Flawed by Cecelia Ahren. They were so good!

Flawed (Flawed, #1) by Cecelia Ahern

I also enjoyed the Matched series by Ally Condie!

Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie

message 4: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Great recommendations Brianna. I adored the Flawed series by Cecelia Ahern. Really liked the selection series too.

message 5: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 2328 comments Mod
Brianna wrote: "The Selection series by Kiera Cass are my favorite dystopian books so far! I really recommend this series to you all!

I also recently read the sequel Flawed by ..."

I really loved Matched! Unfortunately I have yet to finish the series lol

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments I really liked Matches too but haven’t finished! I may have the whole series on my shelf too! Why oh why do I do that??

message 7: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

heather wrote: "I really liked Matches too but haven’t finished! I may have the whole series on my shelf too! Why oh why do I do that??"

Girl, same. Maybe we can read the series together... one day! 😂 lol

message 8: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 4916 comments Mod
I liked Matched too but never continued with the series either!

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Brittany wrote: "I liked Matched too but never continued with the series either!"
Brittany, we could all read it together...some day:)
Liliana wrote: "heather wrote: "I really liked Matches too but haven’t finished! I may have the whole series on my shelf too! Why oh why do I do that??"

Girl, same. Maybe we can read the series together... one da..."

We could!!

message 10: by Brittany (new)

If you do I will try and find a copy of book 2.. and then attempt to remember what all happened in the first one

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Oh girl! I would have to read the first one over agin for I only remember that they get matched to each other and I think there is some sort of glitch when it’s her turn???

message 12: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

I literally read Matched 7 years ago so I would definitely have to read it again lol

message 13: by Zu. (new)

Zu. (maramadness) | 1 comments Despite having read many dystopias, because a few years ago editorials published too many, I can only recommend one trilogy: Legend by Marie Lu. It is practically the only story that filled and exceeds my expectations. Especially the last book. OMG, THAT FUCKING BOOK. I will never get over it.

message 14: by Brittany (new)

Yeah, I read it in 2012 and have since donated my copy so I would have to make it up as I went along and hope that enough came back to me to make it make some sense!

message 15: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) I can only think of one but I absolutely loved it!

Chameleon Moon by RoAnna Sylver The city of Parole is burning. Trapped inside is an entirely unlikely population of people with bizarre, beautiful, and terrifying abilities. When Regan, an anxiety-ridden hit man with the peeling skin of a lizard, meets Evelyn, a singer, revolutionary, and unofficial superhero, it’s up to them to get to the heart of the mystery of Parole and its quarantined inhabitants. Along with a diverse group of misfits, they will evade a deadly totalitarian police force, uncover the truth about their entwining pasts, and fight to survive a cataclysmic disaster.

It's a hopeful dystopian with amazing characters who love each other. An F/F/F relationship with a trans girl. An anxious asexual lizard. A non-binary person. Deals with mental health that I really related to.

message 16: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Anyone read any good YA Dystopia books lately? Let me know your thoughts.

I'm currently reading the Darkest Minds series and loving them. Just about to start book 3.

message 17: by alaska (new)

alaska (alaskaslibrary) A really underrated dystopia trilogy, if you ask me at least, is The Chemical Gardens Trilogy by Lauren DeStefano.

It’s set in a world where men die when they’re 25 and women when they’re twenty. Women are being kidnapped to marry men and become pregnant. (The man usually marries multiple women by the way.) We follow Rhine, who truly is such a great protagonist. I really recommend this trilogy if you want a good dystopia with a messed up world!

message 18: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I absolutely loved the chemical garden trilogy. I totally agree it’s really underrated. It’s one of my favourites.

message 19: by Lin (new)

Lin (bookishly_yours) | 13 comments Brianna wrote: "The Selection series by Kiera Cass are my favorite dystopian books so far! I really recommend this series to you all!

I also recently read the sequel Flawed by ..."

AH! The Selection! I think it was one of the first YA books I actually got into. Although it was quite long ago, I probably need a reread😂 Matched by Ally Condie was also AGES ago but i really liked it as well!

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "I absolutely loved the chemical garden trilogy. I totally agree it’s really underrated. It’s one of my favourites."

I have yet to read them even though I have the whole series???

message 21: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Heather you need to read them. They are so so good and well worth the read.

The Endless Bookshelf | 53 comments Hi everyone! My favorite YA dystopian books are The Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld, and the Matched trilogy by Ally Condie.

message 23: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

I read the first book in the Matched series a very long time ago, but I remember really enjoying it. I actually own the entire series, so I do plan on finishing it off eventually... I just don't know when 😂 Man, I'm so bad at finishing series 🙈

message 24: by Brittany (new)

I read the first one and really enjoyed it too Lili! But never continued.... I have the first of the Uglies series on my book shelf!