YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Genres > YA - Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) | 1942 comments Mod
Have you read a YA Fantasy book that you love? Looking for recommendations of Fantasy novels? Use this thread for all your YA Fantasy talk.

message 2: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

So I am just about to start The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert anyone read it?

message 3: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Here are some of my all time favourite fantasy books. This was hard for me as it's my fave genre and I've read so many.

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Originally started as a Cinderella retelling Throne of Glass follows Caleana, an assassin sent to the 'ball' to assassinate the prince.

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Originally started as a Beauty and the Beast retelling, ACOTAR follows Feyre who to save her family gives up her life to live with the evil Fae in the dangerous land beyond the wall.

Roar (Stormheart, #1) by Cora Carmack A phenomenal fantasy book that is about people who can get their power from the heart of storms. The princess leaves the castle and disguises her identity to go chase after the storms and loses her heart along the way.

Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1) by Elly Blake There are frostbloods and firebloods. There are no firebloods left... except for one. She has to keep her power hidden in order to survive. But what happens when she finds herself in the midst of all the frostbloods.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Ananya wrote: "I absolutely love the Throne Of Glass series. It is one of the best fantasy series I’ve ever read. I’d recommend the Harry Potter series which is the reason I got into fantasy, and the books are so..."

OH THE HORROR...and I am ashamed to admit this...but....I HAVE NEVER READ HP!!!!

message 5: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Heather, WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!?!?!?! HP IS LIFE!!!!! It's my favourite thing in the entire world. I mean I do have 2 HP tattoos.

message 6: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 2328 comments Mod
Ummm, I have also not read HP... *hides*

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Aw man! Sorry!! *cringes*

message 8: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

WHAT?!?! But it’s life!!! It’s seriously my age thing in the world. I’m re-reading them all as the illustrated editions come out. They’re just so beautiful!! I have 2 shelves on my wall dedicated to all my Harry Potter stuff. I’m obsessed.

I also went to see the play in London and it was so amazing!!

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan Heather you’re not alone in this! I’ve tried to read HP many times and can never seem to make it past chapter one of the first book.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Megan wrote: "Heather you’re not alone in this! I’ve tried to read HP many times and can never seem to make it past chapter one of the first book."

I have never tried, it just didn't look like something I would enjoy but I really should give it a go at some point, I wasn't interested in reading The Hunger Games either and loved them once I did.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Liliana wrote: "Ummm, I have also not read HP... *hides*"

Glad I am not the only one!!

message 12: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Please tell me you’ve at least seen the movies. It’s my fave thing of all time.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "Please tell me you’ve at least seen the movies. It’s my fave thing of all time."

ummmmm, do you really want me to answer that question???? I think not... *hides in the corner*

message 14: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

😱😱😱😱😱
WHAT?!?! Seriously how are we even friends??? 😜
You need to watch them!!!!

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "😱😱😱😱😱
WHAT?!?! Seriously how are we even friends??? 😜
You need to watch them!!!!"

I think that I would rather read the books first. They are usually better any way:)

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan I have watched some of the HP movies... they were all right. Maybe I will give the books another try.
I read the first LOTR book and a friend recommended against the other two; she said the second one was very boring. But I have all three of them so I could read them... maybe once grad school quiets down.

message 17: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Seriously I have so much love for Harry Potter. I think I was about 8 years old when I first read the first one. I've grown up with it so it will always have a special place on my heart. They will always be my favourite series. Without Harry Potter I probably wouldn't love reading.

message 18: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 4916 comments Mod
How have you people not read HP?!?!? I grew up with it too. The books are just so damn special. I'd love to see the play one day.

As for LOTR I read them although it was quite awhile ago (I read them when I was in grade 6 or so?). They are good books, great really, you just have to remember when they were written. They are long but worth it in my opinion. Try to read the Hobbit first.

message 19: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Britt,, so glad I’m not the only one who grew up with HP and adore it.

message 20: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

That's probably the thing, I didn't grow up with it. I grew up reading Fear Street by R.L. Stine (one of the catalysts of my love for horror). And then... idk, I just never picked it up. But I do love the idea of HP and I will read it one day. Just don't know when lol

message 21: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Honestly, I don't think you need to have grown up with it to love it. I know tonnes of people who have read it as adults and now adore it. It's a timeless classic story.

message 22: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Oh I know that for sure! I didn't grow up reading Percy Jackson, but I absolutely adore it now! I'm sure I'll love HP once I do read it cause I just love anything with magic in it!

message 23: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) I wanted to read Harry Potter growing up but I wasn't allowed to (religious reasons). I'm 29 most people my age grew up with Harry Potter but I was so sad that I wasn't allowed to be one of them, but I ended up being bitter and thinking when I was an adult and could do what I wanted, that I was too old for Harry Potter and it was "too little too late" until finally, at 26 in 2015 I wanted to rekindle my love of reading and said dang it i'm reading Harry Potter finally! So I did...and I loved it! I'm a proud Hufflepuff! And I learned there is no such thing as "too old" for Harry Potter (or any book! I still love Goosebumps for example!)

I loved Frostblood by Elly Blake! I read an e-arc of it before it came out but that's it. I have since gotten Frostblood in finished physical form and Fireblood and am just waiting for the last book (I think it's the last?) Nightblood to come out so I can re-read Frostblood and binge the series! I loved the MC and the world!

I've also loved Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury an Aladdin retelling with kick-butt females and told from the female Jinni's POV!

I've also enjoyed Sisters Red and Sweetly by Jackson Pearce, a little red riding hood and hansel and gretel retelling. They are part of a 4 book companion series. I do have Fathomless (little mermaid) and Cold Spell (Snow queen...which i've never even heard of) retellings.

The Beast of Callaire by Saruuh Kelsey Yasmin is a lesbian POC were-manticore with a bisexual love interest. There are Gods and war and good characters and <3 (and it's perma-free on kindle!). I still have to continue on with the series though.

The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand A Christmas Carol Retelling. Holly was visited by 3 ghosts who tried to help her mend her ways, she didn't, she died, and now she's working at top-secret company project scrooge as the latest ghost of christmas past who every year try to save another scrooge. Holly's afterlife has been miserable, stuck at 17, but this year that's about to change.

Ice Massacre my Tiana Warner An Island, Eriana Kwai, has been tortured by mermaids (aka sea demons) for years, with them killing their people. Every year they send guys out to kill as many as possible...every year hardly any return. This year they are sending girls (because the sirens lead men to their death via beauty yada yada).

Meela had lost her brother to them. She also made a mermaid friend when she was young, but stuff happened.

Complex characters, Lesbian mermaids, sweet f/f romance (that isn't a main point of the novel at all, it's a small part but still so swoon-worthy!), war...death...

message 24: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I adore the Frostblood series. One of my all time favourites. I can't wait for the final book. Roll on August for it to release.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Molder | 7 comments I honesty can't believe people still haven't read Harry Potter. It seems so amazing to me every time I hear that. For that reason I highly recommend the Harry Potter series. It is my all time favorite and the reason why I love reading.

Besides Harry Potter, I do also recommend Six of Crows and The Lunar Chronicles. Both are such good books.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Sarah wrote: "I honesty can't believe people still haven't read Harry Potter. It seems so amazing to me every time I hear that. For that reason I highly recommend the Harry Potter series. It is my all time favor..."

Gah Sarah! *I am currently cowering in the corner* I have yet to read HP. It just didn't ever seem like something that I would enjoy. I do plan on reading them at some point....and when that time comes...you all better look out because I will want to discuss discuss discuss!!! lol!

message 27: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Sarah, SAME!! It’s seriously the best

Heather, you should get the illustrated editions. They are just stunning. The artwork is incredible.

message 28: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

I think when I do get to HP I'm gonna go with the illustrated editions. Which reminds me, Percy Jackson is also getting an illustrated edition this August and I am super excited!

message 29: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

The illustrated editions are stunning. The artwork... there are no words. They are just incredible. I really admire the artist for his illustrations based on the description in the book rather than the actors in the movie. Due to how popular the movies are it must have been difficult to draw them different to how everyone now sees them.

message 30: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) Well now I have to get the illustrated editions! I didn't even bother to look them up before because I assumed the characters would be drawn like they are in the movies, and don't get me wrong the movies are great but Emma Watson looks nothing like book Hermione.

I just looked up pictures on google images and omg, why didn't I do this sooner?! They look great! I was worried for nothing. Still they aren't all out yet so i'm going to impatiently wait for them all to be released.

message 31: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

They really are incredible.

I just finished reading YA Fantasy State of Sorrow by Melinda Salisbury and I am really disappointed. I love Melinda's other series but this one just wasn't for me. Far too much focus on the political aspects of the world and I just found myself a bit bored :(

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "They really are incredible.

I just finished reading YA Fantasy State of Sorrow by Melinda Salisbury and I am really disappointed. I love Melinda's other series but this one just wasn't for me. Far..."

shoot, I was hoping that you would like it. I did not finish her other series, I only read book one but I really enjoyed it!

message 33: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I loved the other series Heather and honestly I will probably still read the next book when it comes out. It was just very political and as I’m not a very big politics person it just made it a bit too slow for me.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "I loved the other series Heather and honestly I will probably still read the next book when it comes out. It was just very political and as I’m not a very big politics person it just made it a bit ..."

I am not political whatsoever so it would probably be the same for me too.

message 35: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Anyone been reading any good fantasy books lately?

My most recent fantasy reads were Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) by Sarah J. Maas and Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard and I really enjoyed them both.

I shall be reading Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas soon too.

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Pudsey | 19 comments To the folks who haven't read HP yet.... when I read the first book I felt a bit put off. It was a children's been after all and the writing was quite simple. However, the style, writing, and creativity gets much better from book 3 onwards. If the first book is making you uninterested, watch that movie and skip the book for now. Start one of the later ones :)

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Rachel wrote: "To the folks who haven't read HP yet.... when I read the first book I felt a bit put off. It was a children's been after all and the writing was quite simple. However, the style, writing, and creat..."

Great Advice for those of us that have not read...*whistling and trying to look nonchalant*

message 38: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

And me as a HP superfan am like WHAT DO YOU MEAN SKIP BOOKS?!?! LOL.
I love them so much, even the early ones. The third one is my favourite though.

message 39: by Brittany (new)

Third one is my fave too!! The first movie at least works as a semi-decent substitute for the book and if that works to get people into reading them then I'm okay with that.

message 40: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

That is true. I'm just a total loyalist when it comes to HP lol

message 41: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Infante | 5 comments The illustrated HP books are amazing! I also picked up the illustrated version of Fantastic Beasts and it’s so much fun. There are so many magical creatures that aren’t touched on in the books. As for other fantasy books, I just finished The Cruel Prince and I loved it.

message 42: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Marcia, YES!! The illustrated editions are beautiful. Such a stunning work of art. I haven’t got the Fantastic Beasts one so I’ll definitely need to pick that one up.

Hurrikan Kathrina  (hurrikankathrina) | 10 comments Hey everyone! I'm Hurrikan Kathrina, new in this group and just thought I'd pipe in here although I'm not sure this thread is still active ;)
But I couldn't help but stress that HP IS DEFINITELY LIFE!!! And I'm also currently rereading the series with the illustrated editions and they're just... asdflajwkejrlk so beautiful!
It honestly makes me so happy that these editions exist!

What houses are you guys? I'm a Griffindor (Pottermore confirmed :D) and proud! :)

Also, coming back to the topic of the thread, other YA High Fantasy books that I highly recommend are

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor
This is not an insider recommendation as it's fairly popular, but man, Laini Taylor is such a fantastic author that creates really rich, wonderful, twisted fantasy worlds and she's one of the few that really make purple pose read great!

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1) by Marie Rutkoski
Again, amazing writing and I love the characters

Uprooted by Naomi Novik
Uprooted by Naomi Novik
This is a standalone high-fantasy book and Naomi Novik tells such a magical, creepy, dark fairy-tale like story in this one book... it's amazing!

And of course Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo and The Grisha Trilogy (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1-3) by Leigh Bardugo also very well known series, but really worth the read.

message 44: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Hi Kathrina,
The threads are definitely still active. I've a very proud Ravenclaw over here.

Fantasy is my alltime favourite genre but I'm afraid some of your favourites I didn't finish *hides*. I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone but couldn't get through the second book unfortunately.

I do have Six of Crows on my shelf to read. I loved Grisha trilogy so I definitely need to get on that one soon.

Hurrikan Kathrina  (hurrikankathrina) | 10 comments Ah that's okay, everyone has different taste!

I'm surprised that you didn't like the second book of the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series. I thought it was the best in the series and the story really picked up in the second one! It's the book that made me really love the series!

Six of Crows is a nice duology, though I didn't love it as much as almost everyone else that I've heard of. But it's still a very good series and if you enjoyed the Grisha trilogy, you're definitely going to enjoy that one as well! I just found a few things a bit forced, but again, that's my personal opinion and it didn't diminish the entertainment value of the book!

message 46: by Brittany (new)

I'm a Ravenclaw! Will forever love HP.

I've read none of your other favourites except the Grisha trilogy. I did read Spinning Silver, Naomi Novik's other fairy tale style book and didn't love it. I do enjoy her Temeraire series though, have you tried it?

Hurrikan Kathrina  (hurrikankathrina) | 10 comments Brittany wrote: "I'm a Ravenclaw! Will forever love HP.

I've read none of your other favourites except the Grisha trilogy. I did read Spinning Silver, Naomi Novik's other fairy tale style book and didn't love it. ..."

I did read Spinning Silver as well, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Uprooted. Uprooted progresses much faster than Spinning Silver, which at times felt like I had to force myself to keep reading. Uprooted was definitely a page-turner for me, so maybe you'll enjoy that one more?

I always planned on getting into the Temeraire series, but I never actually picked it up, shame on me.

The Endless Bookshelf | 53 comments One YA fantasy series I really loved is the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard. One book I loved as well is The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher.

message 49: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I really liked Red Queen. I haven't read past book 1 yet though.

The Endless Bookshelf | 53 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "I really liked Red Queen. I haven't read past book 1 yet though."

Hello Kayleigh!

I recommend that you read the rest of the series!

« previous 1