THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Book Giveaways

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gary (last edited May 28, 2018 05:41PM) (new)

Gary Hage (garyahage) | 33 comments I was considering setting up a book giveaway to help launch my latest work, a non fiction book about local history and historical buildings in south Florida. I already have a giveaway currently going on Amazon, that started a week ago. There was no charge (fee) to do so, and I only had to pay for the ebooks that I've offered as prizes. But when I began to set one up here on Goodreads, I quickly learned that there is a minimum fee of $119.00 to do the same. Can anyone explain what the difference is in the two giveaway programs and why one charges a fee, and the other does not? I'm just curious what the money is for and where it goes, other than Goodreads just being the vehicle to list the giveaway. I do understand that someone is having to run the contest, pick the winner(s), and then notify the author as to whom to send the prizes (book(s) to after the contest closes. What else is involved in running a book giveaway on Goodreads? Thanks

message 2: by Steven (new)

Steven (goodreadscomstevenkerry) | 138 comments Gary wrote: "I was considering setting up a book giveaway to help launch my latest work, a non fiction book about local history and historical buildings in south Florida. I already have a giveaway currently goi..."

Is that new? I did not pay $99 for either of my giveaways. Got a few reviews out of the deal but otherwise not overly impressed with the results after purchasing 10 copies of my book. etc. Your book may fare better as it is non-fiction.

message 3: by Gary (last edited May 28, 2018 02:14PM) (new)

Gary Hage (garyahage) | 33 comments When I clicked on the page button that takes you to where you are supposed to be able to set up your giveaway, it keeps taking me to a page that offers giveaway packages starting at $119.00 Now I will be the first to admit that I am extremely computer stupid when it comes to scooting around many of the different websites, including this one, so it may just be simply something I'm doing wrong. I was always under the impression that to hold a book giveaway on Goodreads was free, with the exception of the cost of the book prizes and the shipping cost to send them to the winners.

message 4: by Caven (new)

Caven Tootell Gary wrote: "I was considering setting up a book giveaway to help launch my latest work, a non fiction book about local history and historical buildings in south Florida. I already have a giveaway currently goi..."

Gary - I also ran a Goodreads Giveaway - for 100 copies of my ebook - at no cost. Think you may have clicked through to a paid "premium" service?

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary Hage (garyahage) | 33 comments I just went back to the book's page here on Goodreads to double check myself. What I'm doing is clicking the "List a giveaway" button located underneath the "Author Tools" listing in the upper right of the page. That's what keeps taking me to the "paid" giveaway offer. Should I be setting it up through a different page or button? Would really like to try this with my new book, even though I've heard some negative comments regarding doing a book giveaway here.

message 6: by rivka (new)

rivka Please see this announcement: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Gary (new)

Gary Hage (garyahage) | 33 comments OK, so based upon the above mentioned link, I'm not crazy or computer stupid. LOL According to the link, as of January, 2018 book giveaways are no longer free, so I have to wonder if the number of new giveaways since the start of this new program has declined, stayed about average, or increased? Since my book targets a much smaller niche market, I'm not sure now if this would really be the best way for me to go in marketing the book verses paid ads in newspapers, magazines, etc that cater to the subject my book is mainly about. Going to have to think about my strategy for a bit.

message 8: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Olla | 2 comments Hi All, hope you are well and you could help me with a question about the Giveaway program. I read that there is a possibility of running up to 100 books giveaway but I am not clear if I can do that in different tranches. Let's say I do a giveaway for 10 books in September, 10 in December, 10 in February etc... until I achieve 100. Anyone has any view on this? Thank you very much in advance for your help! Silvia

message 9: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn (jaclyn_w) | 417 comments Hi Silvia. The 100 book limit is per giveaway and cannot be split over different months. Please let me know if you have any further questions – I'd be happy to help!

message 10: by Donahue (new)

Donahue Silvis (katiedon36) | 26 comments Is the book giveaway for eBooks or hard cover?

message 11: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Olla | 2 comments Hi! Thank you so much for your prompt answers! All clear then on the givaways program!

message 12: by Cai (new)

Cai (caiqs) Donahue wrote: "Is the book giveaway for eBooks or hard cover?"

Hey Donahue, we offer the option to host giveaways for both paperback and Kindle books. Let me know if you have any further questions - I'd be happy to help!