What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Florence & Giles
This topic is about Florence & Giles
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fiction - In the 1900s, young girl and brother go live w/ relatives. Creepy nanny/teacher arrives, plans to secretly take the brother away. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mari (last edited May 28, 2018 01:48PM) (new) - added it

Mari | 4 comments Hi everyone!
Im looking for this book I read about 7 years ago (2010/2011). Its set maybe in the early 1900s in the UK, and its about this girl and her younger brother who go live with some relatives in a big country house.
The brother goes to school far away (a boarding school maybe), but eventually comes back and a nanny/teacher arrives to take care of the sibilings. The girl is very scared of her (and keeps "seeing" her eyes in the mirrors), and finds out she plans to "steal" the brother and take him away.
She spies the nanny and sees her singing to her brother late at night, and finds a suitcase with train/boat tickets.
She eventually pushes the nanny in a well, and she (the nanny) dies. The girl also had a close friend, a boy who liked her, and he has an asthma (i think) attack and falls in the snow; instead of helping him, the girl leaves him there and he dies.
The story is told from the girl's point of view.
If anyone has ANY clue to what book this may be, please comment! Ive been looking for it for the longest time.

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments Maybe Florence & Giles by John Harding?

message 3: by Mari (new) - added it

Mari | 4 comments I THINK IT IS THANK YOU SO MUCH

message 4: by Mari (new) - added it

Mari | 4 comments really Holly you are amazing, Ive been looking for this for so long!! I cant thank you enough

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments Mari wrote: "really Holly you are amazing, Ive been looking for this for so long!! I cant thank you enough"

You're welcome! Glad I could help!

Btw, there's a sequel to that book too, called The Girl Who Couldn't Read.