Smashwords Authors discussion

Boudicca: Britain's Queen of the Iceni
This topic is about Boudicca
Author of the Month > August 2014: Laurel Rockefeller

Comments Showing 1-50 of 108 (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new) - rated it 5 stars

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Hi, I am putting this up a day or so early as I might have forgotten recently....

Ubi is up until the end of the July.

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Boudicca Britain's Queen of the Iceni by Laurel A. Rockefeller Thanks, Alex. This is the paperback edition here which has the most current cover.

I am actually notorious for changing my book covers in response to reader feedback. So this is the THIRD cover for Boudicca which came out in the Kindle Store in mid-March as part of Women's History Month (USA). For those reading this early -- Boudicca is FREE on Smashwords on through July 31st. https://www.smashwords.com/books/view... is the link to that for anyone wanting to grab it for free.

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Looks like a good read, so I grabbed a copy. Then I noticed there was another book in the series, so I grabbed that one too! I'll read them soon.

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Victoria wrote: "Looks like a good read, so I grabbed a copy. Then I noticed there was another book in the series, so I grabbed that one too! I'll read them soon."

Thank you so much, Victoria! I write TWO BOOK SERIES with two flash fiction permafree on SmashWords. Except for The Great Succession Crisis (Peers of Beinan, #1) by Laurel A. Rockefeller and The Ghosts of the Past (The Peers of Beinan, #2) by Laurel A. Rockefeller digital editions, ALL of my books are free through midnight tonight on SmashWords! So please feel free to download away.

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/vi...

I have a total of TEN TITLES between the two series and the independent short story (western), "A New Start On the Niobrara for Mr. and Mrs. O'Malley." This later story is based on the real experiences of Irish immigrants to northeast Nebraska.

I was born and raised in Lincoln, Nebraska USA, so it's a little nudge to my home state -- and my Irish heritage on my mother's side. :)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments I did also grab your short story. I didn't grab the other series though. Maybe I will some time in the future, but I haven't for now.

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Hello everyone and welcome to AUGUST!

I don't know if I am free to start other discussions (nor where), so I'll just continue on this thread until given further guidance.

As I mentioned last night, I have TEN TITLES that I hope you will check out. Two of them are permafree:

The First King by Laurel A. Rockefeller https://www.smashwords.com/books/view... A New Start in the Niobrara for Mr. and Mrs. O'Malley by Laurel A. Rockefeller
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

These are both flash fiction stories and easily read in a few minutes, so I hope everyone will download them and please kindly leave your reviews here on GoodReads and of course on SmashWords!

With the exception of the two novels "The Great Succession Crisis" and "The Ghosts of the Past" and their companion books, the rest of my books are only 99 cents/75 pence.

This makes them very accessible!

But don't let the shortness of these works fool you: I am notorious for my meticulous research. I am both amateur astronomer and amateur historian who cares deeply about getting my details RIGHT.

I consider Boudicca and Catherine more dramatized history than historical fiction. Both books have bibliographies to them. Catherine has a detailed timeline that transforms the complexities of 15th century England, Wales, and France into literal child's play. Boudicca has a very nice companion study guide focusing on geography, reading comprehension, and critical thinking skills.

I'm told by my audio book narrator (the very gifted Mr. Richard Mann) that my books are extremely easy to read aloud -- so these make perfect family reading and story time for children.

Mr. Mann and I expect to release Boudicca on audible and itunes by the end of the month or mid-September at the latest. You can hear a sample from chapter three at http://www.legendarywomenbooks.com/Bo...

thank you everyone for letting me serve as author of the month!

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Hi-ya, Laurel,
if you'd like to be interviewed on my blog or would like to do a character interview or two, just PM me your email here on Goodreads and I'll send you the questions! Then you can share them on here and anywhere social you like to dwell!
Best
Barb

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Barbara wrote: "Hi-ya, Laurel,
if you'd like to be interviewed on my blog or would like to do a character interview or two, just PM me your email here on Goodreads and I'll send you the questions! Then you can sh..."

That would be great! My email is peersofbeinan@gmail.com. Happy to answer anything you or anyone else likes!

A post on your blog would be LOVELY.

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Okay, this is very cool! A blog just picked up one of the songs from The Ghosts of the Past (Peers of Beinan, #2) by Laurel A. Rockefeller http://earlharrisphotography.wordpres...

Enjoy!

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments I read "A New Start In The Niobrara For Mr. And Mrs. O'Malley" and posted a review both on Goodrads and on Smashwords.

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments You said "A New Start In The Niobrara For Mr. And Mrs. O'Malley" was inspired by the immigration of your own family. What inspired you to write your other books?

message 12: by Laurel (last edited Aug 06, 2014 06:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Victoria wrote: "I read "A New Start In The Niobrara For Mr. And Mrs. O'Malley" and posted a review both on Goodrads and on Smashwords."

Thanks, Victoria! That is actually my first review posted to SmashWords. ♥
Amazon of course still lists it at 99 cents, so I would greatly appreciate folks here PLEASE TELL AMAZON it is a free book! The Amazon link for A New Start is http://www.amazon.com/New-Start-Niobr... or http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Start-Nio... for the UK site and the Smashwords link to it is https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Victoria wrote: "You said "A New Start In The Niobrara For Mr. And Mrs. O'Malley" was inspired by the immigration of your own family. What inspired you to write your other books?"

Wow, hard question since I have three series and a total of TEN titles (excluding the out-of-print original edition of The Great Succession Crisis; extended edition replaces it).

With your permission I would like to answer that on a series by series basis -- A New Start is now book one of "American Stories."

The first series I started writing is The Peers of Beinan. It was originally supposed to be a single FAN FICTION BOOK telling the back story to the 1983 series Benji, Zax, and the Alien Prince (I still have the best and most extensive fan site to that series http://www.princeyubifan.com/). But about twenty pages into it I realized I had something totally different than the BZAP series cannon and, quite frankly, I was concerned about the legal issues of doing fan fiction. So I changed all the names (you can get a sample of that struggle to find the right names in the draft presented in Lost Tales of the Anlei's Legacy Trilogy by Laurel A. Rockefeller and allowed myself to write the stories I wanted to write.

There are now two novels (The Great Succession Crisis and The Ghosts of the Past), a flash fiction (The First King; permafree on Smashwords), and two novellas (Good-bye A672E92 Quintus and The Poisoned Ground), and two companion books -- the Lost Tales and The Complete Data Files.

I can go into the back story on each of the Peers of Beinan Series books and the PoB universe as a whole if anyone likes.

Okay, so that is the original book series. Then this March I started The Legendary Women of World History Series from which I completed the first character interview for your blog.

LWWH came about when I discovered, as part of Women's History Month in the USA, that more than 95% of Americans can name fewer than 10 women from world history -- and that includes Britain's Queen Elizabeth II!

My university education is in writing, psychology (I was pre-counseling), and medieval history. History is a great passion of mine -- enough to merit 24 years as a medieval history re-enactor in the SCA. So I decided to do something about this problem and write short biographies suitable for a general audience age 5+ of inspiring women in history using the same meticulous research and attention to detail that I use for my world building in The Peers of Beinan Universe.

In late March I released Boudicca Britain's Queen of the Iceni by Laurel A. Rockefeller as both a paperback and kindle edition and quickly found it #1 on Amazon (that fluctuates hourly; it only takes about two sales in a day to bring it from #35 to #1 -- and adding it to your amazon wishlist will propel it much higher -- so please do so! http://viewBook.at/Boudiccakindle).

I am proud to announce that earlier this week my audio book narrator, Mr. Richard Mann of Bedford, Bedfordshire, UK finished recording it and is now in post-production. So by the end of this month, it will be live on amazon, itunes, and audible.

I think I started with Boudicca precisely because I am part Irish. I've always loved Celtic culture and society and early Britain is so interesting. I'm a fan of the late Marion Zimmer Bradley who of course refers to Boudicca's story in her Avalon Series. There is a LOT of very detailed social science research in the Boudicca novella, much of it reported from the BBC.

Many people ask about Boudicca's alleged burial without realizing the cremation was the main practice up until about the 7th-10th centuries when the Church gained more control over Europe. Another reason Boudicca was cremated was to protect her body from Roman malice.

The second LWWH Series book out now is Catherine de Valois Catherine de Valois. Catherine was Shakespeare's "Kate" from his play Henry V. I'm a huge Shakespeare fan, so it was a lot of fun sorting out the real story. The 15th century was a chaotic time for both Britain and France, so the book has a timeline to help you explore the period better. I am a skilled researcher, but I confess I found tracking events quite challenging.

You would never guess that from the book, however. Like watching Olympic figure skating, I make it look EASY! ♥ It's a lot of fun and I really hope that Mr. Mann decides to narrate it this autumn. Now I know his skills, I've included some period music to that book which I expect Mr. Mann to sing into the audio edition.

Finally we get to American Stories. It starts with "A New Start" which was written when someone told me I couldn't write western genre. I was also capped at 800 words -- which is why it sounds like just the start of a larger story. But I think it would make a great illustrated book for kids once I'm ready to take the plunge into that big world.

About a week ago, it occurred to me to add to this and make it a series exploring American history. LWWH is specifically women's biographies -- which is wonderful but sometimes corsets my narratives a little. American Stories is essentially anything I want from American history. It is more fictional than LWWH which hits the middle ground between fiction and non-fiction. American Stories, however doesn't bind me to just the facts; I can make up characters rather than simply naming people who existed but whose names are lost to history.

The American Story in progress right now is tentatively called "Charlotte's Vote" and focuses on Charlotte Woodward Pierce, the only attendee at the 1848 Convention at Seneca Falls and signer of the Declaration of Sentiments to actually live to see the first ballots by women cast in 1920. Sadly at 91, Charlotte never got to cast her own ballot. I expect it to be a very informative story.

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Laurel wrote: "Victoria wrote: "I read "A New Start In The Niobrara For Mr. And Mrs. O'Malley" and posted a review both on Goodrads and on Smashwords."

Thanks, Victoria! That is actually my first review posted..."

You're welcome! :)

Good luck with getting Amazon to understand about the free book. While I was still publishing with them I tried to get them to understand that "Frank The Friendly Ogre" was meant to be free. They replied by telling me I shouldn't expect things for free just because I wanted them to be. I tried to explain that I was the author and it wasn't that I wanted a free copy but that I wanted my book - which is free everywhere else - to be free for people on Amazon too. In the end I gave up.

Anyway, I've also now reviewed the other two books of yours I grabbed copies of. Once again, both on Smashwords and Goodreads.

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Laurel wrote: "Victoria wrote: "You said "A New Start In The Niobrara For Mr. And Mrs. O'Malley" was inspired by the immigration of your own family. What inspired you to write your other books?"

Wow, hard quest..."

Thanks for the really detailed answer!

For the record, I didn't mind you dealing with the question series by series. In fact, I think it probably allowed you to answer the question better, and wasn't surprised you felt it easier to answer that way.

It's surprising how few people actually know much about history. Awful as it sounds, people here in the UK know even less than those in America seem to... About our own history too! I have an interest in history myself, so was quite eager to read your books about women in history. They were excellent, by the way (but you'll know I think that if you've read my reviews of them). I'm hoping there will be more?

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Victoria wrote: "Laurel wrote: "Victoria wrote: "You said "A New Start In The Niobrara For Mr. And Mrs. O'Malley" was inspired by the immigration of your own family. What inspired you to write your other books?"

..."

LWWH goes to China with Empress Wu. Then for the fourth, I want to do "Journey to Gloriana, 1570-1590" about Queen Elizabeth I. One reason for switching them: National Portrait Gallery in London wants, kid you not, £214 to license a portrait of QE1 I don't even really like -- for no more than 3000 copies before they want more money!

So I need to find a really great artist who can draw a nice variation on one of her Gloriana portraits before I can get going on that one.

I also want to do Anglo-Saxon Queen Matilda (wife of Henry I and mother to Henry II) and Margaret Beaufort, the wife/widow of Edmund Tudor we meet in the prologue/epilogue of Catherine de Valois.

I am sure you noticed I do two story arcs in each book -- the prologue/epilogue which sets up the main biography, and of course the main biography.

For Empress Wu, I attack the Unequal Treaties and the British Empire. Considering my plans to apply for permanent residency in England as soon as I qualify via book sales -- and some letters of recommendation from esteemed writers/artists/actors -- I was really nervous doing that.

But I think you are showing the wisdom of that choice. With Empress Wu, Captain Timothy James Mann of Colchester comes to the rescue of Hua-Lin (no family name; she's Manchu) in Beijing after several junior officers harass her as she tries to walk home -- the problem being that the British Concession lies between her and her home.

And yes, you will like that making Captain Mann from Colchester (Camulodunum) lets me integrate the Boudicca story into it exactly 1800 years after Boudicca's defeat! :)

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Victoria, if I may impose -- would you mind leaving those same reviews you put on SmashWords onto the Amazon listings as well?

http://tinyurl.com/UKBoudicca for Boudicca and http://tinyurl.com/UKCatherine1401 for Catherine

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Laurel wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Laurel wrote: "Victoria wrote: "You said "A New Start In The Niobrara For Mr. And Mrs. O'Malley" was inspired by the immigration of your own family. What inspired you to write you..."

Awesome! :)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Laurel wrote: "Victoria, if I may impose -- would you mind leaving those same reviews you put on SmashWords onto the Amazon listings as well?

http://tinyurl.com/UKBoudicca for Boudicca and http://tinyurl.com/U..."

Ugh! I hate doing Amazon reviews! Their site isn't easy to navigate, and their new review form is ridiculous! But I like to help out when I can, so I'll see what I can do. No way I can deal with it tonight; I'm too tired. I'll try to get it to co-operate after my next sleep, when I won't be so tired and will therefore have the patience to deal with it.

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Victoria, do I understand that you also suffer from significant sight loss?

I lost most of my sight just days before my 14th birthday when a car hit me as I was crossing the street on my way home from school. Traumatic brain injury. No one in my life noticed -- or cared. It wasn't under third year of university and thanks to my psychology major that it was finally discovered and i received audio textbooks from that point onward. It created a real peeve about audio narrators. I tried to listen to "Crown/Monarchy" by Dr. David Starkey -- but his narrator was so bad, I couldn't understand "Trinovante" when discussing 1st century common era Britain.

my narrator, Mr. Richard Mann, has a clearer voice and a much more precise, refined way of speaking.

message 21: by Victoria (last edited Aug 06, 2014 09:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments You got it! I'm actually completely blind. Artificial eyes and everything. I have Congenital Glaucoma (and it is correct to say "have" even though it's an eye condition and I don't have real eyes any more; I asked) so we always knew I'd lose my sight eventually, since the damage you can avoid if you catch Glaucoma quickly enough was done while I was developing in the womb, and it was too late to fix it by the time I was born. Anyway, I lost the sight in my left eye some time in childhood... Nobody's entirely sure when, since the right eye worked enough that I could compensate for it at that point, but I had the left eye out shortly before I turned 16, and I know for a fact that the sight was gone in the eye before I hit my teens. I was almost 23 when I lost the sight in my right eye, and had to have that eye out a few months before I turned 24. If you're wondering, I had the eyes out because I've always been photophobic (had an intollerence for bright light) but when the sight went in the eyes it got worse, so that any light at all had me screaming in pain. It was worse with the right eye, perhaps because the sight loss in my left had been more gradual, where as the sight loss in my right was quite quick? *Shrugs* Either way, that's what happened.

I'd love to have my books available as audiobooks, but I'm not sure how to go about it, and bet it costs a fair bit too?

Anyway, I've had my nap, and just sorted the reviews for you like I said I would.

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Victoria wrote: "You got it! I'm actually completely blind. Artificial eyes and everything. I have Congenital Glaucoma (and it is correct to say "have" even though it's an eye condition and I don't have real eyes..."

Thanks for posting the Amazon reviews. Made a huge difference; my ranking on UK amazon surged right away, especially on Boudicca.

I've had folks in the USA's National Federation for the Blind tell me that the instability in my sight would drive them crazy. This is one reason I don't usually read much unless it is research for my books. I can be fine with the blurriness one minute and then lose all focus in my eyes for several minutes to an hour the next. This can be dangerous because I can get cocky and not use my white cane thinking everything is fine and I can navigate without it -- until I don't have it with me and I start walking into walls.

Breaking my nose and two separate toes on a total of three occasions in five months in 2010 taught me to get a cane -- even without training -- and always have it. I've since received training and a roller ball cane. But still will fold it up and not use it as much as I should. And yes, I still have bumps and bruises over that bad habit.

As for the audio, in my sleep I received an inspiration to write some blog posts about ACX. On my first attempt to do audio, I was burned by the fine print and still have a mess on my hands from that. This is fine print that is in the contract, but not mentioned in the FAQs (typical for Amazon). What is worse, I ended up in my mess on the advice of one of their telephone representatives -- who conveniently did not know about or mention the part of the contract that said not to do what she said to do.

I will post that blog link once I finish writing. It's 8 am EDT right now and still having coffee while tracking cockatiels.

message 23: by Victoria (last edited Aug 07, 2014 07:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments You're welcome about the reviews; I'm glad they helped!

I can't say I'm surprised about the fine print issues with Amazon.

Actually, I can't say I'm surprised about the cane thing either; I fought use of the cane as long as I could. Since I lost the last of my sight my feelings have changed though, and now I cling to it like a child clings to a security blanket!

message 24: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new) - rated it 5 stars

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Victoria - if you choose royalty share on ACX there is no up front cost. I agree with Laurel, make sure you understand the fine print and pick your narrator carefully.

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Thanks for the info. I'll bear it in mind. :)

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments A.L. wrote: "Victoria - if you choose royalty share on ACX there is no up front cost. I agree with Laurel, make sure you understand the fine print and pick your narrator carefully."

I haven't blogged about this yet -- can't cover everything in one day -- but the royalty share is a problem if you approve the first 15 minutes and don't like the result after you approve it. This is previewing a future post, but essentially you are on the hook for over $500 USD and upwards to $2000 USA if you approve the first 15 minutes on a royalty share and decide to NOT publish the final work.

This is all in the fine print -- but it's damn difficult to understand or even find that detail in it.

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Laurel wrote: "Here are the three blog posts about audio production I wrote today:

http://peersofbeinan.wordpress.com/20...

http://peersofbeinan.wordpress.com/20......"

Thanks for sharing!

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments I have a couple more questions for you... You may have been asked them elsewhere before, but since I don't know the answers I'm going to go ahead and ask them anyway.

Do you have a writing routine?

Do you work to a solid outline? Or do you just sit down and write with just a rough plan in your head?

When you read for pleasure, what do you read? Do you have any favourite authors?

What do you do when you're not writing?

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Victoria wrote: "I have a couple more questions for you... You may have been asked them elsewhere before, but since I don't know the answers I'm going to go ahead and ask them anyway.

Do you have a writing routine..."

I don't have a routine, though I probably need one. :) I might get more work done on my four in process books/novellas!

Outline -- it depends on if it's history or a novel. Ghosts of the Past had a basic outline to it because it is the middle chapter in the first trilogy. I had a specific starting point and specific goals to achieve in the narrative.

The history biographies in LWWH have them from the stance that I am following primary and reliable secondary source information. So my "outline" is the history itself. For Catherine de Valois, I put in the historical timeline for both your benefit and mine. The 15th century was a very chaotic, confusing time. The timeline helps keep all of these conflicting and contemporary events in perspective.

As we discussed before, my sight loss affects my reading. Text is very blurry to me and my sight is unstable. So the reading for "pleasure" tends to be research for the books, usually articles like those I find on the BBC History websites.

Audio is an option, but I am quite picky about narrators, especially when it comes to history. For example, I recently downloaded Dr. David Starkey's "Crown and Monarchy" as an audio book -- but had to abandon it after ten minutes because I could not make out key names of historical persons and places.

I did read Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson's "The Pluto Files" on audio and enjoyed that very much.

I guess I tend to prefer non fiction over fiction when it comes to reading for fun because I love to learn and study.

Fiction -- Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon Series and JRR Tolkien are the big ones, plus Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, and William Shakespeare. I have a soft spot for Shakespeare, even knowing his history was terrible.

Not writing -- I love my cockatiels! I also just love talking to friends, especially my UK friends, using skype, google chat, etc.

I do a lot of marketing on Twitter, so that is pretty active as well. I think I just hit 25k tweets.

Folks here are welcome to follow me at @laurelworlds.

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Thanks for answering my questions! :)

message 32: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments And Catherine de Valois interview is LIVE!
http://creativebarbwire.wordpress.com...
Stay tuned for Laurel's interview (you duplicated some of my questions, Tori, LOL)!

message 33: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new) - rated it 5 stars

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Tweeted and reblogged.

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Barbara wrote: "And Catherine de Valois interview is LIVE!
Stay tuned for Laurel's interview (you duplicated some of my questions, Tori, LOL)!"

Maybe that just shows what great questions you ask?

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Loved the interview!

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Barbara wrote: "And Catherine de Valois interview is LIVE!
Stay tuned for Laurel's interview (you duplicated some of my questions, Tori, LOL)!"

love the interview the way you played that. I posted the link to the fb group "history buffs" and hope they don't see it as a "buy my book" sort of post, but more like a "you are there" history. I think the interview showcases nicely parts of Henry and Catherine's personalities that most people just do not know about -- especially if your knowledge of both mostly comes from Shakespeare.

And you know I have data backing up EVERYTHING I wrote in that book and in the interview.

Henry VIII idolized Henry V (even though he was not a descendant) and ended up emulating him in all the worst ways. I hope that came through in the interview, at least somewhat.

message 37: by Barbara (last edited Aug 10, 2014 05:53AM) (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments unfortunately the interviewer is a fantasy character, but she lives in a society pretty close to Catherine's, since the Magical Races are gone from Silvery Earth at that point... so she could sympatize! ;)
I'm sure you can back up everything you wrote. Are you in the https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/... group? You could post those infos and research there too - I bet they'd love that! :)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Barbara wrote: "unfortunately the interviewer is a fantasy character, but she lives in a society pretty close to Catherine's, since the Magical Races are gone from Silvery Earth at that point... so she could sympa..."

I love how you have a fictional character to do your interviews, Barb.

message 39: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments I was inspired by Joleene Naylor - she has her MC Katelina conducting the interviews on her blog... ;)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Barbara wrote: "I was inspired by Joleene Naylor - she has her MC Katelina conducting the interviews on her blog... ;)"

Fair enough! Well, it's cool regardless of where you got the idea! :)

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments The fictional character interviewing is neat, especially when you think about her interviewing someone who really lived.

Sorry I could not come up with some original questions to ask. These biographies are short -- as they have to be in order to be equally accessible to children, teens, and adults.

What I really want to achieve with the LWWH books is a cultural shift -- away from the mostly naked celebrities and away from fairy tales that teach children that the point of life is to find prince charming (who of course never has any flaws, let alone those threatening the safety and security of others), marry him, and then everything will be fine.

We can teach life lessons through the stories of real people who inspire. For example, with Catherine, she had a really hard life which she overcame -- and eventually found true love. Not out of some magical expectation, but because she had the courage to pursue love and defy some very powerful people like John Duke of Bedford, one of Henry V's brothers.

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments The Great Succession Crisis (Peers of Beinan, #1) by Laurel A. Rockefeller Can you believe it's now been TWO YEARS since the original Smashwords release of the original edition of The Great Succession Crisis. In celebration, I am hereby giving anyone reading this a FREE COPY OF THE NOVEL.

I rarely do this; even during the SmashWords summer sale I only discounted GSC instead of giving it away. But for readers here -- yes, let's celebrate two years I've been a self-published author!

This is only on Smashwords at http://tinyurl.com/SWGSCEX with coupon code LG74Z

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Congratulations on your two year bookerversary!

I have no idea if that would be a real word. Probably not, but if they say "bloggerversary" for blog anniversary, then why not bookerversary?

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments probably author anniversary. The extended edition that is current was released 31st January 2013. It was August 12th/13th 2002 though that I released the original edition.

I am really hoping to give out some GSC copies. I will gift a free copy of the sequel, The Ghosts of the Past, to anyone who downloads it and gives me a review on two different book sites (Amazon, smashwords, barnes and noble, ibookstore, etc.). Ghosts is 400 pages -- which is why I charge $4 for the ebook. that's a penny a page. Definitely worth $4!

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments OK, happy authorversary then!

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Victoria wrote: "OK, happy authorversary then!"

That works for me!

Early morning inspiration: make ALL of the Peers of Beinan Series books FREE for the rest of the month -- can you think of a better way to celebrate two years as an author and get some viral momentum going?

Here is what I posted a few minutes ago on g+:

Head back to school reading! Two weeks ONLY, get the ENTIRE Peers of Beinan Series (SIX titles) #FREE. https://www.smashwords.com/books/byse.... Lavish world-building, thought-provoking novels, novellas, and short stories. From stories ripped from the headlines to clean science fiction romance, to dark paranormal murder-mystery, there is something for everyone and for all ages! Offer expires August 31st.

I'm using the permafree option on SmashWords. On September 1st I will change all the prices back to $3.99 for Ghosts, $1.99 for GSC, $0.99 for the novellas, and of course keep The First King free because it's flash fiction.

I switched Poisoned Ground over before bed (FYI, I habitually wake up at 7 am GMT, up for an hour, then go back to bed until about 7 am EDT -- I'm in Pennsylvania for the moment until I can qualify for either tier 1 or tier 2 immigration to Britain) and saw improvements on my numbers on Smashwords.

Really hoping this strategy will work. You've already seen the quality of my writing! I just need OTHERS to know it too! ♥

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Good luck!

Why would you want to come to Britain?

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 55 comments Victoria wrote: "Good luck!

Why would you want to come to Britain?"

I think I was always a more or less British soul born into an American family. From about the age of four or five, I started speaking at a London clip -- even though I was not exposed to anything English or British from conservative (and much slower speaking) Lincoln, Nebraska. That is just one example. Another would be food; as a child, I had a particular dislike of American food.

I tell a bit of the story in my latest blog post http://peersofbeinan.wordpress.com/20... where I am talking about destiny.

Basically I've felt this strong pull towards England my whole life, though it was never all that clear until after the accident took my sight and wiped my memory.

It is altogether possible that part of my mind is synced into a sort of localized collective unconsciousness with someone in Britain. My whole life I've had recurring dreams that remind you of the episode in Star Trek Voyager where Seven of Nine enters Unimatrix Zero. A kind of dream world where I interacted with this one particular person in a sort of close friendship.

I am sure when I come to live in England and I meet him (no doubt that will happen eventually), it will be like when Aurora meets Prince Philip in "Sleeping Beauty." You know the whole "Once Upon A Dream" thing.

Even now, I tend to wake at 7 am GMT even though that's 2 am EDT and do it every night, staying up for several minutes (like right now; I woke at 657 am GMT), and then heading back to bed for the rest of the night. It's like my mind/spirit is in England and my body is in Pennsylvania.

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments Fair enough!

message 50: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Just to warn you, there's England and there's London. The two are very, very different. I live in London and really miss 'proper' England...

« previous 1 3