readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Strong Mother-Daughter relationships

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkirgs) | 3 comments Hi all,

i am looking for strong mother-daughter relationships. Preferably literary fiction, but not necessary. Set in 30s, 40s, or 50s would be cool, but also not necessary.

:)

message 2: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (spoulter22) | 23 comments Check out The Cotton Queen by Pamela Morsi
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
I really like this book. Another good mother/daughter book that I loved was white oleander

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkirgs) | 3 comments Thanks, Shawna! I love White Oleander and I've added The Cotton Queen to my list. I appreciate the input :)

message 4: by JenniferD (last edited May 30, 2018 05:10AM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) the one book that immediately popped into my mind was Mildred Pierce, by James M. Cain, which is so, so good! the miniseries adaption HBO did a few years ago, with kate winslet and evan rachel wood playing mother and daughter, is excellent too.

edited to add:

Unless, by Carol Shields is fantastic! but it's not set in the times you mentioned as preferred.

message 5: by Galen (new)

Galen | 4 comments Terms of Endearment by Louis L'Amour, The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, and Little Women.

None are set in the time periods you're looking for, but they were the first to pop into my head :)

message 6: by Joy D (last edited Nov 03, 2018 08:19AM) (new)

Joy D Miller's Valley by Anna Quindlen is literary fiction set in a small town in Pennsylvania in the 1960's, and features a number of mother-daughter relationships.