The Galentine's Book Club discussion

Black

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Longino | 39 comments "It's time to eat," Johan cried. He threw the door open, pulled up, and then rushed down the steps toward two men on the path below. "Father! We have Thomas Hunter. He is a very interesting man!"

Two thoughts struck Tom at the comment. One, Rachelle was still touching his hand. Two, these people seemed to have no shame. Which meant he had no shame, because he was one of these people.

LOVE that last sentence. Love it.

message 2: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Longino | 39 comments "The point is, we were created to love beauty. We love beauty because Elyon loves beauty. We love song because Elyon loves song. We love love because Elyon loves love. And we love to be loved because Elyon loves to be loved. In all these ways we are like Elyon. In one way or another, everything we do is tied to this unfolding story of love between us and Elyon." (Tanis, telling Tom of the Great Romance)

This book kills me! So much truth.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen Nation | 13 comments Yes!! I have the quote about loving things because Elyon loves them highlighted too!

Another favorite was:
"She wants to feel rescued, Thomas. And she wants to feel chosen. As much as you are desperate to be chosen. We all are. Elyon chooses us. He rescues us and protects us and woos us and, yes, lavishes love on us. This is the Great Romance."

So beautiful. So glad we read this book!

message 4: by Carrie (last edited Aug 04, 2014 03:09PM) (new)

Carrie Williams | 19 comments Maybe this opinion isn't fully formed since I just finished the book last night, but I didn't really love this. Is that ok to say that you didn't love a Christian thriller?

I just felt like it was trying to be too much. Maybe I don't read enough Christian fiction (or any ever), but thinking back to even The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe series, I didn't feel like the imagery was as heavy-handed as it was here. In Black, Eleyon was clearly the God figure, called such, and treated as such. And Hunter was hung on a cross. And everything Eleyon provided was good and everything Teeleh was provided was bad. And there was the literal tempting the man to eat the fruit. I guess I just expected the good vs evil to be a little less obvious? Or make me think more to really pull out the Biblical applications? Again, maybe I don't read enough Christian fiction and this is the way this genre goes?

The author was clearly trying to tie in Hunter's experiences in Bangkok with his experiences in the green forest, but I didn't really see any of his relationship with Eleyon translate between his worlds. If Thomas had this life-changing experience with God, how was his "other" life in Bangkok reflective of this? Or does he only believe in God in the green forest?

Maybe all of that is fleshed out in the other books in the series and I should just hold on to my britches? But I'm not sure I was interested enough in the plot in either of Hunter's worlds to feel like finishing the journey with him.

Someone tell me I'm wrong and crazy. Please.

message 5: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Longino | 39 comments Carrie, I see what you're saying. However, I have no personal issue with the obvious allegory. The last 3 books are awesome- white is actually my favorite, but if you weren't super into it, then I don't know if I would recommend finishing out the series, because I love Black! The rest of the books are VERY different from black, so you may love them!

I think I love Black so much because it feels like a glimpse into heaven- physically walking with God, a return to innocence, living amongst animals, etc. And I want to jump into Elyon's lake so much it hurts!!

message 6: by Layne (new)

Layne Cawthon | 13 comments Mod
How should we work out a discussion? Any specific questions we should always ask? Or just popcorn topics like we're doing?

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 9 comments Maybe have a few specific questions of some mysterious sort, but always welcome the popcorn as well?

message 8: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Longino | 39 comments Specific questions are great, if anyone has any! I just want to know what everyone thought about Black, how it made them feel, how you feel about the characters and the allegory!

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen Nation | 13 comments So.... What do we read now? I'm currently reading the maze runner to pass the in between time! :)

message 10: by Jade (new)

Jade Pierce | 2 comments Okay girls, I couldn't get into this last book for some reason. Who knows why.
But I just finished "If I Stay" and am currently reading the second book in that series. The first book is kind of a quick read. The writer pulls you in pretty fast. And by the end I was so not ready for it to be over. Anyway, if anyone wants to get into these with me...

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 9 comments I didn't realize "If I Stay" was a series. I looked in to reading it because the movie is coming out soon (I love reading books and then watching the movie!)

message 12: by Layne (new)

Layne Cawthon | 13 comments Mod
I had a hard time getting into this, too! Don't know why, specifically.

message 13: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Longino | 39 comments Aw, man! I'm sad so many people didn't like Black! I think I just want to live in the colored forest SO BADLY! If I stay is fine by me for the next book :-)