Review Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Finished rounds > Group 188 - Out of This World

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Scott (last edited May 31, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments First Round: June 22
Second Round: July 13
Third Round: August 3
Fourth Round: August 24

1. John Briggs Instruments of War

2. Noor Al-Shanti Tales from the Circle Volume 1: Rise of the Sorcerer King

3. Scott Spotson Alia Tero: The Many Lives of Darren Datita

4. Stjepan Varesevac Cobets Godeena

5. C.A. Pack Fourth Chronicles of Illumination

6. Scott McCloskey The Goldenwealth Light

7. Christian Warren Freed The Lazarus Men

8. James Maxstadt Duke Grandfather Saves the World*

9. J.B. Trepagnier Child of Fire, Child of Ice

10. Laura Koerber The Shapeshifter's Tale: Book Two of the “Our Side” Collection

The review group is the most successful group for peer reviews on Goodreads. It hosts non-reciprocal reading/review rounds of ten authors. When a round has 'now forming' in the title, there are places available, you can sign up. If it doesn't, it's full – look for another round.

When sorting out groups, I prioritise those members who have fully participated in previous groups and don't have multiple review connections with the other participants.

This is an 'Out of this World' round
Fiction books classified as sci-fi, fantasy, dystopian, paranormal.

If you are only willing to review your own preferred genre, make sure you join a genre round. Allocation is entirely random and there will not be any rearranging of the listing to accommodate personal preference. The only circumstance in which you may duck out of giving a review is if you provide a stand-in reviewer.
Let's be honest here – we don't all like the same things but we all want reviews.

Now for the boring stuff, but please read it, it saves a lot of time if everyone is on the same wavelength.

Before signing up below with your Goodreads author and Goodreads book link in the thread below, please ensure that:

1. You have enough time to read and review four books within the time allowed.

2. Your book is currently available for sale on Amazon (not pre-order) and it complies with the individual round theme, if there is one.

3. Your book is fit to be reviewed. If it is not, due to editing or other issues, you risk poor reviews. This is your problem, not that of the reviewers or the groups. For a small fee, the group admin will look at the first few pages of your book to advise. The number one error new authors make is not having their book beta read and edited, by non-family members.

4. You can submit reviews to Goodreads, your home Amazon zone and one other popular book review website, upon agreement between you and the author being reviewed, i.e. Kobo, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, or another Amazon geographical zone. In the latter case, if there is no agreement, the reviewer has the discretion to choose such a site. Amazon has recently changed their criteria for reviewers to allow only those people who have spent $50 on Amazon. If you are unsure about your Amazon reviewer status, try posting a 'test' review before signing up.

5. Many authors can provide .mobi and .epub files, for free. You can provide (and accept) at least .pdf files. You may buy e-books if you feel the price is a bargain, but you are not expected or required to buy the books you are allocated to review. Some authors borrow books via KU and others provide Smashwords coupons. This is their choice. International Copyright laws apply. You cannot sell, or give away material you have received without the author's express permission.

6. It is up to individuals what disclaimers they place in a review concerning receiving a book in exchange for a review.

7. You have completed your reading if you are currently in another review round in this group.

8. You have an author profile set up before you join.

9. Your Goodreads profile allows people to message you, i.e. your profile is not set to private.

10. You declare any relationship you have with another member in the round. Amazon will not allow reviews from the same household on the same book or if you are an editor, relative or close friend of another member.

11. You agree that your reviews will be unbiased and honest, whatever the star rating, and you will try to avoid 'spoilers'. i.e. giving away the finale of a book.

12. You will not ask a fellow author to change a review of your book because you don't agree with it. If you think you have a legitimate concern, talk to the mod of your round, not the other author. Personal attacks, or pressurising other members will not be tolerated and will result in you being blacklisted.

13. We all want reviews, its why we joined the group. It is bad taste to expect other people to review your book and then not do the same for other people in the group. People that do not finish and/or don't post reviews will find it difficult to get into a subsequent group.

The founding principle of the group is honest, non-reciprocal reviews, so please help maintain the integrity of the group by letting me know as you sign up if you have been reviewed by, or have reviewed another author in the group. Usually places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.

I will do my best to fit everyone into the group they request, but occasionally, particularly in the case of our more prolific good standing members, I may have to decline a member request to fit the maximum number of people into a particular round. I will always endeavour to start another round as soon as possible with that member in mind.

It is permissible to review an author more than once if a different book is available.
If you need anything clarified please ask, either by Goodreads personal message to me or on the thread below, before signing up.

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments I'll start out the gates with this light dystopian humour:

Alia Tero: The Many Lives of Darren Datita

message 3: by Stjepan (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 308 comments I would love to join a group with my book Godeena :)
Godeena by Stjepan Varesevac Cobets

message 4: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) I'll join with Child of Fire, Child of Ice

I've read Scott's book before

message 5: by John (new)

John | 37 comments I'll join with Instruments of War. Thank you.

message 6: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Perrin | 85 comments While I consider my book more of a technothriller, it's also under 'hard science fiction' on Amazon. If that fits, I'll join with Of Half a Mind. If not, no worries.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Updated and we have half our members so far. Sorry Bruce your book is borderline as to fitting in this group as to genre. But if we have trouble filling up this group I'll keep you on! So hold on.

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott McCloskey | 23 comments Is there room for me in this one? I've been a member here for quite some time but I haven't participated in a group in probably 3 years. I've been away from the Goodreads scene doing other writing for a while. I'd like to get involved in the community again and do some book reviews. This would be my submission:

The Goldenwealth Light

It's YA high fantasy. Narnia-esque.

Of course I will post all reviews I do to Amazon and Goodreads. I'd also like to post to my personal blog and maybe do a Tweet if anyone doesn't mind. It's just more plugs for your work, right? :)

Anyway, I realize I'm not a regular. So either way thank you!

message 10: by James (new)

James Maxstadt | 124 comments I'd love to join in. I've got a few conflicts here already, but if it works out, I'm in. Thanks!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 11: by Scott (last edited May 30, 2018 06:16AM) (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Okay, everyone on the list,

Please start declaring your conflicts, now that we have seven so far, so I can see if it's possible to keep everyone in.

I have reviewed Stjepan.

J.B. has reviewed me.

I have reviewed James.

As for specific books, for the conflicts I have noted for myself, all these books will have to be substituted by another one by the authors.

Thanks.

James, in case I have to review you, do you have any other books other than the two Duke Grandfather books I have read?

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott McCloskey | 23 comments I've been out of the loop for a while so I have no conflicts here.

message 13: by James (new)

James Maxstadt | 124 comments Hey Scott. No, not yet. I'm almost done with a true short story anthology, but it's not ready yet.

My conflicts so far:

Scott has reviewed both of my books.

Stjepan has reviewed my other book, so should be okay with this one.

I've reviewed J.B.s book.

Thanks.

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary Kincaid (goodreadscomuser_marytkincaid) | 107 comments Hi Scott,

I would like to join with Hawk McCoy: The Penthiads, a middle grade novel. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

I've reviewed Stjepan but it has been awhile.

Mary

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura Koerber | 413 comments I'd like to join with the Shapeshifter's Tale. I will post the link shortly.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura Koerber | 413 comments I'm getting to the point where everyone's name looks familiar. I think JB has reviewed me, and I recognize James's name. but I am not sure why.

message 17: by James (new)

James Maxstadt | 124 comments Laura recognizes my name because I literally just posted my review of another of her books.

I haven't read this one however.

message 18: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments James, I'll see if I can position you five spaces below me, as we can no longer review each other until you get your new book published in the near future. Thanks.

message 19: by C.A. (new)

C.A. Pack (capack) | 48 comments I'd like to join this group with "Fourth Chronicles of Illumination." This the the third book in a YA fantasy trilogy. Would that be a problem?

https://www.amazon.com/Fourth-Chronic...

message 20: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Hi C.A.! No problems with series, however, if the book is not stand-alone, then normally we ask you to supply a few pages of notes explaining what the storyline up to this point has been and who the characters were and what they did that drove the plot forward prior to this book. The readers here will keep your notes confidential and use for their own purpose for this group.

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments There may still be room for one more, if I can schedule the original list without conflicts. I'm still checking if a recently introduced entry fits in within the genre "Out of This World."

message 22: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Don't forget to keep revealing your conflicts, particularly those who haven't done so yet. This group is getting pretty full so it's a good time now.

message 23: by Christian (new)

Christian Freed | 15 comments Is there still room to jump in? I have a stand alone The Lazarus Men- a cross between Total Recall and the Maltese Falcon.

message 24: by John (new)

John | 37 comments I do not have any conflicts at this time.

message 25: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Maybe, Christian... I'm waiting to hear about one book that may not fit this genre. Yours definitely fits.

Looking good, though, as to getting our ten members.

message 26: by Paul (last edited May 30, 2018 09:03AM) (new)

Paul Arvidson (paularvidson) | 32 comments Fancy me again, with "Dark"? Just about to sign off on EM's 185 list.

I clash with James Maxstadt, but that's it.

Goodreads Link:

Amz Link:
http://a.co/gwy04pv

message 27: by Megan (last edited May 30, 2018 08:58AM) (new)

Megan (mdentnagle) | 8 comments Hello,
I am new to this review pool and was wondering if I can participate with my fantasy book Azurite.
Thanks!!!Azurite

message 28: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Sorry Bruce and Mary, I think your books would fit better under the General category, and hopefully, another group will start soon. While your books may indeed have some elements of the features, they're not overflowing with such particular elements that fit well in this group! But they could be great books, of course!

Also sorry Paul and Megan, you both arrived after the cut-off, but I'm glad you came forth. Another out-of-this-world round may form, and I'll alert the other moderators who seem to love setting up out-of-this-world rounds.

I'll work on the list order. Thanks. Meanwhile, those of you who still haven't informed as to any clashes, please do so.

message 29: by Christian (new)

Christian Freed | 15 comments I don't think I've read any of these authors yet. Works for me, and unless they already bought mine, I'm pretty sure we are even steven.

message 30: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) My conflicts are I've reviewed Scott with that book, Laura with another book, and James has reviewed me

message 31: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Thanks J.B. I've set you up in the right order so the review arrangements in the past are honoured again. I'll find another book of mine for you.

message 32: by C.A. (new)

C.A. Pack (capack) | 48 comments Hi Scott,

Stjepan has previously reviewed me. He would be my only conflict, however, he's not one of the four names directly above me.

message 33: by C.A. (new)

C.A. Pack (capack) | 48 comments Continued: but he would be one of the four I would be reviewing.

message 34: by Noor (new)

Noor Al-Shanti | 110 comments I've reviewed Target Earth, which I think is yours, Scott, but other than that I haven't reviewed or been reviewed by anyone else in the group.

message 35: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Okay, I'll have to switch up the order then, which is fine. C.A. cannot review Stjepan, and Scott S. cannot review Noor, but that's what's happening under the recent version in post #29. I'll work on it.

message 36: by James (new)

James Maxstadt | 124 comments Hey Scott, the only conflict that I think I have is that I've already reviewed JBs book.

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary Kincaid (goodreadscomuser_marytkincaid) | 107 comments Scott wrote: "Sorry Bruce and Mary, I think your books would fit better under the General category, and hopefully, another group will start soon. While your books may indeed have some elements of the features, t..."

Thank you for your consideration. Later. Mary

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura Koerber | 413 comments I am sorry to be dense but I do not understand how to figure out who I send books to and who I read. Thank you for organizing this group.

message 39: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Hi Laura,

You send your book to Scott M., Christian, James, and J.B. You can contact them by private message on their author accounts to ask them their email addresses.

You ask (and give your email address) to John, Noor, Scott S., and Stjepan to get their books so you can review them.

message 40: by John (new)

John | 37 comments Alright, so we are good to go for sending our books then?

message 41: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Yes, please go ahead, since I haven't heard any new objections to the order of authors.

We all have three weeks until June 22 for our first review!

message 42: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Hi John, since your Goodreads author account doesn't allow messaging, please specify your email address here to help those of us send you our books.

message 43: by John (new)

John | 37 comments canuckman1988@gmail.com

message 44: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) I've contacted everyone reviewing me. My book is in KU, but I have any format available. I'll either be purchasing or getting the books I'm reading from KU

message 45: by John (new)

John | 37 comments Scott wrote: "Hi John, since your Goodreads author account doesn't allow messaging, please specify your email address here to help those of us send you our books."

Hi Scott. My settings are allowing people to msg me, so I'm not sure what is going on.

message 46: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Oops, looks like you have another account at Goodreads, as reader. I'll fix your author account in the list.

This is your reader account:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura Koerber | 413 comments Thank hou for your help, Scott

message 48: by Scott (new)

Scott McCloskey | 23 comments Alright, so as I say I've been out of the loop on review groups for awhile, so forgive me, but to clarify...I will be sending my book to the four people after me on the list, and receiving the books of the four before me?

message 49: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments No, Scott, other way around. Thanks!

message 50: by Scott (new)

Scott McCloskey | 23 comments Ah, sorry. Thank you!

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.