Play Book Tag discussion

The Last Black Unicorn
This topic is about The Last Black Unicorn
May 2018: Family Drama > The Last Black Unicorn by Tiffany Haddish 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1663 comments The Last Black Unicorn by Tiffany Haddish
4 stars

I listened to the audible version of this book during y commutes and yard work. I decided this definitely fits the family drama tag because a good portion of the book describes what she went through with her family as she was growing up. There were passages where she talked about her mom and the feeling that was in her voice had me sobbing. A few passages later, I was crying from laughing so hard.

I can't imagine what she went through. My mouth dropped opened at several parts of the book as she described conversations she had with her mom, step-father, and father. I'm in awe of the strength she has to have become the person she is. She seems very self-aware of why she does what she does.

I'm not sure about the print version, but be aware there is A LOT of cussing in the audio version. She also talks about subjects and personal experiences that could be hard to hear. my only complaint is that at the beginning you could hear the differences in editing where she went back in and either re-recorded or added things. Also, there were parts where you could tell she was reading. The parts that she was describing what she went through with her mom, and growing up was described with such emotion that you almost feel what she is feeling. I did notice a difference in how she spoke between the most intense passages versus others. It seemed like the ones that she was most well-spoken it sounded like she was reading. When she was describing the hard experiences, she seemed to slip back into her south central way of talking, which was a bit tough and crude.

Overall, I highly recommend and I loved it!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Yay! I am glad you added another celebrity memoir to the list of books you enjoyed!

And, yes, she is crude and uses lots of harsh language, but I can't imagine her stories in a more politically correct tone or voice. That would definitely take away from the bluntness of her storytelling!

Charlotte | 1663 comments Nicole R wrote: "Yay! I am glad you added another celebrity memoir to the list of books you enjoyed!

And, yes, she is crude and uses lots of harsh language, but I can't imagine her stories in a more politically co..."

I 100% agree! I think that is part of the reason she is able to convey such emotion... it's so raw.

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Glad you liked it!!

I watched Girls Trip a couple weeks ago after finishing this book- super funny!!