Worth the Read discussion

The Invention of Wings
This topic is about The Invention of Wings
Book discussion > The Invention of Wings: August 2014

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Simmons (brandisimmons) | 8 comments Mod
This month's selection is The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. Delve into this fictionalized story of real-life slavery abolitionist Sarah Grimké, daughter of a plantation owner in Charleston. It's fascinating and inspiring.

message 2: by Phyllis (last edited Aug 04, 2014 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phyllis | 3 comments I just finished that book two weeks ago. Took me on quite a journey. Good choice. It went in an entirely different direction than I expected. Thoughtfull illustration of the reality that not all bondage is physical.

Kathy | 4 comments I just read it a while ago myself. Really fascinating book. A couple of new twists to an old sad story that remind me to rejoice in how far we have come even though we need to go so much further!

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha Strohschein | 5 comments The book kept my interest as it seemed to depict a faily historically accurate account of the Grimke sisters, based on the information included at the end. However, the ending of the book seemed far-fetched to me and almost undercut the carefully drawn images of slavery in the South.

message 5: by Donna (last edited Aug 14, 2014 02:23PM) (new)

Donna Perreault | 2 comments This book is really well-written. I found the Hetty/Helpful section especially powerful, so I was struck that it was almost entirely fiction, in contrast to that of the Grimkés. Weaving the Hetty/Helpful chapters with those focused on Sarah Grimké (and later her sister) was a brilliant -- and ambitious -- idea in that portraying the hell of a slave's existence lends weight to the urgency of abolitionist's protest against slavery. However, a kind of unevenness seemed to creep into the latter chapters involving the Grimké sisters, maybe because they skimmed over the actual public events at which the sisters spoke. I appreciate knowing now how essential was their contribution to the women's movement in the U.S. Like Martha, though, I found the ending rather improbable. But it is entirely fictional, after all, and it seems consistent with what the character Sarah would have wanted to do.

message 6: by Tami (new)

Tami Moran | 4 comments I really enjoyed the book and have to confess I knew nothing of the Grimke sisters. Kidd is a fabulous writer (I loved Secret Life of Bees too) with an incredible way with words that draws the reader into the characters' lives and emotions. Anytime I read about the horrendous struggles that slaves endured and to a much lesser extent women at that time I am proud of those that persevered and forced an end to slavery and inequality. I would have felt so frustrated and helpless had I been born during that time and like to think I would have been part of the movement of the outspoken against social injustice.