Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > July Contemporary Novel Discussion Topic selection complete

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the place to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our July group read and discussion (beginning July 21.) A contemporary novel would typically have been first published in the 21st century.

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. Note that if your nomination is selected by the group, we'll be expecting you to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. We also read one or more short stories every other month; that discussion starts the 11th of alternate months. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F Novel discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that these are nominations for our July discussion topic. Lost Stars has already been selected as our June Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Sunday, June 3, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2811 comments I'll nominate The Mermaid by Christina Henry (no dragons!)

It's very new, only comes out mid-June but that still gives a month to order a copy and read it so should be fine, it's a fast read. I won it through a GR giveaway and enjoyed it. Good for hot summer days when you don't want to trudge through something very deep and difficult but still manages to have some serious critiques of society mixed in.

message 3: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Because of obvious reason, I nominate Hunter's Run by Gardner Dozois, GRRM and Daniel Abraham.

message 4: by Cat (new)

Cat | 343 comments I want to nominate Akarnae by Lynette Noni

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I nominate

Senlin Ascends (The Books of Babel, #1) by Josiah Bancroft
Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft

just because.

message 6: by Book Nerd (new)

Book Nerd (book_nerd_1) | 154 comments I don't know how strict the 21st century thing is but this book is from 1997.

Dead Girls by Richard Calder
Dead Girls

It's easiest to get as a trilogy: Dead Girls, Dead Boys, Dead Things

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2811 comments Book Nerd wrote: "I don't know how strict the 21st century thing is but this book is from 1997."

From G33z3r's post:
One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000;

So your nomination counts as a Classic.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 05, 2018 06:02AM) (new)

Reminder: Today, Sunday, is the final day to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our July group read and discussion.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our Contemporary Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for July is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice.

Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that work.

Note that these are nominations for our July discussion topic. Lost Stars has already been selected as our June Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Monday, June 11.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 12, 2018 04:39AM) (new)

Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the above nominees with the group, today is the final day to vote for one of our Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our July group read and discussion.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2811 comments I won't be changing my vote since none of the other books catch my fancy (even the one my library has) so if Cat is willing to change her vote then can avoid a runoff. But if Cat is like me, then the runoff will likely be a tie anyway!

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 526 comments I have severely overcommitted this month so I’m not going to vote in July reads in hopes of getting things under control ....

message 13: by Cat (new)

Cat | 343 comments Andrea wrote: "I won't be changing my vote since none of the other books catch my fancy (even the one my library has) so if Cat is willing to change her vote then can avoid a runoff. But if Cat is like me, then t..."

Yeh, sorry, neither of those really catch my fancy!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Cat wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I won't be changing my vote since none of the other books catch my fancy
Yeh, sorry, neither of those really catch my fancy! ..."

Well, good to know; saves a runoff that won't change anything :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner

Our selected Contemporary Fantasy Novel for discussion in July is...

Senlin Ascends (The Books of Babel, #1) by Josiah Bancroft Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft

The discussion will begin July 21.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.