SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Akata Witch (The Nsibidi Scripts, #1)
This topic is about Akata Witch
What Else Are You Reading? > "Akata Witch" by Nnedi Okorafor (BR)

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
This is our first buddy read selection for June for the Inclusive Book Club Bingo! You do not need to be participating in the challenge to join us in our discussion, all are welcome!

Please use spoiler tags and chapter headings so that everyone can follow along at their own pace and still add to discussion.

message 2: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9646 comments Mod
I want to start this now! But I have to finish Radch first. This can be my reward.

message 3: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I started this, I think I've read four chapters. It's more MG than YA, or somewhere in the middle. Feels about the same age as her Zahrah the Windseeker. Fun, magical and light, just what I needed.

Actually, it's kind of Zahrah meets Binti.

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments I just got the library audiobook for this today. But I also have Into the Drowning Deep to listen to as well. Guess I'm binging audiobooks this weekend.

Rachel | 1327 comments Way. Too. Many books committed too...

message 6: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eeeaghhh! I just started chapter 6. Adding brain bleach to my shopping list. Beware if you're very sensitive about animals and/or easily grossed out.

message 7: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

I was going to be surprised if she wrote a book with no trauma!

message 8: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

It's not quite Who Fears Death, but I'm sensitive about things to do with animals. I'm revising my earlier opinion, I don't think this is suitable for MG age kids, although it's possible I'm more of a wuss than they are :D It feels MG otherwise, but some details are more graphic than I'd expect in this type of book. I just read a part with detailed violence against a child. It's almost Binti level graphic, I could do with less.

I'm still liking it though, it's just darker than I expected.

message 9: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 01, 2018 05:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

OK I have to go back to what I mentioned in my last message. Spoilers for the start of chapter 9, second page or so, the news article.

(view spoiler)

I have no idea what kids can handle, but I'm an adult and I'm sobbing in terror. (A tiny bit of exaggeration.)

message 10: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments Umm... I think I might skip this one. Stressful violence involving kids and animals is not my bag. (I loved Binti, though, somehow that didn't seem as bad?)

Sarah | 2611 comments Anna wrote: "OK I have to go back to what I mentioned in my last message. Spoilers for the start of chapter 9, second page or so, the news article.

[spoilers removed]

I have no idea what kids can handle, but ..."

ooh- thanks for the heads up Anna... I'm suddenly rethinking this...

Is it a whole detailed scene? Or is it mentioned in passing?

message 12: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

It's a short news article about what happened to a child. It's very possible I'm overreacting, most people's reviews say it's MG and would recommend to a 10 year old. I hate reading stuff like this, I absolutely hate movies with stuff like this, so I may be way more sensitive. It's probably also because I was expecting something fun and easy, so it took me completely by surprise. If I'm expecting adult level stuff, I won't be as shocked by it.

If you want to know what it is, my spoiler above is very short, just the fact itself. It won't spoil the plot in any way.

My earlier comment about animals is specifically (view spoiler). No plot spoilers.

I've read up to chapter 12, those are the two things I've had problems with, otherwise it's fine. There is a third thing I'm wondering about, but I'm hoping it's a childish exaggeration.

Binti wasn't super graphic, but it's adult scifi with a traumatic event, so it's not suitable for children.

Lastly, yes, Okorafor's books sometimes have horrifying scenes, but there's usually a reason for it, and it is dealt with in some way. I'm sure the child violence is going to be dealt with, I'm just not there yet.

Sarah | 2611 comments Anna wrote: "It's a short news article about what happened to a child. It's very possible I'm overreacting, most people's reviews say it's MG and would recommend to a 10 year old. I hate reading stuff like this..."

This is very helpful- thank you! And no- you're not overreacting! Especially when it comes as a surprise, I know exactly what you mean and I appreciate the heads up.

message 14: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments Anna wrote: "I hate reading stuff like this, I absolutely hate movies with stuff like this, so I may be way more sensitive. It's probably also because I was expecting something fun and easy, so it took me completely by surprise. If I'm expecting adult level stuff, I won't be as shocked by it."

Yes, thanks for the explanation! I'm exactly the same way, so knowing what to expect makes it a lot easier.

message 15: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

I am sorry that it took a trigger, but it fills my heart with gladness to see people taking care of each other :) Y'all rock. Thanks, Anna, for sharing, knowing stuff like that is coming really does make it so much easier!

message 16: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished. I don't know why I'm so fixated on what age group this would be appropriate for. It's not MG, but parts of it feel very young. I think the start fooled me into expecting something much younger than it ended up being.

I liked parts of it a lot. Some parts not so much. Besides the earlier stuff, I felt very uncomfortable with (view spoiler)

As always, I liked her writing, and the Nigerian setting.

I liked Zahrah better, it was magical, whimsical, truly different. The plot in this one was a bit too familiar. Both are too young for my usual tastes, so it's hard to say what a younger reader would think. And I was led to believe this was super amazing, so maybe my expectations were a bit too high.

I hope I haven't ruined it for others!

Despite all the whining, I'm going to continue on to Akata Warrior. I'm hoping it'll be amazing, and I'll be expecting more mature content, since the kids will be older.

message 17: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm halfway through Warrior and liking it much more! Some of the problems I had seem to be fixed, and of course I wasn't expecting MG. There's even a scene with disgusting bugs, and I found them cute! Also lots of spiders, but I don't have a problem with them.

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments Okay, finally getting around to starting this today. I'm only on chapter three so far. I'm kind of worried because I've read so many reviews saying this is super similar/derivative of Harry Potter. So I guess I'll see.

Sarah | 2611 comments I have this on hold as an ebook- but Libby is telling me it will be 6 weeks. Hopefully it won’t be that long :(.

Rachel | 1327 comments Yeah there are 6 ahead of me in the hold line - hope to get it this month

Sarah | 2611 comments Well if nothing else hopefully we get it at the same time so we won’t be reading alone!

message 22: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I also heard the African Harry Potter comments, and I completely understand why. But I would suggest to forget about that, and just take it as Nigerian magic.

I finished Warrior yesterday, and I'm thinking my reading of Witch may have suffered from the minute I hit the first snag. I was ambushed and I should have immediately adjusted my expectations. As I've been thinking about it after I finished, I've concentrated on the things I liked, and I'm thinking of changing my rating to 4. It definitely deserves more than 3 stars.

message 23: by Jain (new)

Jain | 92 comments For the people who've read both: do you think Akata Warrior would make sense to someone who didn't read Akata Witch first? (I'm working my way through Hugo reading and need to read Warrior, which is a finalist in the new YA category, but I bounced off Witch the first time I tried it, and am hoping I can just skip straight to the sequel.)

message 24: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I don’t think it would be ideal, but you could try. Some of the plot continues from book one, so you’d need to find a plot summary.

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments Anna wrote: "I also heard the African Harry Potter comments, and I completely understand why. But I would suggest to forget about that, and just take it as Nigerian magic.

I finished Warrior yesterday, and I'm..."

Yeah, so far I can see what those reviewers are saying, but it's doing just fine standing on its own and not making me constantly draw parallels.

I'm on chapter seven now and so far it's fine. I haven't really been drawn in yet though. I'm hoping things start to pick up some.

message 26: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 404 comments Jain wrote: "For the people who've read both: do you think Akata Warrior would make sense to someone who didn't read Akata Witch first? (I'm working my way through Hugo reading and need to read Warrior, which i..."

I did that. I read Akata Warrior without having read Akata Witch. I did it because I started Akata Witch and it didn't hold my interest. I thought Akata Warrior might be better. Starting with the second book is definitely feasible. Okorafor brings readers up to speed with background at the beginning of Akata Warrior. It held my interest and I think it is a better book, but it's not in the same league as the books Okorafor has written for adults.

message 27: by Jordan (last edited Jun 11, 2018 06:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments Hrmmm. Okay, finished this. Not really my favorite. Thoughts below.

(view spoiler)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Jordan wrote: "Hrmmm. Okay, finished this. Not really my favorite. Thoughts below...."

Ditto on literally everything you said. You stole the thoughts directly from my brain. I finished this just now (view spoiler)

Rachel | 1327 comments finally able to start this - of course I have another group read starting tomorrow ..that I nominated I think...good thing it looks like a fast read.

Sarah | 2611 comments I’m still waiting for mine to come in. I wish my library would invest in more ebooks. :(

Sarah | 2611 comments FINALLY starting this... sheesh. Library ebook waits are killing me, but it's going really fast.

I'm pleasantly surprised. Between the content warnings and middle grade feel I wasn't expecting much but I'm enjoying it overall. I love the Nigerian setting and cultural elements. It could also have a lot to do with the fact that I finally finished Death's End and that was really dense.

Sarah | 2611 comments I finished (only a month late- haha!). I actually really enjoyed it. My biggest issues were:

(view spoiler)