The Professor Life Book Club discussion

Roll Call - Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Macy (new)

Macy Skipworth (theprofessorlife) | 13 comments Mod
Hey, all! I'm super pumped that you've jumped into this club. Good Reads is actually new to me, so it's been fun digging into this group! We can all learn as we go. :)

This book club is going to be super laid back and pressure free. I think we will probably read a few chapters a week, and then jump on here on Wednesdays to post questions or thoughts. This is just a fun space for us to talk about what we're reading!

Let's introduce ourselves because half the fun is getting to know others through this little shabang.

We'll go old-school summer camp style and go through a list of things:
1) Where you're from
2) What you do
3) Your all-time favorite book!

Thanks again for joining everyone...can't wait to get our read on!

xoxo,
Macy

message 2: by Macy (new)

Macy Skipworth (theprofessorlife) | 13 comments Mod
I'll go first!

Hey all, I'm Macy!
I was born and raised in Lubbock, TX and I haven't left yet. ;)

I am currently getting my PhD at Texas Tech in Film and Media Studies. I specialize in production and jazz studies, and recently I've really been into social media content development. I will be in charge of our department's web content in the fall.

My all-time favorite book is the Harry Potter series, BUT I know this is a crazy popular answer, so I'll let someone else take that one. ;) Sherlock Holmes is actually my comfort book that I go back to over and over. I think Conan Doyle was a brilliant story crafter, and I'm super drawn to wit and intelligence in characters, and Sherlock Holmes is the witty protag OG.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan Guy (meganguy) | 5 comments Hi guys!! I’m Megan!

I’m from Florida but I’m current attending grad school in Alabama, where I study music education. My emphasis is instrumental music, specifically band. My goal is to pursue a Ph.D. and teach at the collegiate level!

I have so many favorite books and series, but if I had to choose, the two that move me the most are “The Night Circus” by Erin Morgenstern and “Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley. I could read either of those books endlessly for the rest of my life and they’d never lose their potency!

Of course I can’t deny I’m an unapologetic Harry Potter fanatic though 😅 Ravenclaw all the way!

I can’t wait to start discussing with you guys!

message 4: by Crissta (new)

Crissta Morrison | 4 comments Hello! I'm Crissta, and I am also lbk born and raised! I work at Lubbock Christian High School as the freshman and sophomore English teacher! I'm hoping to start working towards a master's soon, but I'm still deciding if I should go English or Education...

My all-time favorite book is The Book Theif by Marcus Zusak, without a doubt! But my go-to comfort book is Sunshine by Robin McKinley.

I'm also a Ravenclaw! I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of us are! I'm looking forward to this new kind of book club! It's inspiring me!

message 5: by Dwight (new)

Dwight Davis (dwightdavis) | 4 comments Hello everyone! I’m Dwight, and I’m from Nashville, TN. I recently graduated with my MA in theology from Vanderbilt. My work focuses on the ways that theology has been used as a tool for oppression and on developing new theological methods of liberation from queer, Black, and feminist perspectives. I’ll be taking the next year off to do some resting and then hopefully will start a PhD next year.

My favorite book...that feels like an impossible question so I’ll just go with my favorites that I’ve read this year which are The Nix by Nathan Hill, Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff, and 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

I’m really excited about this group!

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 2 comments Helloooo! I’m Susie. I currently reside in Ogden, Utah near that big salty lake you may have heard of.

Right now, I am working at a nonprofit after school program for disadvantaged youth and will begin my masters in public health this fall. I hope to specialize in nutrition and children’s health.

My favorite book is probably “An Interrupted Life” a compilation of letters and journal entries from Etty Hillesum. Basically the whole book is highlighted at this point 🙈

Hufflepuff 4 ever!! 🐼 (no badger emoji so this panda will have to suffice!)

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyjay94) | 5 comments Hey everyone!

I'm Amy and I'm from Sheffield in the UK. I'm currently working on my PhD in Renaissance literature. I mostly work on post-Reformation religion in England and the representation of religion in Renaissance literature.

It's so difficult to choose just one book but my top three are 1984 by George Orwell, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, and Fingersmith by Sarah Waters.

#SlytherinPride 🐍 (That snake emoji is awful)

message 8: by Porter (new)

Porter Taylor (porterctaylor) | 4 comments Hey All!

My name is Porter and I currently live in the Kansas City metro area but was born outside of Chicago and grew up in Falls Church, VA.

I am currently working on my PhD in theology from the University of Aberdeen, have an interior painting business to pay the bills, and am Anglican priest to boot. Married to the fabulous Rebecca and we have three boys.

HP all the way; Gryffindor or Bust. For more serious books, “The Nightingale,” “Sing, Unburied, Sing,” and “Homegoing” are atop the list.

Look forward to hanging out with you all!

message 9: by Carissa (new)

Carissa (withinthewithout) | 5 comments Hi everyone!! So happy to have found this group. My name is Carissa and I'm currently a grad student pursuing my M.A. in Communication at Duquesne University that is based in Pennsylvania, but I recently made the switch to the online version of the program because I just moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan with my fiance 😊 I have such a huge passion for writing, social justice, and empathy and my dream job would be to earn my Ph.D and teach higher education!

I'm also an INFJ (super into personality types) and I'm a Slytherin, which really surprises me! I can't wait to interact with all of you. My Instagram handle is also @carissarkb if anyone wants to connect on there as well 😊

message 10: by Carissa (new)

Carissa (withinthewithout) | 5 comments Oops! I forgot to include my favorite book - I'm torn between "The Great Gatsby" and "Americanah" by Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie. I actually have a tattoo inspired by a line in Gatsby, which reads "within and without".

message 11: by Karly (new)

Karly Haggerty | 3 comments Hey there! My name is Karlene but most people call me Karly, I answer to both on a daily basis so whatever you pick is fine. I'm so excited to be here and get to know ya'll. In case you couldn't tell from that last line, I am a born and raised Southern girl living in Raleigh, NC. I'm finishing my bachelor's in creative writing and English with a minor in psychology this December, and will be pursuing counseling psychology in grad school next fall.
For the past year I've worked at Brain Balance Achievement Center, which is a company that helps kids with autism, ADHD, dyslexia, and other disorders. We target the underdeveloped hemisphere of the brain and work to develop it holistically. I love my job!
My all time favorite book would have to be "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. A close second is "Quiet" by Susan Cain, about unlocking the power of introverts. I am also a Harry Potter fan. (Who isn't?!) 10 points for Gryffindor!!!

message 12: by Cayce (new)

Cayce | 1 comments Hi everyone! I’m Cayce - Kentucky born and raised, Florida-girl by choice, but currently following my soldier wherever his job takes him. :) Right now, we’re at Fort Bragg with hopes of Texas by the end of the year.

I’m a nurse turned stay at home mom with three kiddos, and I’m working on my Masters in Healthcare Administration with a specialty in Human Resources Management.

My favorite book of all time is Pride and Prejudice. I read it every year, and never lose the butterflies when Darcy tells Elizabeth he loves her! I am trying to keep my reading goal of two books a month throughout the year, and am excited to hop into this group!

Cayce

message 13: by Emmanuelle (new)

Emmanuelle Chiocca | 1 comments Hi everyone, I’m Emma! I was born and raised near Bordeaux, France, and I just finished my PhD in Education at the University of Oklahoma. I specialize in language teaching and learning and in international education. I’m about to start a new life as an assistant professor at Duke Kunshan University near Shanghai!

I do not have a favorite book, but I have a favorite author: Stefan Zweig. I love anything by Paulo Freire, bell hooks, and James Baldwin, and I’m a big fan of the work of Louise Erdrich, Joseph Boyden, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Amos Oz.

message 14: by Chastin (new)

Chastin Powell | 2 comments Hi everyone! I’m Chastin!

I’m from West Texas, a small town called Seminole. I live in Lubbock now!

I currently work as a Foster Care Case Manager for the Children’s Home of Lubbock. I am also working on my Masters in Clinical Mental Health counseling. I’m getting close to the finish line, but am hoping and planning to start my PhD shortly after.

It is incredibly hard to pick a favorite book. My most recent favorite is The Road by Cormac McCarthy!

message 15: by Becca (new)

Becca Webb (BeccaWebb) | 2 comments Hey, y’all! My name is Becca!

I am from California but moved to Texas for college in 2009 and have made Texas my home! I taught high school English in Lubbock for three years, and my husband and I recently moved to the small town of Seminole where I just finished my fourth year of teaching. We also just had an adorable baby boy who I pretty much just stare at all day long.

I cannot choose one favorite book, AND I’m high maintenance, so I’m going to list a few... :)
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Rabbit, Run by John Updike
No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

message 16: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia Rocha | 4 comments Hello! So excited to be part of the group! My name is Cecilia, I’m from Brazil but now I live in Canada where I’m finishing my postdoc in Neuroscience (next month!). I did my PhD in France where I met a spanish girl that presented me to my favourite book “The Shadow of the wind” by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Great book!

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebrice) | 3 comments Megan wrote: "Hi guys!! I’m Megan!

I’m from Florida but I’m current attending grad school in Alabama, where I study music education. My emphasis is instrumental music, specifically band. My goal is to pursue a ..."

Hi Megan! I don't know if replies are a thing on Goodreads so I thought I would test it...The Night Circus is definitely on my favorites list as well!! So magical!

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebrice) | 3 comments Hi new friends! I'm Rebecca, I'm working on my PhD in Communication--I study security, risk, and collaboration at the local level. I'm dissertating and so happy to be in a group like this for social reading.

I'm from Arizona, I'm attending school in Boulder, Colorado. My favorite book I've read recently was The Secret History by Donna Tartt. And I'm currently adding all your faves to my "to read" list.

message 19: by Madelaine (new)

Madelaine So excited to see this group on my dash! I bumped into my preceptor a couple days ago at the public library, and she commented that so few grad students read for leisure these days. (I figure my weekly library haul makes up for for the rest of my cohort.)

1) Where are you from? - All over Canada ... Literally, coast to coast.

2) What do you do? - I'm currently completing my second (yeah ...) PhD in the health sciences. It's essentially a post-doc, which means my time is spent between seeing patients, teaching classes, supervising honours students, and running a RCT.

3) What is your all-time favorite book? - I don't think I have a "favourite" anything ... But books that I keep coming back to include Harry Potter, the All Souls Trilogy, and Peter Pan.

message 20: by Shelbi (new)

Shelbi Hannsz | 5 comments Hi! I’m Shelbi

Live in Lubbock, Texas
Social worker turned stay at home Mom
Favorite book is East of Eden

So excited to join!

message 21: by Sarah (last edited May 30, 2018 03:18AM) (new)

Sarah Davison (sedavison) | 4 comments Hi everyone! So cool to see how many different disciplines everyone in this group comes from.

I'm Sarah, I've just finished an integrated Masters in French and German at the University of Manchester, UK (but am originally from Bath, UK). I did my MA dissertation on phenomenology and French film, and I'm starting my PhD in September (at Manchester) to look at representations of terrorism in French film.

As for favourite books... it's a tough one. Harry Potter is my favourite series, Bernhard Schlink is my favourite author, but I think Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Jonathan Safran Foer) or Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood) might be my favourite books.

Edit: I'm a Slytherin, guilty as charged.

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna Palm | 4 comments Hello everyone! My name is Anna Palm and I recently graduated from Oakland University with a MA in Communication. I'm currently looking for work, so what I'm doing right now is mostly writing and going to the gym. My all-time favorite book is probably 'Treasure Island' because I keep picking it back up and re-reading it. I also love the Harry Potter series! J.K. Rowling really made me want to be a full-time writer.

message 23: by Anna (new)

Anna Palm | 4 comments Oh and I'm from Sweden, but I've been living in the metro-Detroit area since 2008.

message 24: by Tori (new)

Tori | 7 comments Hi! My name is Victoria. I was born in Darwin and live in Brisbane, both of those places are in Australia. I have a Masters in Speech Pathology Studies, I graduated in 2008 and have been working with adults with communication and swallowing disorders ever since. In 2016 I started my PhD which is looking to describe aphasia (language impairments) in patients following a relatively new treatment for stroke.
I've always loved reading, my favourite book is probably always the one I'm reading. If it manages to hold my attention, it must be a good book! I don't think I could pick an all time favourite. I do love Harry Potter too. Another Ravenclaw.
I have two children, a daughter Imogen, 7, and a son, Archer, 4.

I'm so excited to finally join a book club!

message 25: by Lucy (last edited Jun 02, 2018 01:09AM) (new)

Lucy (foxie_wilde) | 6 comments Hello everyone!

I am so glad I found this group (through Instagram - you can find me @foxie_wilde) and it's fantastic to see such a diverse variety of disciplines and interests!

I'm Lucy, and I was born and raised in Stoke-on-Trent (UK). I have also just finished an Integrated Masters in French and German at Manchester University (UK) and will be starting a PhD in September (at Manchester with Sarah!) too. I did my MA thesis on reinterpreting the Cartesian 'beast-machine' hypothesis through Descartes and Derrida, and my PhD is focusing on philosophy and ethics of care in relation to nonhuman animals in early modern France.

Please don't make me pick a favourite book, that's too hard! If we're going for fiction, I love 'The Great Gatsby' (I've lost count of how many times I have read it, and I get something new from every re-read!). But I also love me a bit of Tolkien, Zola, Fontane and recently I've been loving David Duchovny as an author too - his 'Holy Cow' is incredibly witty and thought-provoking! In terms of more academic-y books, that's a hard one as I read so many, but at the moment I have been loving Hal Herzog's 'Some we love, some we hate, some we eat' - it's a great introduction into my field if anyone is interested!

Can't wait to start reading and discussing!

(#Ravenclaw4life, seeing as we're going there!)

message 26: by Sommer (new)

Sommer | 2 comments Hi all! My name is Sommer. I’m from Lubbock, Texas. I am currently pursuing my master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, and I am interning at the local jail as a counselor. I am graduating in December and hope to pursue my PhD afterwards!
I have always loved reading, so picking a favorite book is HARD. One of my all time favorites would have to be Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. I’m a sucker for classic literature, but I will read almost anything! I’m looking forward to reading with you all! :)

message 27: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 4 comments Hi everyone! I’m Cassie, I have lived in the Lubbock area my whole life. I teach kindergarten at Shallowater Elementary and I LOVE it! I just wrapped up my 5th year.

I love reading all kinds of genres, fiction, nonfiction, YA, and children’s books (I teach kindergarten). My favorite 2 books are ‘The Great Gatsby’ and ‘Redeeming Love”

I am so excited for this book club! Thank you Macy for getting it started!

message 28: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (adeutsch) | 4 comments Hi new friends! My name is Ashley and I just finished the second year of my PhD in marketing at the University of Arkansas. Please excuse any bad grammar or sentence structure; I just took my comps yesterday and am still recovering. I’m originally from Indiana and got my MA in Communication at Purdue. Now I’m studying transformative consumer research which is at the intersection of marketing and public policy and focused on action research. I’m currently working on the first essay of my diss about structural inequalities in child nutrition programs in schools. My research also leans heavily on social theory so I’m going to Denmark end of June for a consortium on classical social theorists. Eek so excited!

Favorite book right now is Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J Ryan Stradal but it’s constantly changing.

Can’t wait to get to know everyone! (And go Hufflepuff!)

message 29: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (abigail_j_a) | 2 comments Hey everyone!

1) Where you're from - I'm originally from New York but now live in Georgia
2) What you do - I am a almost 4th year (eek) PhD Student in the Microbiology Department
3) Your all-time favorite book! - The bright forever

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Watson | 2 comments Hello from the Sunshine State where it’s already hotter than the fifth layer of hell!!

I’m Jennifer, and I live on the Florida Panhandle, about a mile from our beautiful, white-sand beaches! I was born and raised in Georgia and never thought I’d leave, but marrying a military man changed that in a hurry!! Fifteen years later, we are happy by the ocean (despite the fact that it’s so dang hot), and our little family will be settled here for the duration. We have a 10 year old son, a 9 year old daughter, a 5 year old yorkie, and a 3 year old chihuahua (who is an idiot and is lucky to still live here).

I am a high school English teacher—-just finished my 10th year. My BA is in Mass Communication; my first MA is in Curriculum & Instruction; and, I have an M.Ed. in Educational Leadership. I absolutely love working with young people!!

All time favorite book?? Easy. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. No question.

I look forward to reading with all of you! I am @elabeachteach on IG if you’re ever over there!

message 31: by Carissa (new)

Carissa (withinthewithout) | 5 comments Lucy wrote: "Hello everyone!

I am so glad I found this group (through Instagram - you can find me @foxie_wilde) and it's fantastic to see such a diverse variety of disciplines and interests!

I'm Lucy, and I w..."

Hi Lucy!! I love your favorite book ;) Gatsby is my top book as well, I have a tattoo of "within and without" from the book :)

message 32: by Kacey (new)

Kacey (kacey_claire) | 2 comments Hi friends! I'm Kacey and I just finished my first year as a PhD student at the University of North Texas. I'm studying Educational Psychology with a concentration in Gifted and Talented Ed. I'm originally from Florida, but Texas has my whole heart now!

I have taught 8th grade English for the last five years and will be a full time student/research assistant in the fall. I'm completely a ravenclaw, though my ISFP and 2 (enneagram) self tried to play off as a gryffindor for years.

Choosing a favorite book gives me some anxiety -- see personality types above -- but I'll go with The Time Traveler's Wife as it was the first book to make me cry.

message 33: by Baylee (new)

Baylee Mendez | 1 comments Hi I’m Baylee!!

I was born and raised in Lubbock. And don’t plan on leaving any time soon. I work at UMC as the DaySurgery scheduler. I am also working to go back to school in August, for my masters in Public Health.

I love to read any horror or mystery book. My favorite books are Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. It make me feel like a kid again dreaming about a different world!

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura Gilbert | 3 comments Madelaine wrote: "So excited to see this group on my dash! I bumped into my preceptor a couple days ago at the public library, and she commented that so few grad students read for leisure these days. (I figure my we..."
Yay!!!! Hi Madelaine! (We did our MPH together!)

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura Gilbert | 3 comments Hi Everyone! I am Laura!
I live in Kelligrews, Newfoundland and Labrador.
I am doing my PhD in Epidemiology/Biostats in Community Health and Humanities, Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University. I am doing research in cervical cancer screening programs and the application of HPV testing in screening.
I love Stephen King books. My favorite book is A Wrinkle in Time. I also love Salem's Lot!
I also love Harry Potter!!! #hufflepuff

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate (katerinabeth) | 2 comments Megan wrote: "Hi guys!! I’m Megan!

I’m from Florida but I’m current attending grad school in Alabama, where I study music education. My emphasis is instrumental music, specifically band. My goal is to pursue a ..."

The Night Circus is one of my favorites, too!

message 37: by Kate (new)

Kate (katerinabeth) | 2 comments Hi everyone! I'm Kate and I live just outside of Chicago.

I'm a PhD student in a health professions education program (my dream job is to be an assistant/associate dean at a medical school), and my focus thus far has been on curricular initiatives to reduce grad student stress and burnout through mindfulness. I also work as an assistant director for a graduate health professions program, whose students will serve as my dissertation guinea pigs (my master's is in higher ed administration). I also teach at a few different undergrad and grad programs at various universities.

I have a lot of favorite books, but I loved The Night Circus and Girls Made of Snow and Glass for fiction, and I just finished Deep Work, which I highly recommend for anyone in the midst of doing a PhD.

message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea J. (ajseverson) | 1 comments Hi all! I'm a late joiner to this book club. My name is Andrea, and I live in Hell, Arizona, ok, ok, I live in Scottsdale, but the Phoenix Valley feels like hell right now. Abut 106F (42C). I'm very bitter about it lol. I've lived here since 1997 so I guess I should be used to it, but nope. Before Arizona I lived across the US and in Germany (dad was US Army).

I just finished my PhD in English: Writing, Rhetorics, and Literacies from Arizona State University. My diss was on stateswomen fashion icons and identity construction, I examined Jackie Kennedy, Michelle Obama, Princess Diana, and Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge (aka Kate Middleton). Still can't quite believe I graduated and that my dissertation is done. It's a very, very weird feeling.

I don't think I could pick a favorite book. Favorite that I've read this year is probably The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. The last 40 pages or so had me in a full on ugly cry but I just couldn't put it down to compose myself, I had to keep reading. Generally I love chick lit, historical stories, thrillers, and since it seems to be a theme in here, yes, I love HP. But...I didn't read them until I'd seen all the movies. I started reading them the summer before I started my PhD and then finished the series over the first couple years.

When I first got sorted on Pottermore I was Gryffindor, when they redid the site and let people get sorted again I got Hufflepuff, so I consider myself a Gryffinpuff since I identify with both houses. :)