2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives - Monthly Reading Plans > Jessika's reading plan June 2018

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessika (last edited Jun 30, 2018 07:31PM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Let's see if I can stick to a plan...

Currently Reading
H Is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8) by Sue Grafton

Plan: Series
The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2) by Douglas Adams

Plan: Other
What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe So, Anyway... by John Cleese The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer

Completed
Exo (Jumper, #4) by Steven Gould Jumper Griffin's Story by Steven Gould A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson (a reread, I'm already UTD in this series)

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 11407 comments Mod
Nice mix of titles, Jessika. Enjoy your reading!

message 3: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Jonetta wrote: "Nice mix of titles, Jessika. Enjoy your reading!"

Thanks! I'm an eclectic reader, but my favorite genres are memoirs and sci-fi/fantasy. Weird combo, huh? :)

message 4: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Finished F is for Fugitive today, so I guess I won't count that for June!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2344 comments Good luck with your plan, hope you enjoy!

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Have a great month, Jessika. I tried watching the tv show based on the Dirk Gently books but I was too confused, lol. I had wanted to read the book first but never got around to it.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4522 comments Mod
Nice list, Jessika.
Can't go wrong with Dickens. Enjoy!

message 8: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Laura wrote: "Good luck with your plan, hope you enjoy!"

Thanks, I'll do my best!

message 9: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Veronica wrote: "Have a great month, Jessika. I tried watching the tv show based on the Dirk Gently books but I was too confused, lol. I had wanted to read the book first but never got around to it."

Douglas Adams definitely has an interesting style, and if you aren't used to it, it can be confusing. Dirk, who I would have assumed was the main character, didn't even show up til almost halfway through the first book! I've never watched the show, but if it's anything like the book (or like Hitchhiker's Guide for that matter), I could see how it might be a little off-putting.

message 10: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Lauren wrote: "Nice list, Jessika.
Can't go wrong with Dickens. Enjoy!"

Thanks! I'm really terrible at reading classics. The slow pace and the clunky wording just don't fit me well, so I struggle to even decide to pick them up. But I'm reading Tale as a buddy read with another group, so hopefully that will help!

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

Jessika wrote: "Thanks! I'm really terrible at reading classics. The slow pace and the clunky wording just don't fit me well, so I struggle to even decide to pick them up. But I'm reading Tale as a buddy read with another group, so hopefully that will help!.."

I had the same issues but then switched to audio and wham! I’m loving them. Having someone else read them appropriately has made all the difference. I don’t have to stall over sentence structures anymore.

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4522 comments Mod
Jessika wrote: "But I'm reading Tale as a buddy read with another group, so hopefully that will help!"

Reading with others often makes all the difference :)

message 13: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Finished Exo (Jumper, #4) by Steven Gould today. This was the last in the series, and I searched all over today to see if another book was expected, and couldn't find any mention of another. So technically, completed, but I have Jumper Griffin's Story by Steven Gould , a spin-off, to read before I'm officially done.

Overall, I gave this book 3.5 stars. The story was interesting, but bogged down with a lot of science and calculations that were dull to me as the reader. And if it is truly the last of the series, then how the MCs dealt with the big, over-arching villian was a major let-down. SOoOOooOOOooo anticlimactic.

Series as a whole, I'd still give 3.5 stars. Worth reading, but not worth re-reading.

message 14: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Finished Jumper Griffin's Story by Steven Gould today, so I'm marking this series as complete!

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

Congrats!

message 16: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Finished 3 books today!

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson

A total of 5 book for the month, including the completion of one series. Not bad! I'll carry on in July.