Short Fiction - Goodman's AmLit discussion

Twin Study
This topic is about Twin Study
The theme in Twin Study

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack.Li (new)

Jack.Li | 4 comments Twin Study was describing a future would where twin need to do tests in order for scientists to discover their similarities and differences. In this future world, people already knew lots about the link between traits and DNAs. This novel reminds me a lot about Blade Runner, it's movie about clone people in future was created and served, studied be scientists. Back to the topic, I think there are two themes about the film. Firstly, it is about the whole general reality of the world in Twin Study, where twins have to be studied by scientists and given special numbers. As scientists' perspective, the twin's identity isn't that important. Their identities for them are just study subjects, but the twins in the Twin Study were trying to make their own identity which relates to the second theme---family. As the novel described, we don't know much about the twins' parents, so Samantha was considerably the only family number of Amanda. In the beginning of the novel, Amanda and Samantha was appealing to hate each other because they want to show their difference between each other for scientists, although they tried to lie for the science questions, but every time their answer appealing to be same. In the end they realized that they are sisters, although they tried to be different from the other, inside of them they share the same blood. Lastly they understand each other and say goodbye, I think it tells a lot about they recognize each other as family.

message 2: by Jacky.Tang (new)

Jacky.Tang | 3 comments I have watched Blade Runner, so I have a brief feeling about what you said, and in the society that twins are seemed to be the same is everywhere, not only in the fiction, but I have a quection related to your theme about identity, does Amanda really love Evan or she married Evan just for maoney and being apart from Smantha

message 3: by Jack.Li (new)

Jack.Li | 4 comments Jacky.Tang wrote: "I have watched Blade Runner, so I have a brief feeling about what you said, and in the society that twins are seemed to be the same is everywhere, not only in the fiction, but I have a question rel..."
Actually Amanda has spread her feelings about Evan, she was saying that"Evan is not bad." In another word, they were just toughly staying together. And by staying together can provide Amanda a much easier life .

message 4: by Jacky.Tang (new)

Jacky.Tang | 3 comments Jack.Li wrote: "Jacky.Tang wrote: "I have watched Blade Runner, so I have a brief feeling about what you said, and in the society that twins are seemed to be the same is everywhere, not only in the fiction, but I ..."
In my opinion, I'm more in favor of the first opinon that there is love between Amanda and Evan, because although Amdanda said:"Evan is not bad." but she was said this to Smantha, before that Smantha was saying Evan is bad, if Evan is a bad person, Amanda don't have to disagree with her opinion.

message 5: by Jack.Li (new)

Jack.Li | 4 comments Jacky.Tang wrote: "Jack.Li wrote: "Jacky.Tang wrote: "I have watched Blade Runner, so I have a brief feeling about what you said, and in the society that twins are seemed to be the same is everywhere, not only in the...""he is not bad" is just Amanda's direct feelings about Evan, if they have true love, she could just said "Evan is perfect." Plus, Evan is 15 years older than Amanda, who would love somebody that's much old if it wasn't because of money

message 6: by Jacky.Tang (new)

Jacky.Tang | 3 comments Jack.Li wrote: "Jacky.Tang wrote: "Jack.Li wrote: "Jacky.Tang wrote: "I have watched Blade Runner, so I have a brief feeling about what you said, and in the society that twins are seemed to be the same is everywhe..."
But I think money is not the only motivation for Amanda to marry Evan, because there are rich man everywhere and remember Evan has a troublesome kid who is vrazy, I think no body would marry a rich old man and a crazy kid if wasn't true love

message 7: by Jack.Li (new)

Jack.Li | 4 comments Jacky.Tang wrote: "Jack.Li wrote: "Jacky.Tang wrote: "Jack.Li wrote: "Jacky.Tang wrote: "I have watched Blade Runner, so I have a brief feeling about what you said, and in the society that twins are seemed to be the ..."
Money is the only thing that make Amanda to marry Evan. Plus, I don't think Evan have some real feelings on Amanda, he married Amanda just because Amanda is beautiful, so he abandoned his old wife