What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Interactive, Multiple Choice, murder mystery book from the 90s

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Valladares | 3 comments I read a book as a child in the late 90s that was a multiple choice murder mystery "Can you solve it" type book. I think it had a beige or brown cover, paperback, and pretty thin. It had a lot of short stories, with a picture on the left most page, and a short description with a few questions after. The pictures were all "black and white" or hand drawn almost. You were supposed to figure out how the murder happened.
Please help, i can't find anything in my research!

message 2: by Kris (last edited May 28, 2018 07:36PM) (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
Tanner, did the multiple choice question appear only at the end of each story - i.e., who did it?

Was there a detective or main character in all of the short stories? The same location?

Can you describe some of the stories?

message 3: by Tadgh (new)

Tadgh | 28 comments Was it more of a puzzle book? Like the illustration on the left was a crime scene, the story on the right provided more context for you as to which parts of the picture were clues? Or was the illustration not too relevant to each mystery?

message 4: by Aspiring (new)

Aspiring Scribbler | 67 comments It sounds a lot like the You be the Jury series. Each book had a number of short stories, with a couple of black and white illustrations entered as evidence. The reader had to decide whether the defendant in each case was guilty or not. There were multiple books in the series and multiple editions of each book...

message 5: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Valladares | 3 comments Yes, the illustration was of the crime scene, then on the right there was a very short "story", more like 1 paragraph. Then about 6-8 questions where you had to decide what happened. There was one where a woman appeared to slip in the shower, but there were signs of a struggle. Another in a bar. They were all separate, and there were no "characters".
Aspiring Scribbler, I'll look into those, see if that's it.

Thank you all for your help so far! I really want to give the book another go after many years!

message 6: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Valladares | 3 comments Hmmm, unfortunately it's not the You Be The Judge series.
I feel like the cover was brown and black. Like no real color. Big words. Maybe red words? The book was probably 8 x 9.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40687 comments Mod
Tanner, are you still looking for this or did you find it?