What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Just to chat > Book theme songs

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosa (last edited May 27, 2018 11:07PM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Which song most closely matches American Psycho in theme, tone, or character? I’m torn between “Hip to be Square,” by Huey Lewis and the News, and “Rockin’ in the Free World,” by Neil Young. “Holiday in Cambodia,” by the Dead Kennedys, also seems to have some things in common with the novel, but feels more like it’s Patrick’s friends’ theme song, not Patrick’s own.
My Goodreads friend Ceilidh has a blog called the Bibliophile Playlist, here: https://bibliophileplaylist.wordpress...
She pairs books with songs that seem to match them in theme or feeling. I’d like to hear about any book/song pairs you might think of.

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Or "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...

message 3: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments What book/song matches can you think of?

message 4: by Paige (last edited Aug 13, 2018 08:45PM) (new)

Paige | 795 comments For what I feel are obvious reasons, Fleming and John's "The Pearl" always reminds me of The Pearl. Given how little I liked the story, I feel I should point out that I do like the song.

Edited to add: Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys always makes me think of Katniss from The Hunger Games.

Edited to add another:
Again for what I feel are obvious reasons, Ariel by October Project always reminds me of The Tempest

message 5: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Good ones, Paige! I especially like "Girl On Fire" and The Hunger Games (that's the only pair of which I've both heard the song and read the book).

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments I would nominate Watching the Detectives by Elvis Costello to go with the Tana French book In the Woods.

The explanation is spoilery: (view spoiler)

Although, according to wikipedia the song is just about someone's girlfriend who would rather watch TV than be romantic.

message 7: by Kell I Am (last edited Sep 12, 2018 05:24AM) (new)

Kell I Am | 187 comments There is an M/M book, Bareback by Chris Owen. The country song "A Cowboy's Born with a Broken Heart" by Boy Howdy has always reminded me of that book.

message 8: by Paige (new)

Paige | 795 comments Who Wants To Live Forever? by Queen for Tuck Everlasting

message 9: by Lyn (new)

Lyn McNeil | 33 comments When I read Time Traveler’s Wife I was also listening to Snow Patrol’s album ‘Eyes Open’. The lyrics and mood fit so perfectly with the book that I can’t listen to the album without thinking of that book, and it has been over 6 years. I refuse to watch the movie because I don’t want to ruin that atmosphere/mood/magic that my brain created. It is perfect

message 10: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments All your responses are so interesting and personal. Does anyone else have any book/song pairings?

message 11: by Rosa (last edited May 29, 2020 07:10PM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Flowers for Algernon--"If I Only Had a Brain."
"Then perhaps I'll deserve ya and be even worthy erv ya...if I only had a brain."