75 Books...More or Less! discussion

The Beasts of Tarzan (Tarzan, #3)
This topic is about The Beasts of Tarzan
Book Buddies > The Beasts of Tarzan (Tarzan #3) by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited May 27, 2018 10:23PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Carol (carol07) | 3092 comments Hi! Looking for a different read? Joy and I are doing a Buddy Read starting 6/1 of The Beasts of Tarzan (Tarzan, #3) by Edgar Rice Burroughs Beasts of Tarzan (Tarzan, #3) by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Here is the blurb from Goodreads:

As THE BEASTS OF TARZAN begins, Tarzan -- as Lord Greystoke -- is settled in civilized London. But two of his enemies, Nikolas Rokoff and henchman Alexis Paulvitch, are on his trail. The pair abducts Jane -- and Tarzan's son, Jack. Tarzan himself is stranded on a desert island, but with the help of Sheeta the panther and Akut the great ape he makes it back to the mainland. There he meets Mugambi, the giant chief of the Wagambi tribe, who becomes Tarzan's lifelong friend and ally. The group heads into the deep jungle after the kidnappers -- and when Tarzan finds them he lets the beast inside him wreck his vengeance. There's a beautiful irony, here -- Tarzan has come from the jungle into civilization, and his son must go from civilization to the jungle.

message 2: by Joanne (last edited May 27, 2018 11:00PM) (new)

Joanne I think I can join you I can get a copy I think. It’s funny you use 6/1 I do it opposite 1/6/18

Carol (carol07) | 3092 comments Joanne wrote: "I think I can join you I can get a copy I think. It’s funny you use 6/1 I do it opposite 1/6/18"

Oh, I didn't think about that. I forgot people from other parts of the world did it different. I will have to start writing it out.

Glad you are joining the buddy read. Have you read the first two, yet?

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Carol wrote: "Joanne wrote: "I think I can join you I can get a copy I think. It’s funny you use 6/1 I do it opposite 1/6/18"

Oh, I didn't think about that. I forgot people from other parts of the world did it ..."

Oh don’t worry I can figure it out. No I haven’t read any but I’m sure I can figure out what’s gone on before. Looking forward to it.

Carol (carol07) | 3092 comments Started! Am flashing back to watching old Tarzan movies as a kid. Actually, the real books are pretty different.

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Started as well. 😁😁

Carol (carol07) | 3092 comments Finished - I liked it. Felt like a classic adventure book.

message 8: by Joanne (last edited Jun 03, 2018 06:50PM) (new)

Joanne I am switching to a audio edition I found @.

LibriVox why hasn’t anybody said there is a LibriVox app!! Goodness what a difference that makes.

message 9: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy | 531 comments Finished!

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments I found my Omnibus (I went through a Tarzan phase many years back) so I'll start tonight. I read it a long time ago and I remember enjoying it, so it will be fun to see if it holds up.

Carol (carol07) | 3092 comments Stacie wrote: "I found my Omnibus (I went through a Tarzan phase many years back) so I'll start tonight. I read it a long time ago and I remember enjoying it, so it will be fun to see if it holds up."

Funny how one's perspective changes from a youth to an adult.

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments I just finished this one. Once I reminded myself that Tarzan takes place in an 'alternate universe' where lions, leopards and great apes live in the same habitats (lol) it was easy to get sucked in. Burroughs does a surprisingly good job of writing complex action sequences with clarity... but characterizations are not his strongest point. Jane... oh, Jane. I remember not liking her character much the first time I read these. Now I can't stand her!

Carol (carol07) | 3092 comments Stacie wrote: "I just finished this one. Once I reminded myself that Tarzan takes place in an 'alternate universe' where lions, leopards and great apes live in the same habitats (lol) it was easy to get sucked in..."

Yeah, I didn't put 2 and 2 together about the animals until well into adulthood...

message 14: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy | 531 comments Has anyone read any of his other series? I’ve started the Pellucidar books, and they are more clearly an alternate universe. Tarzan #13 and Pellucidar #4 are the same book (Tarzan at the Earth’s Core), which I think is super cool. Between the two series, I only have 11 books to read before I get to it. 😁

Carol (carol07) | 3092 comments I read A Princess of Mars (Barsoom #1) . I liked it.

As a kid, I loved watching the Tarzan movies and also movies based on the books of Jules Verne.

message 16: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - added it

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7998 comments Mod
I've read the first 4 or 5 John Carter books