Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4650 comments Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - 4.5 stars rounded up

I noticed several others read this book for this tag, so there are a few other threads and opinions to check out if you're interested.

My review:
Contemporary fiction about an eccentric young woman with a tragic past that has left her emotionally and physically scarred. Eleanor has limited social skills and an almost non-existent support network but is highly intelligent and pragmatic. As we gradually learn about the trauma she has experienced, we begin to understand the reasons behind her atypical behavior. She is a survivor, trying her best to be “fine.”

Gail Honeyman has a knack for creating memorable characters: Eleanor, Raymond, the older man they rescue, the egotistical singer, even the cat had a distinct personality. The author created a unique voice for Eleanor: formal, articulate, direct, literal, sometimes harsh, always factual, never self-pitying. The reader is aware that Eleanor can be extremely naïve and can see trouble coming. In a sense, the reader being “in the know” while Eleanor lacks self-awareness is part of the appeal of this novel. While parts are very dark and sad, it also contains a good bit of dry humor prompted by Eleanor’s attempts to make sense of her environment. Themes include loneliness, depression, numbing of undesired feelings, and friendship. Ultimately, it shows how a touch of human kindness can help an individual gain the courage to try to vanquish personal demons.

Content warnings include emotional and physical abuse, profanity, alcohol dependence, self-harm, depression, and a psychopathic character. Recommended to those that appreciate character-driven tales of personal transformation or storylines addressing mental health-related challenges.

Link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6756 comments I have this out from the library now, and just need to find a way to squeeze it in! Another 5 star review - especially from you - - makes me want to put in more effort to get to it.

message 3: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4650 comments Thanks, Anita, I will look forward to hearing your thoughts!

message 4: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments I am really excited to read this book. Hoping to get hold of a copy soon

message 5: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4650 comments Hope you like it, AJ!