Jewish Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived nominations/book ideas > Book Suggestions from Members

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for compiling the suggestions. I look forward to yours as well.

message 2: by Stacey B (new)

Stacey B | 1183 comments Mod
You are welcome.
There are a lot of books.
I suppose I should choose 5 books per genre- to start.
But I think I should limit the genres.
What do you think??

message 3: by Philip (new)

Philip Mann | 28 comments This isn't a college course, people choose what they want. the list is simply suggestions.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Stacey wrote: "You are welcome.
There are a lot of books.
I suppose I should choose 5 books per genre- to start.
But I think I should limit the genres.
What do you think??"

Oh goodness, I may not be the one to ask. I would list them all and let people choose. But thats how my brain works.

message 5: by Stacey B (new)

Philip wrote: "This isn't a college course, people choose what they want. the list is simply suggestions."

Philip- I was referring to the next list I post.
There are 253 new books from JBC, and I dont have the time to type in all of them. Hopefully I will get an "A".

message 6: by Charles (new)

Charles Weinblatt (charles_weinblatt) Stacey wrote: "Thank you to the members who have suggested books.
As promised, I am posting "most" of their suggestions- as there were so many.
I will try to add some more tomorrow.
None of these are my suggesti..."

Stacey, I am humbled to see my book in your list and among so many wonderful authors (http://jacobscourage.wordpress.com). Thanks.

Chuck

message 7: by Stacey B (new)

Charles wrote: "Stacey wrote: "Thank you to the members who have suggested books.
None of these ..."

Well deserved!!

message 8: by Stacey B (new)

Maricela wrote: "Thanks you for Book Suggestions."
You are welcome :)

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Stein | 2 comments Two of the books you listed, The Invisible Bridge, and The Right Thing To Do at the Time, are books I've read. The first is one of my favorite books of all time and I'd recommend it to anyone. The second is interesting and different, and also a good book to read.

If I might, I'd add Steve Stern to the list, especially The Frozen Rabbi.

message 10: by Stacey B (new)

Cindy... Im glad you recognized your "read" books in the JBC new books and their authors list, as well as suggestions from members.
Be my guest; please add as many as you want. :)
Authors love and want as much PR as possible.
Thank you for sending a comment. It is truly appreciated.

message 11: by Charles (new)

Charles Weinblatt (charles_weinblatt) Read my review of "The Crate: A Story Of War, A Murder, And Justice, now at the New York Journal of Books, https://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book...

This is a stunning, clever, evocative new book by Deborah Vadas Levison. She is a gifted writer, spinning a murder mystery too amazing to be true - except it is! She delivers a brilliant tale of murder, intrigue, faith, genocide, and a horrendous murder that shakes the family deep into its roots.

Again: https://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book...

message 12: by Judy (new)

Judy Stacey wrote: "Thank you to the members who have suggested books.
None of these are my suggesti..."

I am delighted to see my memoir, "The Skeptic and the Rabbi: Falling in Love with Faith," on this list. It has a terrific readers' guide, and I am so pleased by the (current) 44 nearly 5-star reviews on Amazon and more than 103 strong ratings here on Goodreads. Thank you for including it!

message 13: by Stacey B (new)

My pleasure.
It was a wonderful book.
Going to make sure I remembered to rate it; if not, will do so now.

message 14: by Judy (new)

Judy Thank you, Stacey. I appreciate your kind words so much!

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Hart-Green | 14 comments I'd like to second that. I also read Judy Gruen's book THE SKEPTIC AND THE RABBI and thoroughly enjoyed it!
(Thanks also for including my novel COME BACK FOR ME on your list, Stacey. I appreciate it!)

message 16: by Stacey B (new)

You are quite welcome as well. .
Sharon, your book was also great, and as well as having wonderful manners...you already thanked me when I posted it. :)

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice | 1930 comments Mod
Cindy wrote: "...If I might, I'd add Steve Stern to the list, especially The Frozen Rabbi."

I've read that!
I learned a lot from the history but didn't care so much for the fantasy that frames the story and thought some people might be freaked out. You think they wouldn't mind?

I was just checking through old book recommendations, trying to come up with a new list, and when I saw your recommendation, thought I'd solicit your feedback!

message 18: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice | 1930 comments Mod
This discussion consisted of suggested books back in 2018, with some additional comments. Will close the thread so that future discussion can migrate to current threads.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.