What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Breathe My Name
This topic is about Breathe My Name
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA adopted girl road trips Southern U.S. to talk to birth mother and heal. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tadgh | 28 comments General details:

YA realistic fiction (not exactly romance, definitely not mystery)
Read prior to 2012, around 2008 (2007-2010?), contemporary
Set throughout the South, starting in small-town Bethlehem in the Bible Belt, ending in the Carolinas
Hard cover sleeve design was girl standing in a fogged mirror with the title and author written into the fog, with it textured as such.

Plot:

Adopted high school girl with PTSD has memories of "before," with somewhat frequent mentions of what her childhood was like with her birth mother and siblings. A guy she ends up dating offers to drive her across the South to her birth mother to talk about the past.

Spoilers? (super obvious ones are flagged hidden):

It's fairly readily apparent her mother killed her other siblings (this could be considered a crime book I guess). (view spoiler)
(view spoiler) I believe this has something to do with the title?
When they find her birth mother in the Carolinas, (view spoiler)
A lot of her "before" memories are of just her and her mother and her siblings in their house out in the middle of nowhere. Their house has a well and is near a patch of mud with crawdads in it.

Other details that might help find this book:

The main girl is under 5 foot, and her boyfriend is 6 foot or over.
They have a date before the road trip in a furniture store. There's some analogy I can't fully remember regarding the difference in used/own furniture versus new.
On their road trip, around the longer part detailing a motel stay and a pizza dinner, he teaches her how to drive a manual car, even though she can't fully touch the pedals.
She talks about a house on the side of the highway looking not unlike the house she grew up in so maybe her mother's house wasn't well-kept.
I remember the ending is in the Carolinas for the long talks regarding "Spanish moss" and shell-paved roads being "slicker than bird turds," although I don't remember which Carolina.

I remember a lot of detail regarding this book and it's driving me up the wall. I used to own it, no longer have access to it, and nothing I search has turned up any results.

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
Breathe My Name by R.A. Nelson?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Tadgh | 28 comments YES. Thank you so much, this is exactly it!

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21139 comments Breathe My Name for the trackable link.