Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3)
This topic is about Taste of Darkness
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Snyder Maria V ; Taste of Darkness (Healer #3) ; Informal Buddy Read Starts 16 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 27, 2018 06:42PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod

Synopsis
She's fought death and won. But how can she fight her fears?

Avry knows hardship and trouble. She fought the plague and survived. She took on King Tohon and defeated him. But now her heart-mate, Kerrick, is missing, and Avry fears he's gone forever.

But there's a more immediate threat: The Skeleton King plots to claim the Fifteen Realms for his own. With armies in disarray and the dead not staying down, Avry's healing powers are needed now more than ever.

Torn between love and loyalty, Avry must choose her path carefully. For the future of her world depends on her decision.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

Laura | 3927 comments We're pushing this one back about 10 days, for anyone interested in reading with us.

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Is this still a go on the 16th?

Laura | 3927 comments Yep!

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Is there to be a discussion or questions?

I enjoyed the book! I didn't think it was the best of the trilogy, but glad to have read it.

Laura | 3927 comments With the previous book Danielle and I just posted our thoughts as we read. No formal questions or anything.

Laura | 3927 comments My other book today took too dang long, but I'm hoping to get a few chapters in while I stay up later than I should. :)

Laura | 3927 comments Chapter 1. If I hadn’t just read the first 2 very recently, I probably wouldn’t mind. But that was a lot of info dump.

Laura | 3927 comments *sigh*

Another Snyder book where the MCs spend most of the book apart. I know this will happen because (view spoiler)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4642 comments Didn’t manage to begin reading this yesterday. I have it ready to start in a bit.

Laura | 3927 comments Chapter 6

(view spoiler)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4642 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 1. If I hadn’t just read the first 2 very recently, I probably wouldn’t mind. But that was a lot of info dump."

Yes, lots of information recaped in that chapter.

The good thing about reading trilogies/series after one another, there’s no long wait on cliffhangers. But you do get info repeated that you know.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4642 comments Laura wrote: "*sigh*

Another Snyder book where the MCs spend most of the book apart. I know this will happen because [spoilers removed]"

Agree, (view spoiler). They were reunited at end at book 2 and author has to separate them again.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4642 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 6

[spoilers removed]..."

I’m suprised (view spoiler)

message 16: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited Jun 17, 2018 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4642 comments Chapter 8

(view spoiler)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4642 comments Chapter 9

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3927 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Chapter 8"

I said in the previous book that I thought it was more than a dream. We don’t really now very much about Tohan’s magic.

Laura | 3927 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Chapter 9

[spoilers removed]"

Missions for Ryne, of course.

(view spoiler)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4642 comments Yes, they are really great together and it’s been nice seeing them here.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4642 comments Chapter 13

(view spoiler)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments I agree! It's so much more fun when they're together. I thought they spent too much time apart in this book.

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3927 comments Not sure which chapter, but 45%.

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3927 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Chapter 13

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3927 comments Chapter 14

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3927 comments Chapter 15

I think Kerrick is going to go into hibernation during winter.

message 27: by Chris (last edited Jun 17, 2018 09:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 15

I think Kerrick is going to go into hibernation during winter."

I wondered if he'd ever get his regular powers back? The thought of hibernation isn't so hot.

Laura | 3927 comments Chris wrote: "Laura wrote: "Chapter 15

I think Kerrick is going to go into hibernation during winter."

I wondered if he'd ever get his regular powers back? The thought of hibernation isn't so hot."

The end hinted that he will.

Laura | 3927 comments Finished. Not my favorite of the trilogy, and I agree with the reviews that said the end felt rushed. And the Skeleton King, for such a big, scary, bad guy, was dealt with too easily. But overall I enjoyed it. Gave it 3.5 stars, and rounded up.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4642 comments I finished too. I enjoyed it, but also wasn’t my favourite. There was many things in this last one and they were rushed and ended too easily. Like Avry and Kerrick together.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4642 comments Laura wrote: "Finished. Not my favorite of the trilogy, and I agree with the reviews that said the end felt rushed. And the Skeleton King, for such a big, scary, bad guy, was dealt with too easily. But overall I..."

Yeah, the Skeleton King seemed thrown in to add more problems but didn’t add much trouble in being dealt with.

message 32: by Chris (last edited Jun 18, 2018 05:24AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments I agree the Skeleton King was no big whoop. He reminded me of the guy in GOT that wore all the skeleton bones.

Are we expecting another in this series? I sort of felt like it ended.

Laura | 3927 comments Chris wrote: "I agree the Skeleton King was no big whoop. He reminded me of the guy in GOT that wore all the skeleton bones.

Are we expecting another in this series? I sort of felt like it ended."

I don't see anything on Goodreads about another one. And she completed this one several years ago.