What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Japanese Fairy Tale
This topic is about A Japanese Fairy Tale
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children Picture Book, Japanese Fairy Tale. Possible Spoiler ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Alexander | 3 comments This may contain a spoiler ?? I read this picture book to my children mid 1990s. My son now has a baby is desperately trying to recall the title .I believe it was Japanese folk tale. It is about an ugly hunchback scholar who tutors the young beautiful daughter of an important king (or warrior ?) . In heaven, before a baby is born, they are matched up with a "soul mate" BUT right before they are born an "angel" presses a finger into the upper lip of the baby and erases all memories of this soul mate . This is why we are supposedly born with the dent in our upper lip ( philtrum) . It turns out that before birth the tutor was a pretty baby and the young girl was deformed but somehow the tutor switched places with her while still in heaven because he loved her (?) ... They end up falling in love. Can ANYONE help us ? Truly appreciate it .

message 2: by Tadgh (last edited May 28, 2018 05:36PM) (new) - added it

Tadgh | 28 comments I doubt I've looked as hard as you, but my search for "japanese fairy tale picture book" suggested Japanese Fairy Tales, a collection of stories. Could it have been in a collection of stories, or was it more of a one-off?

I ask because that's the only thing I've found that's Japanese. I've also found Before You Were Born, which has the angel and upper lip dent details.

Otherwise, I'm only able to find sites like this one listing a few, but sites like this might help you at least find the name?

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Alexander | 3 comments THANK YOU ! I've done extensive searching but always love new suggestions. The book you recommend definitely hits upon that theme but is not exactly what i am looking for.
BUT, really appreciative of suggestions .
Best,
Nancy

message 4: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments I can't find any plot online so this is just guess: The Hunchback and the Princess?

message 5: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 214 comments The one that you mentioned, Ayshe, is a fairy tale by a German author, not Japanese. Also the hunchback is not tutoring the princess, but in a competition against other suitors the king has started in order to find her a husband.
So that's probably not the book in question.

message 6: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments How about A Japanese Fairy Tale? It is reviewed here as: A beautiful princess named Kyoko is married to a hideous man, a hunchback with a face distorted by warts. They are an unusual pair with an unusual story. He was her tutor and won her over with his kindness but there’s much more to that. When he was born and it was revealed by angels who his wife to be was, he was able to learn that his future wife was disfigured and grotesque. Defying the gods, he begged them for a request. And the outcome came true.
https://www.pragmaticmom.com/2017/08/...

message 7: by Nancy (last edited May 29, 2018 06:30AM) (new)

Nancy Alexander | 3 comments MYSTERY SOLVED by AYSHE ! Thank you soooooo much ! YES, that is it..... A Japanese Fairy Tale , by Jane Hori Ike , Baruch Zimmerman.
For some reason I thought it had an unusual name ! and when I was glancing through Amazon I was looking for covers to jolt my memory.
But you nailed it .
This is wonderful , as are you !!! Yippie , now off to get my son a copy.
Thank you again !
Nancy